1st to 2nd gear major crunch

Hi guys,

I recently bought a gearbox from a trustworthy guy who promised me the gearbox was silky smooth.

Had the car out for its first run last week and first gear change from 1st to 2nd CRUNCH!

So Ive checked the oil and its topped up to the fill level. All other gears select fine but 1st to 2nd and down from 3rd to second crunches like a beauty.

Is there anything else external on the box I can check as this gearbox was sold to me as perfect working order.

Is there anyway to check the selectors are in the right position for each gear selected??

Thanks guys,

Dan

Not going to name and shame as he said he would sort it but wanted me to try every other possible solution but ive checked everything.

There is about 4mm play in the selector arm so may rotate the piece between 90 degree like you say. But I do honestly trust the guy so much so I'm still trying to sort it without stripping the box but oh well.

Hope I get something back as it cost me over £500 all in eeeek

Easily Syncro's mate, as 5e Colin stated, it's a common fault with starlets between 2&3rd Syncro's. My gearbox basically shat itself after a bolt fell out of the bottom mount and it pulled a chunk of the box with it... Luckily though, I managed to source a box out of a toyota corolla that had done 7000 miles and dropped that in, ratios are a tad closer too!

My old gearbox locked up inside itself locked the driveshafts so the car wouldn't move at all it would even start but couldn't move it glad that days over 4 hours stranded. I see more and more people after box's it's worrying lol

• 2 weeks later...

the sugar cube thing wont remove the crunch its a common problem with these c-series boxes.. although synchros dont go overnight they will have been crunching a while.. the fella has known all too well so name and shame. does no harm to keep others right