First Bottom End Build - Q3. Main Cap Order

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Part of the engineering work I had done at the start of the year was to measure the crank and supply bearings to fit so I'm fairly confident everything should be ok. I'm not setup with the correct tools for such precise measurement, I could plastigauge I guess.

Edited by TimD

Explain why this is a disaster waiting to happen?

I have an invoice stating they have measured the crank, I have spoken with the engineer on the phone a few times and he's a friend of a friend. I doubt very much he's out to ruin my engine..

I have an invoice stating they have measured the crank, I have spoken with the engineer on the phone a few times and he's a friend of a friend. I doubt very much he's out to ruin my engine..

Also wondering this? I had mine measured by a competent engine shop and bought bearings to suit( albeit different car). Id rather someone experienced measure it then do it myself.

I really do appreciate your input Colin, and value your opinion, and will eat all the humble pie I can find if I'm wrong on this. But I paid a known engineer to measure and supply me with bearings, he's done that, to a level I've no way of matching, with tools I doubt you can buy for less than my entire bill. I'm fairly confident that he's supplied me correct bearings, we wont know for certain for a while yet, but I'll be sure to report back, good or bad.

This is a huge learning curve for me, and I'm open to failure. I could have just asked him to build the entire thing for me, but I wanted to give it a go myself.

Edited by TimD

if you have gotten it measured and got the matching bearings it should be fine. read back and i did not see any notification that it was measured :) so i can understand the confusion there.

the accident waiting to happen would (i would think) be the case of not measured, guess the bearings, toss it together and run it

Looking good so far man. Have a look on youtube as I remember some videos of a guy doing a complete rebuild on a 4efte. Helped me out alot. Bit of a language barrier in parts but it was a great guide. If I had a better phone id link you.

I know exactly where Colin's coming from here, his not saying it's gonna happen to you mate, but I took mine to a well known engineers round my way, he write the measurements all down on paper only to give me all the sizes at 40mm that was the bearings bit, he just rounded them off to the nearest thousand, couldn't believe it, it was only Colin who made me realise this was wrong, like I said you know the person etc, so that's good, it's just a precaution thing to get all the exact measurements and put them on here 👍🏻

I'm actually going to attempt to fit the crank today.

I've started by putting bearings into the caps, and my first question is whether or not there should be a small gap between the back of the bearing and the cap face? It's tiny, but there's a gap, so I want to be sure.

Thanks

this part here has my attention....gap???...there should be no gaps in the area you mentioned?..this should be a very snug fit of the bearing into the caps....did you install the bearings and caps properly?...is this gap still there?

ya they measured the crank to what spec ???? as toyota uses multiple bearing sizes in the stock spec

its like rebuilding a stock old engine with middle spec size with moterfactors bearings if you get me because i didnt read your regrounded

this part here has my attention....gap???...there should be no gaps in the area you mentioned?..this should be a very snug fit of the bearing into the caps....did you install the bearings and caps properly?...is this gap still there?

Was thinking the same, sounds worrying to me, get a picture the should fit as said above.

Here's the work I had carried out

1jzt7oEl.jpg

I'm away on holiday for a couple of weeks on Saturday so I'm going to struggle to pull a main cap and get a photo, but I will do when I return.

The crank was measured as Standard/STD

Not on mine.

They are Taiho bearings in STD size.

Let me reiterate, there is/was nothing wrong with the crank. It was taken out for a check over, not because I spun a bearing or anything else. The bearings that came out were in good condition.

I am not using Toyota bearings, I don't believe I need to be using oversized bearings. So what is the problem with what I have?

The "gap" was there before I installed the main caps in the engine, there is nothing there now.

Yeah but theres 3 std sizes for the inner crank face and upto 5 for the caps if i understand correctly So STD doesnt really clear it up.

You can have a factory car with size 0,0,2,1,2. For each journal

For instance My 4age had the stamps on the block and they were like 1.3.2.2.3 meaning that there were a variety of sized bearings used from factory.

Its better to double check and get it right than have to do it all again with extra work with a damaged crank etc :)

I know that now is the time to be making sure, I'm not rubbishing anyones suggestions.

I'm just struggling to understand why I can go out and buy ACL/TAIHO/KING bearings in standard size, but these not be OK to fit to the car.

Or, why I should be questioning a person qualified to carry out a task I've asked him to do?

I know that now is the time to be making sure, I'm not rubbishing anyones suggestions.

I'm just struggling to understand why I can go out and buy ACL/TAIHO/KING bearings in standard size, but these not be OK to fit to the car.

Or, why I should be questioning a person qualified to carry out a task I've asked him to do?

Just for peace of mind Tim please ask him what size bearings your need that's all just ask do I need 1,2 or 3 😃 because when I rang up toyota and asked for bearings awhile ago they asked me which size

I'm not using Toyota bearings, so that information isn't worth much.

I get it, Toyota will supply me with different bearings, but when I'm not using Toyota bearings, and the crank is in spec, then a STD sized aftermarket bearing will do, I'm sure.

I'll be plastigauging it when I return from my holiday, that'll give me some indication as to whether or not we are close and need to investigate further.

Edited by TimD