Acl bearing set vs oem bearing set

The only reason ACL suggest to inspect/replace the bearings at 25k mile is to ensure the crank remains in good serviceable condition. Remember that it is easier and cheaper to replace bearings than it is a crank!

Also ACL do not make a "Race" version bearing for the E series engine, they only do OEM replacement and Duraglide.

Nothing wrong with OEM bearings either.

I was just thinking though Adam mate 25k is not a lot of mileage then having to get the crank out which means stripping the engine again to change all the bearings I take it? I'm just wondering how much Bhp is safe on oem bearings rather then acl?

I was just thinking though Adam mate 25k is not a lot of mileage then having to get the crank out which means stripping the engine again to change all the bearings I take it? I'm just wondering how much Bhp is safe on oem bearings rather then acl?

It's not bhp that's the problem it's boost levels and oil clearances. The tighter the clearances the less boost you can run because in theory the rod will be pushed against the bearing which results in the wear. Too loose clearances and you will use excessive amounts of oil and have lower oil pressure.

I say it time and time again, when you make an improvement in one area there's a trade off to make somewhere else, nothing can be had for free unfortunately. It's like taking a stock engine from having service intervals at every 10k miles then having the engine forged and still expecting to keep the same service schedule. When you run more power, more things need attention on a more regular basis.

I'm sure Phil will know this but Spuddy with his 600bhp engine used to strip and inspect the crank and replace the bearings after every couple of race meetings.

Edited by AdamB

I know what your saying mate and I totally agree with you I suppose the moral of this topic was it recommends you change the acl bearings at 25k but with the oem bearings what come in starlets to begin with are still running fine on the cars after like 90k miles and they have upped the boost etc

Yeah I see where your coming from. I guess its not to say that the ACL's won't last as long as OEM ones, I suspect that there's a lot of forged engines out there running the ACL bearing and have covered double their recommended interval and had no problems.

Possibly just to cover ACL ass.