The best of the new crop of hot hatches

Well guys I'm gonna hit the big 30 this year and I've decided to treat myself to a new motor.

Has anyone got any experience with, or owned a Pug 208 gti, Fiesta ST180 or the latest Corsa VXR?

Thought the Peugeot and Fiesta were great but the Corsa was also very nice to drive and much quicker than the others in stock form anyway.

But then again the peugeot has epic handling and I see the Ford seems a lot more tuneable than the others with Mountune kits etc and the ecoboost engine

can take a lot of abuse so maybe I need to have a drive of an ST with the 215 or 230 kit on it before jumping the gun. The VXR is a little beast though.

So nice to drive a car thats quick but also refined and not a pain in the arse like a starlet can be lol.

Thoughts anyone...before i spunk my dosh on one of these bad boys?

well it would be on finance or something so no more than 15k ideally and not brand new just very nearly new lol so i dont lose 4 grand instantly driving it off the manufacturers forecourt.

ive heard the new scoobs are a bit of a let down compared to previous generations?

ohh tell me more about the fiesta RS and the yaris? which model yaris?

adamB i could have driven a few others, but i instantly dismissed both the punto abarth and kia ceed GT as having bad names/reputations...was this too hasty then?

Edited by richglanzav

well it would be on finance or something so no more than 15k ideally and not brand new just very nearly new lol so i dont lose 4 grand instantly driving it off the manufacturers forecourt.

ive heard the new scoobs are a bit of a let down compared to previous generations?

ohh tell me more about the fiesta RS and the yaris? which model yaris?

adamB i could have driven a few others, but i instantly dismissed both the punto abarth and kia ceed GT as having bad names/reputations...was this too hasty then?

I think the Fiesta RS will probably be a bit out of range, expect it to start at around £21k. I'm certain they will be out later this year, but if there anything to go by like the Focus RS, there will likely be a long waiting list. There's been a few images posted up over the web recently of the Fiesta RS under wraps on transporters.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/fiesta/85091/ford-fiesta-rs-is-the-250bhp-hot-hatch-coming

http://www.fordcarsinfo.com/sport/2017-ford-fiesta-rs/

The Kia is a very good car, it's up there with the Focus ST and Golf GTI, may not be as quick as the Focus or handle as well as the Golf, but it's certainly an option at a budget price. It looks better than the Focus IMO, but don't let the brand name put you off, granted it's not as desirable as it's competitors.

I work for ford and hardly think they will release the fiesta rs as a new model is coming soon, if vw brought the golf r then maybe. Worked for vauxhall too and the corsas arent a bad motor. A friend is selling a nurburg corsa honestly you wouldnt find a cleaner one. Imo its cleaner than when it was new. Only selling it as hes after the focus rs. If you want any info let me know.

Corsa VXR is the worst Car I've ever owned if you are looking for owners reviews all I can say is DO NOT buy one.

Have an Abarth 500 just now which is considerably better, the Punto Abarth is a very nice little car, I was afraid of the brand but (touch wood) Ive had no issues what so ever bar wear and tear.

What about the new Ford Focus RS m3 smashing motor its brother bought one 2 weeks ago in the 'Nitro Blue' perfect colour for them in my opinion m, guess my money is towards Focus RS

He's said £15k, they are nearer 40 lmao.

I work for ford and hardly think they will release the fiesta rs as a new model is coming soon, if vw brought the golf r then maybe. Worked for vauxhall too and the corsas arent a bad motor. A friend is selling a nurburg corsa honestly you wouldnt find a cleaner one. Imo its cleaner than when it was new. Only selling it as hes after the focus rs. If you want any info let me know.

Believe the RS is meant to be the run out model of the current generation :thumbsup:

Have an Abarth 500 just now which is considerably better, the Punto Abarth is a very nice little car, I was afraid of the brand but (touch wood) Ive had no issues what so ever bar wear and tear.

Thumbs up from me on these. Havent driven either but being an Alfa owner (and therefore an owner of a FIAT product) I'd agree that the concerns over reliabilty of years gone by arent the same. Would LOVE to have a spin in an Abarth Punto, meant to be great.

There's also the Mito Cloverleaf, another little pocket rocket not to be sniffed at and plenty of aftermarket support from the likes of Novitec.

Phil.

The fiat, corsa and mito are practically the same car just diff engines, underneith chassis wise are the same. Fiat also has the same issues as the corsa regards to interior stuff like heater issues etc. Not sure about the mito. Ive owned corsa vxr and had no issues except wheel bearing there is 1 big usse with the corsa and thats everyone has one 😂 I hope they release the fiesta but there is no news on being released.

Corsa VXR is the worst Car I've ever owned if you are looking for owners reviews all I can say is DO NOT buy one.

He's said £15k, they are nearer 40 lmao.

Oh right my bad was skimming through probs not seen the £15k lol how about the Seat Leon Cupra R but they are basiclly a golf but cheaper lol not that expensive about 25k brand new from showroom but sure £15k can get used one only thing to do is get low mileage one and watch out for the ones that have been clocked you'll able to see from mileage history amount of miles they do yearly etc

tahiR

AdamB that 2nd link youve put up right at the bottom it says update: ford are skipping the rs and are planning on releasing an st200 model instead. Hope its wrong tbh, would be nice to see a fiesta rs

The fiat, corsa and mito are practically the same car just diff engines, underneith chassis wise are the same. Fiat also has the same issues as the corsa regards to interior stuff like heater issues etc. Not sure about the mito. Ive owned corsa vxr and had no issues except wheel bearing there is 1 big usse with the corsa and thats everyone has one I hope they release the fiesta but there is no news on being released.

Bought my corsa 3 and a half years old with 17k on the clock. Traded it in 2 and a half years later with 56k.

During ownership:

I got about 27 mpg

Cost £280pa road tax

Replaced both rear wheel bearings twice

Blown head gasket

Slipping clutch

Wiper linkage faulty

"performance" engine that delivered all its power within 500rpm you'd have thought it was a diesel

Terrible handling car

Bonnet bubbled and needed replaced 2 months after purchased ( covered under warranty )

If you sit in the seats for longer than an hour you will need spinal surgery

Basically the biggest pile of dogshit ever.

Looks cool though.

Thumbs up from me on these. Havent driven either but being an Alfa owner (and therefore an owner of a FIAT product) I'd agree that the concerns over reliabilty of years gone by arent the same. Would LOVE to have a spin in an Abarth Punto, meant to be great.

There's also the Mito Cloverleaf, another little pocket rocket not to be sniffed at and plenty of aftermarket support from the likes of Novitec.

Phil.

Agreed Phil, dont get me wrong they are still plastic fantastic but its not a premium brand.

If anyone was keen I would advise to make sure they buy a 180bhp model.

Other than the obvious lack of quality ( on par with a ford ) it has been a great little car does about 45mpg and is nippy and fun, looks good with the right wheels IMO and they are easily the best sounding factory supermini I genuinely dont know how abarth made a 1.4 sound so good.

• 2 weeks later...