Larger Valves in a 4efte head

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fart

any technical details on the collet groove?

Phil

No idea on that mate. Only one thing to do would be to measure them if you can get hold of a spare valve.

Hmm I got different specs to you on the 3SGTE, I got length of 99.5mm stem length, 5.97mm stem diameter and a stock 29mm head diameter.

I've got a bit of spare time, I'm just going to design some valves haha :thumbsup:

No idea on that mate. Only one thing to do would be to measure them if you can get hold of a spare valve.

Hmm I got different specs to you on the 3SGTE, I got length of 99.5mm stem length, 5.97mm stem diameter and a stock 29mm head diameter.

I've got a bit of spare time, I'm just going to design some valves haha :thumbsup:

dbilas still list valves for the 4efte and though cheaper than supertech they are still dear.

Phil

This is what you need mate :thumbsup:

93.3mm stem length, Stem Diameter 5.97mm undercut 5mm, 27.5mm head diameter

ExhaustValve_zps18726370.jpg

No collet locks cut because I don't know the dimensions for them haha.

Yeah Dbilas aren't as well recognized as SuperTech though, SuperTech are right up there with Ferrea.

Haha, I could send the design off to supertech and get some custom made ones but would need to be sure that they fit the cylinder head without interupting the inlet valves.

Nah I use Catia :)

Haha, I could send the design off to supertech and get some custom made ones but would need to be sure that they fit the cylinder head without interupting the inlet valves.

Nah I use Catia :)

id also need a personal loan Lol!!

ill try to get in touch with Chrisep70greeceguy see what he did with his head regarding the 7mgte valves.

though he did some nice work for sure!! porting and polishing inside.

http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showthread.php?34958-Head-jobs...&p=434935#post434935

Phil

Haha you will have to order in quantity batches as well to make it profitable for them but it won't be as expensive as you think for custom stainless or inconel valves. Depends on your budget though, I guess your working to quite a tight one.

As you've already said you would need the stem cut to the correct length and collet grooves cut back in. All this could be easily done on a lathe which is roughly around £35-£45 per hour, but remembering there are 8 exhaust valves to get through you may be looking at somewhere in the region of £180 to get a complete set of valves done. By the time you factor in your costs of valves, plus machining time you could probably purchase stainless steel valves.

Unless you have a friend who would be willing to help you out for a pack of beer cans that is.

Head work is great, but looks can be deceiving and a few things in that guide I wouldn't think of doing.

You can probably pretty much guarentee that you won't find a valve with the correct stem length and stem diameter to fit without modifying it in some way that's for sure.

Sorry to dissapoint but the 20v 4age won't fit, the stem diameter is too thin 4.97mm I believe. The 16v will fit though except stem length.

The 4age 2mm oversized (27.5mm) come in at like £90 for Supertech ones. You would be mad to go with stock valves for that price.

Supra 7MGTE are the same except stem length but that makes no difference because which ever way you choose it will need machining.

I have a cylinder head just sitting about in my garage, need any measurement????

Thanks for the offer, but Weejohn has already had the ruler on for me :) cheers though

You can probably pretty much guarentee that you won't find a valve with the correct stem length and stem diameter to fit without modifying it in some way that's for sure.

Sorry to dissapoint but the 20v 4age won't fit, the stem diameter is too thin 4.97mm I believe. The 16v will fit though except stem length.

The 4age 2mm oversized (27.5mm) come in at like £90 for Supertech ones. You would be mad to go with stock valves for that price.

Supra 7MGTE are the same except stem length but that makes no difference because which ever way you choose it will need machining.

these are 20v apparently perfect size 2mm oversize and allegedly the right stem dia

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Supertech-Forged-Exhaust-Valve-Set-for-Toyota-Corolla-4AGE-20V-TEVN-1018-/291147383246?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43c9bc81ce

Phil

Those ones from ebay must be custom made for that company, because Supertech don't list valves in that size mate.

have contacted seller to query. the part number and specs dont match.

any way to fit a valve thats very close in size/length? but slight longer stem length.

Phil

ExhaustValve_zps18726370.jpg

No collet locks cut because I don't know the dimensions for them haha.

need the collet lock position now.

and to compare it to a another valve to see if in cutting down i may still have the collet ring there or it may be right at the top of the stem meaning i would be better with something even longer to get it clean outa the way.

Phil

It will have to be the correct length mate or your going to get into a right pickle when it comes to fitting the hydraulic followers.

The measurement you need is called the "tip length" :)

hydraulic lifters? we are bucket and shim all the way in the 4e head no? lol

im told that the 4efte valve tip length is roughly 3.25mm

just need to work out the tip length on the 2vzfe/3vzfe valves.

Phil

Yeah thats what I mean lol. Habbits sake, so many names for these things I just stick with the one :crazy:

Are you still trying to find a valve thats going to drop in without the stem needing cut down?

Yeah thats what I mean lol. Habbits sake, so many names for these things I just stick with the one :crazy:

Are you still trying to find a valve thats going to drop in without the stem needing cut down?

yes

lol

research in the hope that it makes things easier!!

from what i read all we need is enough tip length in the camry valve to allow it to protrude beyond the retainer/collet and into the bucket.

that sound right to you aswell?

Phil

Edited by Phil

If you have too much tip protruding into the bottom of the bucket its going to put your valve clearances out will it not? Hence why I said it will have to be the correct length or you'll end up machining buckets as well as stems.

If you have too much tip protruding into the bottom of the bucket its going to put your valve clearances out will it not? Hence why I said it will have to be the correct length or you'll end up machining buckets as well as stems.

will overall length is min 1.6mm long or max 2.9m (depending whether the 6mm camry is actually 5.87 stem not sure yet.

1.6mm can hopefully manage with, but if not hopefully enough meat about the collet to cut that down to 93.3mm

Phil

• 4 months later...

As above am about to get head work done at the min I was considering bigger valves but wasn't sure am going with the following spec

extended port polish 2mm

upgraded valve stem seals

upgraded springs

3angle valve seats

the port polish will open the throats to 2mm mimic of 1.5mm oversized valves

maybe this info will help someone