Right i got an ecu from a 1992 Jap starlet soleil to fit to my car. From what i can tell, ignition setup is the same design and everything else should be the same.

Did these come with an immobiliser? The car will start for a split second and then cuts out and wont start again unless i reset the ecu..

Any help appreciated.

Green label is jap ecu

ecu10.jpg

well i reset the ecu by disconnecting the ecu.. but it only starts for litterally less than a second each time and then wont again until i reset it so its not bypassing it, more like only realising it needs to kick in again. I didnt think they had an immobiliser that early either but its got me thinking now..

I opened both my ecus and, well the jap one has a lot more going on inside. I checked the pinouts and they SEEM to be the same..

The only thing i can think of is this. Im not entirely sure what it is tbh. Duno if its relevant or not.

20140623_173351_zpsubhcjamz.jpg

It sits just infront of the ABS ECU in my 85, it was plugged in when i got the car but since i changed the looms for GT looms there was no plug for it.

the key reminder (white box) is just for when you leave your key in and it will bleep ?

pop off the lids on both ecu and match the pinouts, the uk spec ecu might have the imo pin which is the immobilisar pin so that could be your issue or the jap spec ecu might have had a external coil or ignitor but its very easy ti identify if you simply pop off both lids and compare the pin-outs, hope this helps but i am a newby when it comes to wiring lol

• 7 months later...

I've tried this too, and there is at least 1 pin different. The pin labeled as IGF on the board is on a different position, the one next to it, on the jdm ecu. I soldered the 2 together and than it ran for more than a second. I had some other problems regarding the TPS and ICV too. I don't know if the uk starlets have a on/off type tps or a variable, but if you have a variable you'll need a on/off type as the ecu doesn't recognize a variable one.

Here is what's on the pcb's of my (Belgian) ecu and the japanese one

ecu_zpsiq8gytsp.png

hi thanks for the info very handy did u get it to run? i have the inlet manifold an tb from the same car so i have the right sensors to go with it, could u give me a bit more info on what wires u joined together just im not quite sure witch ones u joined ?thanks

Sorry I made a mistake in it, it's the IGT that's different between the 2, if you change the wire from location it should allready start. Like I said i haven't tried to make the tps work yet, and I probably won't anymore as I've got an emanage blue now.

Capture_zps8kjoy3vj.png

• 4 months later...

I have been experiencing the same issue with a 1999 Corolla ECU.

I performed and engine swap from a 2E engine to a 1999 4E-FE in my EE90 Liftback and I can't get the engine to continue running. It starts for less than a second and cuts. The ECU clearly needs an immobiliser signal. I wired in the Immobiliser box and taped the key to the transponder but it still isn't having any of it.

Has this problem been solved yet?

KP