A bit curious about the power to weight ratio

I've been reading up quite a bit to prepare before I make my purchase of a Glanza. (few months off yet) I've read the power to weight ratio are really good on these cars. So instantly I think right first mod might be suspension and brakes before I touch the engine, but what I really want to know is because the power to weight ratio is meant to be really good, at stage 1 can a glanza give an Astra VXR or a Corsa VXR a decent run? I think they are 240 stock. I've been reading on non-starlet/glanza related forums and people are baffled when they have been passed by a V or GT or had one stick to their bumper like glue. Quite a few people have said they don't handle extremely well as other cars like a civic when it comes to corners. Then again it could be the driver etc etc.

Edited by TheAmerican

ps all the 'staged' tuning levels crap is a complete nonsense.

first step to understanding tuning is to rid yourself of such terms.

:)

decent suspension setup and you should be flying.

then power to weight is whatever you want to make it.

care weighs roughly 860kg and with minor mods you can run 180hp easy enough.

with the same amount of mods but a bigger turbo you can run 240hp

get reading and you should be able to do 240 on a budget as cheaply as 180 :)

Phil

Edited by Phil

Glad someone said it lol!

In answer to the whole astra/corsa thing, GT i had pulled on a Arctic edition VXR running .6 bar on a hybrid. probs was about 160bhp.

Edited by RobSR

:)

decent suspension setup and you should be flying.

then power to weight is whatever you want to make it.

care weighs roughly 860kg and with minor mods you can run 180hp easy enough.

with the same amount of mods but a bigger turbo you can run 240hp

get reading and you should be able to do 240 on a budget as cheaply as 180 :)

Phil

Alright good to know then :thumbsup:

Alright good to know then :thumbsup:

no prob, good luck and dont be afraid to post up when you start looking at EP82/91s

plenty of knowledge and past owners here and Toyotagtturbo who may be able to shed some light on your potential purchases :)

Phil

Agree with everything Phil has said above.

Another benefit of them is that they are relatively easy to reduce the weight of also, thereby increasing the power to weight ratio without having to spend any monies on the power aspect. My own is stripped out from the driver's seat backwards, excluding handling accessories of course lol.

Lots of fun to be had with them, even at modest power set-ups, hence why I am happy with a Blitz K1-powered set-up, plenty of power and super response to have lots of smiles!

Phil.

Thought i'd post here rather then making another topic trying not to go post crazy here haha.

I've been offered 200 quid and a TD04 for my wheels off mx5.

The ep91 i'm looking at is bone stock not a single little mod to it only about 63,000 miles on it. If I was to get this TD04 on with a new manifold of course and full exhaust if need be, would I be able to run it safely if i upped the boost a little before it gets mapped?

Or is it best to just leave boost alone throw on all the mods i'm planning then map it?

front mount

full exhaust

TD04

Fuel pump

Those would prob me my first set of mods (power oriented) then a map if there is anything worth adding please feel free to help a brotha out :thumbsup:

I've also read that the fuel pump should be replaced and a 255lph Walbro fuel pump seems to be popular. If thats a necessity i'll get that done first of course.

Edited by TheAmerican

Agree with everything Phil has said above.

Another benefit of them is that they are relatively easy to reduce the weight of also, thereby increasing the power to weight ratio without having to spend any monies on the power aspect. My own is stripped out from the driver's seat backwards, excluding handling accessories of course lol.

Lots of fun to be had with them, even at modest power set-ups, hence why I am happy with a Blitz K1-powered set-up, plenty of power and super response to have lots of smiles!

Phil.

X2 k1 galore :)