Cost to swap gearbox???

My gearbox shit itself last night, I've got another box but don't have the confidence to change it myself. What cost am I looking at roughly to get a garage to do it for me? Guessing a new clutch would be z good idea while they're at it.

They'll try get you for 3 or 4 hours labour.

Even though it can be done in less than half that easy.

Be aswell changing the gear oil if its gonna be getting drained anyway.

Or split the shafts and leave the green inner CV cups in, wont have to drain the oil either, this will avoid fucking the driveshaft seals aswell.

Trouble is I climb trees for a living and it's only in the last year I've even started servicing my own vehicles! I'm not a complete retard and I would love to learn as much as possible about these little cars as this is my third and won't be the last, but, I need it sorting quick sticks. Only had the car a month!

It sounds like a bigger job than it is. It's somewhere in the region of 30 bolts that need to come out. The worst bit is getting the box back on because the splines that go into the fly can be a right cunt to line up. If you can use a socket you can do it, for sure.

Its easy to say its easy when you know how to do it. I'm a mechanic and when I was a 1st year apprentice I'd of been afraid of it. So many things can cause you problems. Especially if you don't have the right tools.

Your going to have to split either the ball joints or crack the hub nut which for someone who isn't competant is a pretty big deal. Then as mentioned you need to line up the clutch plate before you tighten the pressure plate which again isnt easy for a beginner when your rolling about the floor.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it by any means I'm all for folk doing it themselves its just people on here who are capable are quick to say something is easy when the reality is for some people its not. The best thing I'd say is get someone who is capable to come and give you a hand so that you know your not going to get stuck. That way you learn about it as well.

It is an easy task you don't even need to take the shafts out of the hubs.

Firstly disconnect the battery and all of the sensors gear linkage and speedo cable

Drain the box. Then get under it n undo the 10mm's and 12mm's holding the guard on to the gear box then go back up unclip the stator motor and remove the 12mm nut from the back and detach the cable. Wined the nut back on the starter for safe keeping

Then it's help on with 2x14mm bolts remove theses but keep you hand on the stater before you take the last one fully out you don't want it hitting the deck. The eye up the bell housing bolts there should be 3x17mm from the front round to the top of the box. Crack theses off don't remove fully. Then get under the car there should be a 14mm going through the block into the box I between you bulk head and block about 8inchs up from the rear mount crack that off to. Then undo the 3x14mm bolts holding the bottom ball joint to the lower arm. This will give you plenty of movement on the hub when removing the shafts from the box. Do this on both sides. And get a pry bar between the box and shaft avoiding the seal and metal guards that stop dirt getting to the seal. A gentle wiggle with the bar and a friend gently pulling in and out on the hub will she the shaft pop right out this works both sides. The remove the rear engine mount 1x14mm then completely remove the 14mm from the back of the block to the gear box then slide a jack under the box so the box didn't hit the floor n sit it on the box just enough to take the weight. Remove the from passenger side gearbox mount 1x17mm the remove the remaining bolts from the bel housing. Then if you get a friend to help steady the box from above just so it doesn't land on your face give it a wiggle and walk the box off.

I can do this in 1.5hr if all goes as it should. I.e no ones been there before and rounded things off. You shouldn't have a problem it sounds harder than it actually is trust me. I'm from Suffolk way and I'm free Friday/Saturday if your near by pop round n we can get it done I'll be doing car bits all day anyway.

Best of luck

Liam

Yeh there more to it than just unbolting the box!

When I was changing mine I brought it to a mate who's a mechanic and I gave him a hand. Took us over 3 hours.

If it wasn't my daily I'd have tried it myself as it wouldn't matter if I didn't get it sorted for a while

But I wouldn't recommend Doing it yourself if you've not much experience unless as StuDoc says you have someone helping you who knows what they're at

It is an easy task you don't even need to take the shafts out of the hubs.

Firstly disconnect the battery and all of the sensors gear linkage and speedo cable

Drain the box. Then get under it n undo the 10mm's and 12mm's holding the guard on to the gear box then go back up unclip the stator motor and remove the 12mm nut from the back and detach the cable. Wined the nut back on the starter for safe keeping

Then it's help on with 2x14mm bolts remove theses but keep you hand on the stater before you take the last one fully out you don't want it hitting the deck. The eye up the bell housing bolts there should be 3x17mm from the front round to the top of the box. Crack theses off don't remove fully. Then get under the car there should be a 14mm going through the block into the box I between you bulk head and block about 8inchs up from the rear mount crack that off to. Then undo the 3x14mm bolts holding the bottom ball joint to the lower arm. This will give you plenty of movement on the hub when removing the shafts from the box. Do this on both sides. And get a pry bar between the box and shaft avoiding the seal and metal guards that stop dirt getting to the seal. A gentle wiggle with the bar and a friend gently pulling in and out on the hub will she the shaft pop right out this works both sides. The remove the rear engine mount 1x14mm then completely remove the 14mm from the back of the block to the gear box then slide a jack under the box so the box didn't hit the floor n sit it on the box just enough to take the weight. Remove the from passenger side gearbox mount 1x17mm the remove the remaining bolts from the bel housing. Then if you get a friend to help steady the box from above just so it doesn't land on your face give it a wiggle and walk the box off.

I can do this in 1.5hr if all goes as it should. I.e no ones been there before and rounded things off. You shouldn't have a problem it sounds harder than it actually is trust me. I'm from Suffolk way and I'm free Friday/Saturday if your near by pop round n we can get it done I'll be doing car bits all day anyway.

Best of luck

Liam

My point exactly

Yeh there more to it than just unbolting the box!

When I was changing mine I brought it to a mate who's a mechanic and I gave him a hand. Took us over 3 hours.

If it wasn't my daily I'd have tried it myself as it wouldn't matter if I didn't get it sorted for a while

But I wouldn't recommend Doing it yourself if you've not much experience unless as StuDoc says you have someone helping you who knows what they're at

Speaking sense.

My basis for saying it's not as hard as it sounds is that it was the first thing I did on any car. Im not trying to push in the other way, I'm in favour of people going to garages if they want to. I'd have done the same thing when my clutch went if I had the money.

If I could do it on my drive with no help and no mechanical experience at all, I'm utterly certain anyone could do it. I'm not saying it's not terrifying performing a surgery for the first time either, just don't let it put you off if you understand what the job entails. I'm sure one of the reasons Starlets are so popular is that they're easy to work on and well-engineered enough that they forgive you if you make a few small fuck ups.

I've said it before but you've got to love this forum, some sound advice here and quick too! I've got a couple of mates who would probably give me a hand so this is all food for thought, also found a how 2 on removing the box so I'll keep you posted on how it goes!

I'm going with the worst case scenario here anyway. Basically I'd been sitting in traffic yesterday and after pulling up engine running went to pull away again and it felt like the handbrake was still on, crawled it into a parking space with it struggling and starting to stink. Tried for reverse and nothing, tried again and got it, into first and struggled forward again but now reverse will click in but the car tries moving forward? Might be my imagination but the gear stick feels slacker?Ep82gi that's a really cool offer but I'm stuck on the Isle of Wight lol

Big relief as I was convinced it was the box but I do always think the worsed!

Toyota want £200 odd quid for the pair so need to find one off a breaker!

The cables are the same for EP91 and EP82 etc. I used a set of SR cables in my old GT.