Dan's black SR (eventually project turbo)

Jesus. I'll start buying them and exporting in that case haha

Been labeling up the 82 loom ready, bit more to do yet though. Engine will be coming out of the SR on Sunday so will clean the bay and take off all the wiring sleeving ready to begin.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Managed to get the engine and box out today, they put sansors/connectors in the most awkward place on these things

4ABE7F22-34C0-474A-9CAA-D626B7C54326_zps

3AC820C0-7F4B-494B-B4D1-E45A637EA61F_zps

Going to spend tomorrow cleaning the bay and getting rid of any brackets I don't need. Also will mate the gearbox up to the 4efte. Have Monday and Tuesday off work so will take all the sleeves off the wiring and add the extra bits I need from the 4efte loom.

Managed to clean my bay today with some WD and rags. Also fitted ambers (had a few comment telling me to put some on) and much prefer how they look.

58088362-A369-41E4-95B4-6285F948442A_zps

Will eventually get the bump strips for the sides but I'll wait till its running again.

Edited by SRdan

haha bump strips will be going on

Yeah mate not ideal but living in North Wales you soon get used to it lol. really could do with some better weather but hey ho, cant be driving this slow arse frontera much longer :crazy:

build is looking good mate ;) not far now, any luck on the Det 3 write up?

got pics bud but they no good tbh as everything's covered in insulation tape haha

ill jot it all down over next couple of days, needs to come out tomorrow as its now sold so ill get some better pics and write down what wire goes where. theres only 6 wires to wire in so its pretty basic

got pics bud but they no good tbh as everything's covered in insulation tape haha

ill jot it all down over next couple of days, needs to come out tomorrow as its now sold so ill get some better pics and write down what wire goes where. theres only 6 wires to wire in so its pretty basic

cheers bud.

was hoping to have engine in by now but missus has been in hospital so been tied up with my boys more than usual lol.

I've mated the fte upto my gearbox and is now under the car ready to be lifted in. whilst doing this i noticed that it has a paddle clutch installed so that is a huge bonus. should have it in over the weekend then ill be plugging in my 4efe loom where it fits, taking all the sleeves off the wiring and adding what connectors don't fit and also adding the few wires like knock sensor and new map sensor wire as on the 4efe the wire is shared in the loom. also the igniter is built into the distributor on the 4efe so ill have to add the wires for the external igniter (have a full gt loom so got all i need)

not looking forward to it but it really cant be too hard with all the info and wiring diagrams i have gathered

Edited by SRdan

cheers bud.

was hoping to have engine in by now but missus has been in hospital so been tied up with my boys more than usual lol.

I've mated the fte upto my gearbox and is now under the car ready to be lifted in. whilst doing this i noticed that it has a paddle clutch installed so that is a huge bonus. should have it in over the weekend then ill be plugging in my 4efe loom where it fits, taking all the sleeves off the wiring and adding what connectors don't fit and also adding the few wires like knock sensor and new map sensor wire as on the 4efe the wire is shared in the loom. also the igniter is built into the distributor on the 4efe so ill have to add the wires for the external igniter (have a full gt loom so got all i need)

not looking forward to it but it really cant be too hard with all the info and wiring diagrams i have gathered

So are you cutting up the FTE loom and just adding the turbo bits to the 4e loom? Wouldn't it be easier to just use the FTE all together?

Ahhh yeah I forget that's in a different place, we've just mounted the ecu in the space in front of the gear lever. It's sits quite nicely in there. The easiest way to do that would be to pull the pins out of the 4e ecu plugs and re wire them to the FTE ecu plugs and just add the FTE wires to that. At least then it would only need a few wires extending if needs be. In theory you shouldn't need to worry about mucking around trying the get the FTE engine loom to fit the interior loom because you've basically building a 91 turbo loom. I like it 👍

Edited by Budnbass

yeah that pretty much what im going to try. read a few builds now of people just adapting the 4efe loom to take whats needed. this way round you don't need to touch the interior.

heres a little gem i found on another page..

This seems like a daunting task, it really does, but some things I did for my conversion using an EP82 loom/engine/ECU which may help you are...

