no handbrake !!! after new discs/ pads ( PIC inside )

hey lads i recently passed nct/mot al was fine i just did some maintenance on my car and fitted pads al round

now on the rears i wounded back the pistons clockwise and loosened my cable al the way on my Hbrake lever in the gt fitted the pads pumped the brake pedal tightened the hbrake cable . its hard to pul up now and does not work attal i tested it while driving it does not slow down the car ???????????????????

before i fitted the pads i pulled back the leavers on the calipers

whats wrong ere ??

Edited by 5e colin

You need to wind the pistons out until the disc turns by hand but is slightly stiff.

U have wound the pistons right back and then tightened your cable so essentially your handbrake is on constantly but not doing anything. Hence the tight handbrake.

bugger so i went to far back on the piston pfff rookie mistake ha ha will keep you informed how i get on later

Yes mate thats all it is lol.

Loosen off the cable at your lever, whip off the caliper and adjust out the piston until theres a bit of resistance when turning the disc, bolt it back up and adjust up your cable.

Just make sure you dont adjust up the cable too much or the handbrake will be on even when the lever is down.

Its possibly just bedded in the pads slightly also when u put brakes together u cant get them to sit as flush as they would when compressed by a piston you could try jacking it up and either winding the caliper out again or tightening the cable aslong as the wheels still rotate when handbrake is off.

That said you shouldnt have filed that off lol might happen repeatedly.

small update swapped the pads around so now the niple is in the groove i unwinded them to where they just could not go on the pads then pushed them strait back a mm with a plate with a bolt tru pushing another plate that was lying on the piston so piston cant rotate backwards loose i hope

but i think i will have to redo this procedure when the pads are bedded in again ??

Basically you wind the calipers right back.

Then you wind them out until you can get the brakes back together but as tight rotation as possible without them being seized.

Do this both sides and while the car is still jacked up tighten the hand brake cable until you get desired clicks. While turning the wheels by hand to make sure they dont seize.

did that there again im getting soft parking brake pfff handbrake is pulled right up and lever arms on both calipers are both to the far front of the car

brake pedal is solid i cant move the wheels attal then

are my calipers fucked ????

Edited by 5e colin
  • 2 weeks later...

Question as I'm doing the same dude, was there much adjustment on your handbrake cable at the handbrake. My one had about 4 threads before it stripped itself. Waiting on a new one.

Did you function the handbrake lever when you rebuilt your calipers to see if the piston pumped out?

John

calipers work ok when i pull the lever on the caliper the piston comes out

my front cable the thread is half snapped of so i have to use a m10 nut under my m6 to get a tat more pull on the cable

question when the handbrake is down do the lever go back fully on the calipers or do they stay ingaged a bit ?????

Edited by 5e colin

bummer i just fitted a new front cable that attaches to the t piece its a bit better but i can still turn it by hand altho its a tat stronger ????

still the same problem

you know between the pads and caliper there is some thin shims that lay on the pads i dont have them shims on the passo side where my problem is would it be ??