How to measure shells?

As title how do I measure my bottom end bearings (shells) to find out if they are standard size or oversized?

Found this today after discovering a small rattle

image_2.jpg

Think I've cought it in time as there is no damage to the Conrod or crankshaft

I need to find out what size bearings to order up

Any help appreciated

Neil

they are number 2 oem bearings

however, you will need to properly measure your crank etc. as outlined before, to ensure its within specs and no damaged

you need a good brand mircometer....no cheap crap

the 4efte oem specs are listed in the manual i think on here and ttgt

if you don't know what you are doing or unfamiliar with the process, i'd suggest taking it or invite someone over who is. Reason being, if you do this wrong, your new bearings will not last very long and you will be back at square one again

based on the scarring on some of the bearings, i'm surprised your crank is not damaged----please check it properly

I'm thinking same as you gorgan I would be very very surprised if the crank didn't need a regrind, I did an engine rebuild, and thanks to a good mechanic and a very trusted person on here I got through it, but it was a lot of ball ache and stress at the time, I would personally, get the crank out (I know it's much more work) and get it to a engineers place it needs to be checked, and measured etc etc, other then that try find a good crank which is fine (think socks had one for sale) but you just can't put new big and main bearings in a think it's gonna be ok, it is a pain in the ass I know I been though it, and it's a right ass fucker but it's the only way your gonna get your car back running good again

Edited by patman