- Try to use as much of the EP91 loom as you can, all you should end up doing is chopping a few connectors (because they don't fit on the EP82 engine) and running a few extra wires to the ECU

- Try to use your EP91 altenator, air conditioning and starter motor. Yes, they fit fine. If you already have power steering then happy days, but if not you can add the EP82 gear no worries.

- Depending on the EP82 year model the general wiring differences are:

- The temp sensor plugs, the EP91 has 3 wires on a single plug, the EP82 has 3 plugs. 1 Wire is for the temp guage on the dash, one goes to the HVAC module (which apparently the EP91 doesn't have!) and one goes to the ECU.

- The oxygen sensor is a single wire on the EP82, the EP91 is a 3 wire so you'll need to swap that out, the 2 extra wires on the EP91 are not used at all on the EP82

- You don't have a knock sensor on the EP91 so you'll have to run that wire from the ECU to the knock sensor

- The idle ups are same but different (EP82 has 2 idle ups for A/C/electrical load maybe?). On the EP91 you have a single idle up with 2 coloured wires (one is not an earth) whereas the EP82 has 2 idle ups, both have a single coloured wire and a shared earth.

- One thing that caught us out was the MAP sensor. It seems the EP91 signal wire is shared in the loom somewhere, so we have to run a new wire for it.

- TPS plug should be the same, the difference is the pinout on the ECU

- Biggest hassle was sorting out the ignition system, it's not that bad really but it is quite different.

- Even though they look the same, the EP91 loom ECU connectors are slightly different shapes to the EP82, same number of pins but the actual plug points are different size. What you can do is get a hair clip and pop the wires out of the plugs, so i would really suggest using the EP82 ECU connectors

I kept my A/C and also converted the EP82 power steering into my car, all that is left on my car is the idle up wiring, I can't find where the wires run from... at the same time i haven't really bothered to fix it just yet.

Edited by SRdan

That's a good find that mate. deffinatly seems the way to go! At least your interior will stay untouched. You'll just have to figure out how they run through the fuse box. Or add an aftermarket fuse block for the FTE additions.

yes bud thats the only issue i can see. i have the ep82 fuse box here so i can see what goes where.. sounds like a nightmare but i really do think i can have the wiring done over a weekend

Yeah I think the wiring would be able to be done in a weekend, Once you get your head around it and you understand what's what it'll be easy. I find with wiring and electrics it's best to focus on one wire/circuit at a time. When you start looking st the bigger picture it becomes a head ache!

engine is in. now im currently fitting the 4efe loom to everything that it fits, once ive done this i will take off the sleeves and add and take away what bits i need/dont (it really isnt that much) then re-sleeve..

not the best way to go about it but will make ity easier to trace back wires etc

hoping to be back on the road for next weekend

Out of interest, is there any particular benefits to wiring in the FTE ECU rather than using the Det3?

Just intrigued as turbo-ing mine is something that I've had in the back of my mind for a while, and connecting up the piggyback looks like considerably less hassle then using the FTE ECU :)

Did think this myself as had the det3 already wired in. However coil is completely different and much safer with knock sensor.

Also fte ecu is able to read boost where as the standard ecu doesn't. The det3 just chucks fuel in with the boost rather than read anything (in piggy back anyway) not sure on standalone

Started stripping my 82 loom. Tracing the wires I need back to ECU etc and labeling them as to where they will go on my 4efe loom. So far all seems easy enough, few more connectors to sort as the 4efte had 3 connectors to the thermostat housing rather than just the one.

9A456DA8-6B96-42D4-A08A-C7FE469939B1_zps

Anyway I'm writing down what I'm doing as I go and taking pictures. Will also be writing what wire goes where etc.

Will post up a how to thread if anyone feels this would be helpful. Big benefit with doing it this way is you shouldn't have to touch the interior (apart from adding ecu and few wires to it)

You'll have a knock control and separate ignitor/coil pack with FTE ECU.

Did think this myself as had the det3 already wired in. However coil is completely different and much safer with knock sensor.

Also fte ecu is able to read boost where as the standard ecu doesn't. The det3 just chucks fuel in with the boost rather than read anything (in piggy back anyway) not sure on standalone

Ahh I'm with you now, good point fellas :)

I'd be very interested in a wiring guide for the conversion - I'm sure that plenty of other people of here would be too, it's a question that comes up pretty frequently!