Larger Valves in a 4efte head

As above am about to get head work done at the min I was considering bigger valves but wasn't sure am going with the following spec

extended port polish 2mm

upgraded valve stem seals

upgraded springs

3angle valve seats

the port polish will open the throats to 2mm mimic of 1.5mm oversized valves

maybe this info will help someone

who is doing this work>?

and is this a list of what they are telling you they will do?

id be keen for them to explain

throats 2mm mimic 1.5 oversized valves?

Just to make sure it wasnt a typo that they would open the seat up leaving you requiring a MIN of 1.5mm oversize valves!

which would be a costly misinterpretation lol

bigger straight fit valves are mad money.

all sounds good then man. (zisco are good)

Phil

Edited by Phil
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry but what a crock of shit.

How on earth can a throat mimic a valve size?

The throat can flow all the air I'm the atmosphere, but that doesn't mean the seat is going to flow that much.

Classic case of a salesman trying to do an engineers job.

Edited by AdamB
  • 10 months later...

Think Phil is still running stock valves, but I'm sure he'll chime in soon.

Unfortunately valves are very often overlooked, even though its the first place to start when looking at getting air into and out of the engine... :sad:

putting bigger valves in theses head changes alot of things

i learned the hard way and paid for it too be rectified !

heres what happens in the wrong hands !

(We have checked the valve spring pressures. At fitted length they are 55.6 to 58.4 lbs.

Over the nose of the cam they are 124 to 126.5 lbs. which is very low, especially for a turbo charged

application where the boost pressure is lessening the poundage on the inlet valves. You may risk valve blow by on high boost.

Coil binding occurs at 0.80 inch. At the current fitted length you are 0.225 inch off coil bind at full cam lift.

We would run as close as 0.060 inch on some engines if they require it. (1.5mm.)

I would suggest that the spring poundages are increased by using a thicker spring seat. The current spring seats are very agricultural (Machined washers of some sort.) To use a thicker spring seat would invlove a purpose made seat to locate the bottom of the valve spring. This is currently located by a machined step in the head casting, outboard of the valve guide. Using a thicker plain spacer would lose this location of the valve spring. There is enough space however to machine a purpose designed spring seat.)

this is just a very small part of putting bigger valves in

rectified now and reving too 8250rpm (5e)

next step back too back test on a flow bench.

Just as an update

I just replaced exhaust valves for new ones (stock)

Low mileage stock springs

268* cans 8.7mm lift ex and intake

Solid lifters

Everything else standard.

Revving to 7800ish

Phil

• 1 month later...

The thing I don't get now is. I've seen Dylan push out 550 or so bhp on a head that's not even ported never mind bigger valves. Grant it his graph doesn't look the best but I ask myself is it realy all worth the big costs? Ported head springs cams is all that's needed realy

The thing I don't get now is. I've seen Dylan push out 550 or so bhp on a head that's not even ported never mind bigger valves. Grant it his graph doesn't look the best but I ask myself is it realy all worth the big costs? Ported head springs cams is all that's needed realy

I'm not sure Sean.

Your likely the man to find out.

I know that a big power turbo motor will make 450+ per litre

That would be 585+ on a 4e

I'd say to make that you would be looking every last bit from everywhere. And probably e85 or better

Phil

It's not about making power, it's about making the car driveable and well mannered.

^^^THIS^^^

There is a lot to be said for big peak power engines, but an engine that pulls solid throughout the rev range is a lot more difficult to do. A lot more work involved.