ECU's for the EP91 n/a

i currently own a 96reg ep91 4e-fe

i am currently on a look out to see if i can get the car running better and more power

will a glanza S ecu work on my car? and will i see any gains? as i understand the glanza S has more power output?

also will certain corolla ECU's work on my car? ive been hearing corolla 4a-fe and 7a-fe ecu's will work from a certain car reg corolla's?

has anyone tried these???

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its a falicy that the glanza s ecus produce any more power

they produce the same 83ps as any other jdm 4efe starlet that extra bhp could be attributed to the higher octain fuelling in japan

im sure i have a jdm ep9* 4efe ecu somewhere

Your looking up the wrong avenue, also imo the standard injectors are fine for atleast 100bhp ....has anyone actually tried a wideband on there n/a? (a proper weld in one not a shove up the exhaust pipe one) Tried a safc? Got the standard injectors cleaned?

From what i can see after the induction mods no one has altered fueling....this is where i believe the rest of the power lies Get fueling spot on at the correct afrs and see where your at

Everyones running around like headless chickens :)

Agree standred injectors should be fine for alteast 100bhp along with a fpr the stock N/A ecu should adjust its self to what ever mods you have but as said it would be best to get the fueling checked to be on the safe side.

The only think im not sure about is whats the rev limit on the glanza S ecu? if its higher then that could be a thing to look into because i've noticed when i fitted glanza TB and inlet the power is all at the top of the rev range (still pulls like fook all the way to 6200rpm so if the glanza S ecu revs to say 7250rpm (like the glanza V) it clould give more power at the top end?

Agree standred injectors should be fine for alteast 100bhp along with a fpr the stock N/A ecu should adjust its self to what ever mods you have but as said it would be best to get the fueling checked to be on the safe side.

The only think im not sure about is whats the rev limit on the glanza S ecu? if its higher then that could be a thing to look into because i've noticed when i fitted glanza TB and inlet the power is all at the top of the rev range (still pulls like fook all the way to 6200rpm so if the glanza S ecu revs to say 7250rpm (like the glanza V) it clould give more power at the top end?

pretty sure that the glanza s has same engine as the uk spec 4efe but with a corrola mani and different ecu for the higher octain fuel.

the rare JDM spec 4efe that came std with 100ps (glanza s ~80ps?) shared the same head as the 4efte which has stronger valves and springs to accomidate the higher 7200 rev limit. this has a different ecu to other 4efe n/a variants.

not sure about the cams though?

With the higher rev limit the powerband will shift the glanza tb + inlet will give top end having sacrificed bottom end

the best combo is the 45mm throttle body and glanza inlet this gives you best of both worlds...

Fpr + wideband + safc should see most people safely gain atleast 5-10bhp with the ability to save fuel too depending how its driven

yeah the glanza s ecu rev limit is 7200 and uk spec is 6200

Hmm that is somthing to look into the only thing that concerns me abit is the higher you rev you start to get valve float!!! i understand that the glanza has stronger valve springs then the N/A so will alow the car to rev alot higer without getting valve float....I could be just jumping the bang wagan abit but theres no point in trying to get an engine reving higher if you arnt going to benefit from it!....Tink i've got some reading to do lol

pretty sure that the glanza s has same engine as the uk spec 4efe but with a corrola mani and different ecu for the higher octain fuel.

the rare JDM spec 4efe that came std with 100ps (glanza s ~80ps?) shared the same head as the 4efte which has stronger valves and springs to accomidate the higher 7200 rev limit. this has a different ecu to other 4efe n/a variants.

not sure about the cams though?

Haha we must of been thinking the same thing at the same time lol

Hmm that is somthing to look into the only thing that concerns me abit is the higher you rev you start to get valve float!!! i understand that the glanza has stronger valve springs then the N/A so will alow the car to rev alot higer without getting valve float....I could be just jumping the bang wagan abit but theres no point in trying to get an engine reving higher if you arnt going to benefit from it!....Tink i've got some reading to do lol

Yes, if you put a glanza v head on the 4efe it can rev higher, but without an ecu its pointless. you need an ecu that will accomidate the extra 1k revs.

as far as i know the only toyota 4efe ecu that maps to 7200 is the rare jdm 4efe ecu that geo has said he may have a spare.

but you wouldnt be able to utilise this inless you have the v head ect.

worth noteing that the jdm 4efe had thicker rods. might be that the uk 4e are too week for 100ps????

