URGENT HELP NEEDED!!

So I picked up a Glanza yesterday from Paignton in Cornwall. Its running a 5efe engine with the standard CT9 turbo (running 0.3bar on Max boost as it needs a map)

All was well when we started the long drive home, then suddenly the engine started to smell really hot. The overheating warning light came on and the engine refused to keep revving. After letting her cool down I tried turning her over, at which point the engine started sounding more like a tractor than a turbo Toyota...

We trailered it home thanks to the RAC (and Rivermead Recovery who are absolute life savers!!!) And now it'll turn over okay. It just sounds extremely rough when its revved and really doesn't sound healthy.

Anybody on here had a similar problem who could shed some light? I'm new to the whole JDM/Turbo engine scene so could use a hand lol. Mechanic reckons it could be the Big End or something similar??

Any help would be appreciated, I'll try and get some sort of video of it running rough if it'd help diagnosis.

I'm super gutted, as the car itself will be great once fixed up, and I refuse to sell it lol.

Thanks in advance!

You picked up a starlet yesterday and this happens? Why does this keep happening to people go and buy a starlet next thing you know the engines fucked, and that doesn't sound right at all mate I feel for you

Do you know if the person that sold the car to you is a trader, On the side, or was he a genuine private seller? Had they had the car very long, is there anything that you might thing they new the engine was on its way out, you say he has got another engine?, if you don't get anything back from them you should seek professional advice, only problem is if private sell it is hard to get anything back but not impossible all the time.

When you buy a used car from a private seller, you don't have the same rights as you do when buying from a dealer. You have no legal right to expect that the car is of satisfactory quality or fit for its purpose, but there is a requirement that it should be 'as described'.

Edited by mart1

big end bearings im affraid these can be repaired as long as it hasn't "thrown a leg outta the bed" as we say basically burst a hole in the block you will no because it will have a gapping hole either at the front or back depending on how hard it was revving when it started knocking as long as its not revved anymore it might be able to be saved long shot i know.

the crank will need to be dropped out and so will the shell bearings both big end and small end will need new big end bearings and small and the crank checked for any scores or spun bearings and checked to see if its running true and hasnt got a wobble and lost balance. seen new shell bearings fitted after this happening and went 2 weeks later due to crank having a minnute imbalance lot of work to save the engine that your desicion if its worth it or not.

as for running 0.3 bar boost thats nothing i had a glanza v with a naffed actuator and it still pulled 0.5 has it got a hks adjustable actuator fitted

i'd say it was set alot higher probably 0.6 - 0.7 and was drove hard and previous owner heard the knock and wound the boost down so it wouldnt boost as hard and knock

if you wanted to chance it you could get a 4efe engine the non turbo version came in a corolla/starlet/etc and fit all the turbo stuff onto that engine now you will have to check

the engine compression wise and if its healthy serviced regulary low mileage not dogged or drove the crap outta ive seen these engines run 0.6 bar boost with no issues on stock gear manifold/ct9 turbo/and top mount intercooler.

some have even pushed them to 1.0 bar boost on a td04 turbo with the supporting mods to help them breath and flow better and cause less pressure on the engine

How much price wise would it be (roughly) to boost the non turbo 4efe?

What parts were uprated/different on the 4efe and the 4efte?

you have everything you need apart from a good healthy 4efe engine to put all your parts on

its basically swapping everything off the 4efte onto the 4efe

so you need to buy a good 4efe lump pull the engine out of the car stick it beside the 4efe and start swapping stuff over

small list rough parts to swap over

inlet manifold complete

fuel rail

rocker cover for breathing purposes

fit knock sensor at back of block

flywheel so 4efe will allow the turbo clutch to be fitted N/a clucth wont last

thermostat housing so water lines for turbo are there

sump for turbo oil feed return

oil filter relocation piece

exhaust manifold

few other bit i know ive forgot but ya get the general idea..

As for parts difference as colin said its mostly internal low compression pistons slightly bigger rods and slightly different head gasket to allow for different compression ratios

May have found a 4efte bare block, which would answer my prayers immediately lol.

If not, I'll look into the 4efe turbo conversion.

Anybody know any good remap places down in the south-east? Also how much power you can run through the stock 4efte without too much strain on the internals?