Dan's black SR (eventually project turbo)

Hi all, picked up my first Starlet last Sunday. It's not mint but really pleased with it for what I payed.

Still has the standard TTE extras and runs well, few things to do for next mot like blow in manifold gasket and cv joint.

Anyway, this is going to be a long project as I have no intention of getting rid. Going to be adding a 4-2-1 manifold and corrola inlet and few other little bits and towards end of summer next year I'll turbo it. Leaving body as it is as I prefer the subtle look.

Here's a few picks

E6933661-44DC-4FBC-8AD9-FFA25B5A1E77_zps

CAA45AE2-454D-47A7-9767-7F65A05168AB_zps

08CC4F00-BA45-4C77-8B7F-72F4A03BCDBF_zps

Look forward to posting progress

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers, it's tidy for the £450 I paid for it

MOT day tomorrow sorted the blowing in the engine bay (new manifold bolts from tuning developments and a better gasket)

I know the left CV needs replacing but going to get it MOT'd as it is so if anything else needs doing I'll do it at the same time. Bodywork is really clean.

Once mot'd will be fitting a 4-2-1 manifold and civic half rad

Edited by SRdan

thats a bargain for what looks like a mint SR 8) i put a Rolla Mani and throttle body on my Glanzlet and it dyno,d at 86.6hp. 12.6 more than standard 74hp :thumbsup: im also running a straight through 2" exhaust into a scorpion back box, some snarl from it lol

thats a bargain for what looks like a mint SR 8) i put a Rolla Mani and throttle body on my Glanzlet and it dyno,d at 86.6hp. 12.6 more than standard 74hp :thumbsup: im also running a straight through 2" exhaust into a scorpion back box, some snarl from it lol

That's impressive, I'll de-cat this one once mot'd I think then go from there. Really decent little cars, live 40mins from oulton park and hour from Anglesey's circuit so a few track days next year will be on the cards

Edited by SRdan

Mileage is high just hit 130k pulls well and will be used as a daily anyway. May put together a low milage engine with the mods I want to do for piece of mind.

They'll be going on once if found some mint ones, only thing I will add is a Renault splitter for now untill I fine a tte one as think the front bumper ends a little high.

ITS JUST PASSED MOT!! So the work will commence soon :)

Little update, fitted Renault splitter today happy with how it looks for now but would like a TTE one.

5781F34F-F12A-477D-B98C-B6D1C31E18C5_zps

Excuse the dirtiness (live in the sticks and tractors leaving crap all over the roads this time of year) :@ I'm a weekend Detailer hence the reason it looked so clean in the first photos lol. Next thing is new downpipe/decat, for performance rather than sound! Anyone else de-cat their NA? Don't want it to sound too boy racery as will eventually be abit of a sleeper

Not many TTE splitters around mate and mine cost a small fortune but was well Worth it. Love the car mate. I guess you're at the point I was at, get an NA 4 branch and decat made for minimal gains or just save the money and put it towards a turbo conversion. It will be very loud with a decat- mine was very loud even with just a back box. Keep the same diameter exhaust- slightly bigger at a push as you'll lose performance otherwise

Not many TTE splitters around mate and mine cost a small fortune but was well Worth it. Love the car mate. I guess you're at the point I was at, get an NA 4 branch and decat made for minimal gains or just save the money and put it towards a turbo conversion. It will be very loud with a decat- mine was very loud even with just a back box. Keep the same diameter exhaust- slightly bigger at a push as you'll lose performance otherwise

Cheers bud, been reading your build and it's a very similar way im looking to go with the glanza interior ect. With the cost of the splitter in mind I think I'll leave it as with the miles I'll be doing in this just can't justify ruining it. Has the factory CD player and speakers (after reading your's I realised today lol)

The hi compression low bar turbo route is the way I'm going to go, I'll start by finding a half decent ct9 and go from there. Seen a fe4e build using the fully tweekable ecu master so looking to go with that

Bit of an update. Been busy this week switching jobs, kids being ill blah blah so not got upto much.

Purchased this bush DAB radio today, has Bluetooth hands free for £75 (usually a pioneer or Jvc man but seemed a good buy) really pleased with it.