Haha we must of been thinking the same thing at the same time lol

haha :)

the uk spec n/a has the same rods as a glanza so they are capable of well over 100bhp

ive got a ported fte head with uprated valve springs on my n/a, and without some form of management i wont get the best out of it, but it does pull alot harder upto the rev limit than before i had it put on, i also have 5efhe cams to go in next time chris comes down.

the 5efhe ecu will plug into a uk spec loom, but wether it will work is a different story. Somebody tried the corolla ecu in a glanza S and it wouldnt work, so not sure the glanza s ecu and corolla ecu are compatible with the uk spec n/a.

the uk spec n/a has the same rods as a glanza so they are capable of well over 100bhp

ive got a ported fte head with uprated valve springs on my n/a, and without some form of management i wont get the best out of it, but it does pull alot harder upto the rev limit than before i had it put on, i also have 5efhe cams to go in next time chris comes down.

the 5efhe ecu will plug into a uk spec loom, but wether it will work is a different story. Somebody tried the corolla ecu in a glanza S and it wouldnt work, so not sure the glanza s ecu and corolla ecu are compatible with the uk spec n/a.

are you sure about the rods, i was under the understanding that it was the jdm spec 4efe that had the 4efte rods?

wasnt someone selling a aftermarket n/a ecu on hear a while back that you where going to get? cant remeber what it was now.

glanza s ecu doesnt work with uk n/a's wouldnt run, nor would a corolla one when i tried it..

Re fuelling, ive only ever seen one n/a checked that was running glanza s injectors and a corolla inlet and it was super lean lol..16.x:1-17.x:1 AFR's lol..n/a's should be around 13.0:1 on WOT..

i had a set of glanza s injectors but never fitted them, side by side with standard n/a ones, the feed holes were tiny, looked like pin pricks comapred to the standard ones, i know also that the glanza s runs a different fuel rail and reg aswell, so i came to the conclusion that it must run higher fuel pressure, or the map on the ecu is completely different..

if you were ever gonna change injectors on an n/a drop corolla 225's (they are yellow ( and i think they are 225s) or FTE ones, but thats probably gonna be over kill

ok there is a lot of misinformation in this thread il try and clear some of it up..

from what i know there were 4 evolutions of 4e na engines

89-91 end 4e-f carbed version

91end-95 gen 1 4e-fe (jdm only)<------ shares same bottom end and head(with water channel in the block + tb and inlet with 4efte but uses thicker headgasket it redlines from between 7200 and 7500 dependant on what ep82 ecu that came with it,

replace headgasket and you have a stonger 4efte version with the same thicker rods and fte pisons

then you have

95-97 gen2 4e-fe (jdm and eu)<----------different head and headcasting with thinner ports, softer valve srpings springs and. diferent again headgasket thickness along with glanza rods, smaller tb and inlet(eu) four branch inlet(jdm)v redline was at 6200 or 6500 dependant on ecu

then you have

97-99 gen3 (jdm only)<------------- same as above but with different distrubter setup + equal length four branch inlet

the glanza s ecu has a revlimit of 6200 rpms like all the later jdm 4efe engines

if you guys are using the glanza inlet and tb then your powerband will be altered, its the same set up as the 100ps 4efe where peak power (bhp) is at 6500rpms aprox . there for you need to change the quartz resister in the ecu to compensate,

valve float starts on these engines at around 7400rpms so watch out,

asad is right, after adopting the different inlet and tb setup, along with manifold you need to start altering the fueling and timing to get more power out of it,

i think the best setup is using the corrolla 4branch along with the glanza tb, thats what ive got on my jdm drag sled

the four branch is amazing for flatterning out the torque curve so the engines not as peaky and so you dont have to rev the shit out of it everywhere

thats what everyone feels when they fit one, the flat torque curve that is,

tutorials-2-1267401327.png