★ Project 赤い脈動 EP 九一 ★ 14/06/12 - Interior and Exterior Update! ★

Its still too early to make any judgements guys, have only been at 4k revs!!!

I don't have the itbs on yet which would be such a bad idea on a fresh engine.

It needs running in first. As for the lsd it has been fine so far but I will watch myself.

Will keep you all updated.

Joz

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers chaps :thumbsup:

I have been bolting things on for way too long so the emanage base tune is going to really sort her out.

I have decided to stick with the TRD quickshift but utilise the TC gear cable bushings.

She should be going into the bodyshop just before easter.

Joz

Immense mate, I love my clutch and diff feels so much racey'er to drive :)

Glad everything is going well, and I find it impossible for the backend to come out aswell, gives so much more confidence

More pics :)

Cheers Lew :)

I have to agree mate, feels like you are in the time attack everytime you go for a drive.

Some of the accessories have less power too, the heater is not as powerful as before but still works.

The revs rise and drop a bit faster for me due to lightened flywheel and underdrive crank pulley so she stalls easy lol.

Something Im gonna have to get used to in traffic... Off to get the oil changed later on.

Soooo looking forward to the emanage base tune mate.

Will get pics up when she is back from the bodyshop ;)

Viewing as intended :)B)

500 Mile Oil Change Schedule

Started at 45,230

45,310 - Sorted

45,450 - Miles met, changing oil and filter tommorow.

45,730 -

Emanage time

EP will be going to the bodyshop after easter.

Joz

Project Red EP91 5EFHE Tuning Stage Update

Yes you read right from Rebuild Stage > Tuning Stage :p

I took the Red EP to m16chris on tuesday to get a base tune and to make sure the emanage is working properly.

It powered up fine but due to being a slight older model it had issues with holding the afr at idle when set by the emanage.

The older models are also less compatible with new software features hence the additional adaptors and harnesses.

We did a range of tests and sorted a very small wiring issue (bad contact).

Launch control works fine.

It was obvious that the emanage would need an addition injector adaptor so I will be ordering that soon.

I must also check the jumper settings as that may also be the problem (it was originally tuned for a supra!) as the add/trim fuel function may be jump setting related.

So it was back on with the 4efe ecu and we took it for a blast down the road with the wideband attached.

It was running lean from midrange to top so obviously the 4efe ecu retarding the fuel.

I want to get this running right with the emu before moving onto the itbs.

Soon as we get this emanage sorted we'll be taking it up for RR and also some fine tuning at the same time.

The EP should be running far better than it is and has great potential.

Will keep you all updated.

Thanks for reading

Joz

Awesome work man, you're gonna beat me to the rollers at this rate

Thanks Si.

At the end of the day bro, its not a race or competition.

I just want to get everything sorted so this EP can run at its full potential.

Hope you get sorted soon too.

Joz

Id love to appreciate this to the fullest but i have no idea what a 5efhe is? is it a 5efe? whats the h? :)

apart from me not know whatas going on you seem to be doing everything spot on, effort mate. Hope you get it finished succesfully.

Mitch

The 5efhe is basically a better 5efe, with different internals, and came with better inlet and exhaust manifolds too.

Was found in the Cynos (JDM version of the Paseo), and produced something like 114bhp as standard compared to the UK market 5efe which made 89bhp

@Jaystar - Won't be too long until my visit dude, had no idea you were so near Kirky, would be rude not to visit.

@Mitch - Thanks for your comments mate.

What I've done is used the top half of a JDM 5EFHE from a Toyota Sera which includes the head which has been port and polished and valve cut, this head includes the beneficial 5EFHE higher lift cams and from the bottom half of the 5EHFE I've taken and used its slightly higher compression pistons and stronger rods.

I've used my original 5EFE bottom end which was mint upon disassembly. I've also used stronger valve springs to reduce valve float at higher revs.

The 5EFHE from the Sera originally made 110bhp and thats using a 5EFHE ecu and higher octane jap fuel. It revs to 7200rpm as standard and makes maximum power @6400rpm which is beyond what the 4EFE ecu is set for @6200rpm.

The engine will be tuned by emanage ultimate next week so that everything I have done will work to its potential as from the test mapping, everything is running lean on the 4EFE ecu up top which is safe but far from ideal as quite a bit of potential power is lost. By late next week I should be running proper air/fuel ratios and also have a higher rev limit of 7500rpm and launch control.

Im still taking it to be RR'd and also fine tune it whilst Im there, as recommended by my tuner. After that, once she is running properly, I can work on the itbs. At the moment Im using a hotshot 4-1 exhaust mani and the corolla tubular inlet mani. You'd be suprised how much your engine will benefit from a proper tune especially when bolting on mods throughout the years like myself.

For the engine to rev more easily I'm using an aftermarket lightened flywheel and underdrive crank pulley. To put more power to the wheels Im also using TRD engine mounts and a section engine damper as well as a QUAIFE lsd. For response Im using a stage 2 exedy racing clutch. As you may have seen the suspension is totally sorted bar it being very hard and stiff. I may choose something with more adjustability a little later.

All in all, this is my quest to have my n/a ready for some gruelling track days so that she has a purpose and to give me more enjoyment. On the public road this cannot be achieved.

I will keep you all updated and hopefully she will be in the bodyshop for her makeover after the tuning.

Thanks for reading.

Joz:mellow:

• 2 weeks later...

Project Red EP91 5EFHE Body Stage Update

My tuner is busy with personal things at the moment so Im taking this chance to get the bodywork done :)

She may be back by the end of week and should look like a different car.

Can't wait tbh and can then finally enter the montly calendar competition lol.

Until then still waiting for the tuning which Im really itching to get sorted.

The car drives great but should be much better.

Joz