5F497EED-A193-4D67-92C3-BECBCD723358_zps

Comes with the digital areal, may take off and flush out the original.

FFE5B268-734E-46BD-B958-F3C5A8B8B451_zps

Next on the cards is 98spec interior, civic half rad as original needs replacing, and coloured hoses (may go purple)

Then still undecided weather to go 4efe turbo or buy a cheap 4efte and build it up and do it properly. I'd like to see around 200bhp and doubt the N/A would cope. Any advice/opinions welcome

well you can turbo it for around £800 using second hand parts but the most I've seen one run is around the 160ish mark- still plenty I think. Or save up the money and collect parts over time and get a full conversion but the money involved will obviously increase too. I personally was looking at turboing the 4efe using second hand parts and was then just going to get a good ct9 refurbished then mapped on an emb but I was happy to sit at 140-160.

If you're set on 200 then I think you may aswell go for a full conversion and run a td04.

Edited by Pikey009

Use a n/a with forged internals and steel headgasket, uprated injectors and Corolla inlet. Exhaust manifold go top mount with suitable downpipe so you don't need turbo oil filter relocation and exhaust system again aftermarket - so many available. Suitable clutch and i believe MR-S lsd fits into these gearboxes. Piggy back or standalone to keep it all in check also should have its own built in MAP & knock sensor. And intercooler with pipework.

If any above info is wrong, those that have done will correct it. But i'm sure the above should work.

i have a full standard ct9 kit here, planning on using a gt ecu and engine loom. car will have to be spliced or re-pinned into the ecu. im not looking any fancy hp just the standard 140 ish with hi/lo boost will do me, i think lol

Cheers for the info guys. Really aprichiate it.

After a day of reading I'll do the 4efe turbo, seems simple enough and cost wise can't really complain.

I'll start with cooling and brakes (probs glanza grooved and decent pads) and go from there. In no particular rush but hoping to hit a couple of tracks (Anglesey's and oulton park) in the spring so would be good to have it done for then.

Also added bonus tuning developments is only 40mins away so a decent map and forging shouldn't be a problem

They sound good, fit on the standard carriers or will I still need the glanza ones?

Brakes on this are poor so looking to get them done within the next couple of weeks.

I've just realised, I have a couple of pictures saved on my phone from Google of a black SR. Just so happens to be yours. Really like how that looked/sat

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for late reply, yes yours buddy.

Anyway not much to update really, pay day next week so I'll be getting things underway.

Ive sourced a jdm 100ps ecu and injectors etc. I've decided I want to have a go at cracking 100bhp without boost for now, Using modified glanza inlet, de-cat and decent exhaust system (although don't want to loose the tte backbox) Hoping that this way when it does get boosted it'll be even better as will already have a decent base bhp.

Loving driving the car, seen off a few 1.9/2.0 tdi's on the back lanes where I live, lively little cars.

Any advice/knowledge welcome

Plans seem what I was doing mate- sounds good :) I was running the Corolla inlet, panel filter and was looking at a modified exhaust manifold all mapped on an EMB. I rekon that would've cracked the 100bhp mark.

Yeh easily done mate I managed to just about stick with an ep3 on the back roads near my house lol parked up next to him in Tesco and he said he thought 'those starlet turbos' were faster on the straights- should've seen his face when I told him it was 80bhp at best on an NA. My SR would run circles round the fabia but that's got big brakes and coilovers waiting to go on

Yeah looking forward to it, my only concern is the valve springs as the jdm ones are stronger to cope with the extra 1000revs. Think I might just see if it holds out and if they go stick a fte head on it. Don't fix what's not broken?

Plan is

Jdm ecu, injectors and fuel rail

Corolla/fte mani

Decent air flow + filter

Fte throttle body

And 4-2-1 (still undecided on this as will be boosting it next year so will be redundant)

Hoping to see 100 possibly 110?

Got a rolling road 15 mins away and it's only £40 for 3 runs so I'll get proof when done.

Many achieved 100+ in an na that u know of?

Edited by SRdan