change rear axle bushes to polybush

Hi mates. ..is it possible to change the rear axle bushes without removing the axle off the chassis?

Removing panhard rod and bolts will give enough clearance to work on it?

it could be possible but its getting the old 1's out thats the probplem, even with my axle off i struggled abit to get the outer casing of the old bush out. is not a big job, easyr with axle out tho

Not supposed to leave the metal casing in on the GT rear beam for the poly bushes or did I misread that?

John

the outer casing of the old bush needs to be hacked out, so burn the bush out, then hack-saw the remaining outer shell, and chisel out. the original bushes are made inside this ring then pressed in.

• 3 months later...

Just to finish this then.

With the ep82 55mm bush.

I chain drilled the rubber bush out. Then you need to remove the outer shell that the mount was attached too.

I just did the old hack saw it down the middle and chisled it out with a screw driver. New bushes just fit straight into that

Easy enough to do. Just a tad time consuming.

set fire to the bush and it drops out (blow torch, or metal container containing oil, diesel, petrol, thinners, anything that burns for ages, always works for me), then there should be a 2mm (if that) thick ring left in the hole, hacksaw through it, chap it out with hammer and chisel, insert new polybush, job jobbed. i used powerflex bushes in mine.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Powerflex-Poly-Toyota-Starlet-Glanza-Turbo-EP82-EP91-Rear-Beam-Mount-Bush-/380663925776?hash=item58a1568c10