competition clutch problem

Right so I brought a competition 6puk clutch and flywheel not so long back. Only got round to fitting it last week and all was fine for the first few days. Pedal was great and it drove A dream.

However I did a long journey the weekend and I notice the biting point was right at the top. Also it was hard to select gears every now and then which I found strange as it wasn't all the time.. Aswell as finding it hard to select gears sometimes it won't come out of gear but it doesn't fully disengage the clutch so I can't actually stop which worried me a little. The clutch was brand new withh new release bearing.

Anyone had any problems with competition clutches before? Any ideas? Feels like there's an issue with the pressure plate maybe?

i had the same problem bought a competition clutch 6puk and after maybe 2 weeks it started giving me problems could not get the car out of gear and sometimes when i was at a traffic lights and put first gear the car would start moving by it self even with my foot fully on the clutch. i had to change the clutch and now its good just have to drive slower because the stock cant handle extra horse power very well. hope it helps

There was a problem with them a little while back where the pressure plate ( I think ) would touch the inside of the bell housing.

Probably more info over on TGTT about it, but I'm sure Browner had a similar problem so might be worth firing him a pm dude.

CC have a very good customer service system it's a pain that its failed in the first place but I've no doubt they will give you a replacement a mate of mine had a problem with his and its was sorted out asap no messing about he was very impressed

There was a problem with them a little while back where the pressure plate ( I think ) would touch the inside of the bell housing.

Probably more info over on TGTT about it, but I'm sure Browner had a similar problem so might be worth firing him a pm dude.

I have this problem with my spec clutch :(

I've been having this exact problem with my spec 6 puk, i bled the clutch system wich temp fixed it, i then unbolted the slave an tilted it up so the nippple was at the very top, a lot of air trapped in the system, then ran fresh fluid thru, fixed it for a couple days, so it may not be a problem with the clutch, but the slave cant take the added pressure, I've got a slave on order from td, ill let ya know in a couple days if it sorts it , easier than getting gearbox an clutch out again, also it drove lovely when i had bled the system

I've been having this problem recently with my spec 6 puk. It's strange because some days it will be fine and the next it will be awful. I'm thinking it could be the release bearing because somtome a I can feel it engage without even lifting the clutch and the car starts to roll like the clutch is engaged. I had TD bleed my clutch and that helped for about 2-3days. Now it's gradually got worse.

I'm going to bleed clutch once more to see if that sorts it and if not I'll set at getting the release bearing replaced. I'll try source an LSD for when I do take the box out.

I can't see it being an hydraulic Problem, I've bled the clutch when I fitted i. The slave doesn't leak or isn't damp etc and had full movement when watching it whilst a friend opoperated the clutch. I've done just shy of 400 miles on the clutch now so I'm past the run in period recommended so I'd of thought I'd of had an issue before now if it was the slave, my guess is somethings about to fail on the clutch itself :/

I've spoke to the guys at id-workz today and they seem keen to help me resolve the issue, awaiting a phonecall tomorrow to see what they are going to do about it.Hopefully it's just a straight forward job of replacing the clutch and release bearing and job done.

Thanks for the input guys, kinda glad it's not just myself who's had issues!

Edited by chad94
  • 1 month later...

I had been having same sort of issues as you mate and I've fitted mt old flywheel and that seems to have sorted the clutch holding on issue. When I compared flywheels the new one was slightly thicker. Might be worth a try?

Mine can't be the flywheel because I'm still on the standard one and still have this problem. Mitchell replaced his slave cylinder and it seems to have made his a lot better so I'll give that a try :) thanks Kevmcc90!