Anyone here have managed to make some Good detcans. U tried 3 methods and none if them is working. Tried flattening a copper pipe and attach everything to earmuffs.. didnt work..

tried an elctronic one using Listen Up device but the alternator frequency is the only tbing i can hear.

Tried even using stetoscope but the sound is very low and i can barely hear anything while reving.

I saw one live.. from a tuner using a stetoscope and i duplicate it but still no luck :(

If you wanted to try again with an electronic version you can use a bosch donut style knock sensor from a SR16/18/20 Nissan, a long shielded fly lead (shielding is important), a small 5-15w 12v amp (ebay/aliexpress) and a set of headphones. Works well.

Both of those amps are far too powerfull - you will find that even with them dialed right down you'll deafen yourself, that's the issue I have with mine and its only 15w.

Both of those amps are far too powerfull - you will find that even with them dialed right down you'll deafen yourself, that's the issue I have with mine and its only 15w.

ah right.

link me a suitable amp :)

Phil

Anyone here have managed to make some Good detcans. U tried 3 methods and none if them is working. Tried flattening a copper pipe and attach everything to earmuffs.. didnt work..

tried an elctronic one using Listen Up device but the alternator frequency is the only tbing i can hear.

Tried even using stetoscope but the sound is very low and i can barely hear anything while reving.

I saw one live.. from a tuner using a stetoscope and i duplicate it but still no luck :(

hey boss...i made an electronic DIY detcan using listen up....will try to write it up for you later on...made a few mods....it works perfectly

i'd post some pics, BUT not sure if its only for paid members as i'm not one

http://www.ukstarletowners.com/topic/89360-det-cans/

take a look at that link...it has the two sites i used to make my diy electronic detcans

before i put the mic in the stud ring, i made sure to put a little epoxy around the outer/side casing of the mic ----NOT in front the mic itself.....i THEN made sure to push the mic completely down to the bottom of the stud ring---again, you dont want any epoxy or other material in front of the mic face as this is where the sound is picked up......i THEN packed behind the mic/wire with epoxy right up to the top of the stud ring

the stud ring was a pretty snug fit for the mic....i'll try to get the size when i get home

got it from the hardware store pretty cheap

i used 16 or 18 gauge speaker wire to run from the listen up unit to the mic----its pretty heavily insulated

Edited by gorganl2000

hey boss...i made an electronic DIY detcan using listen up....will try to write it up for you later on...made a few mods....it works perfectly

i'd post some pics, BUT not sure if its only for paid members as i'm not one

http://www.ukstarletowners.com/topic/89360-det-cans/

take a look at that link...it has the two sites i used to make my diy electronic detcans

before i put the mic in the stud ring, i made sure to put a little epoxy around the outer/side casing of the mic ----NOT in front the mic itself.....i THEN made sure to push the mic completely down to the bottom of the stud ring---again, you dont want any epoxy or other material in front of the mic face as this is where the sound is picked up......i THEN packed behind the mic/wire with epoxy right up to the top of the stud ring

the stud ring was a pretty snug fit for the mic....i'll try to get the size when i get home

got it from the hardware store pretty cheap

i used 16 or 18 gauge speaker wire to run from the listen up unit to the mic----its pretty heavily insulated

I see. The listen up device is good but its picking too much interferance. Maybe i will try it with different wires as i used some normal speaker wires.

copper pipe how was it connected?