got a spare 5efhte block sitting around so thinking about my next upgrade.

ive searched high and low and cannot find a 'high compression' forge piston, dos anyone know if this exists?

alternatively whats the best budget forge kit?

ive seen TD, RT and SV do kits but im wandering if i were to source each part individually would there be a saving to b made?

also could i push a bigger piston onto the 5efhte rod avoiding the need for using a forged rod?

besides the forge stuff i basically want the rest to be genuine toyota parts, has anyone found a 'camskill' replacement, they were best price for bits until they stopped stocking

High compression pistons either custom or I think alamo in the US were doing them I don't know if they are still around I've heard 5e forged engines suffer from oil pressure issues I've never built one myself but it sort of put me off building one someone on here maybe able to shed more light on that

Depends how high you are looking for the compression to be? I'm sure Wiseco do 9:1 pistons for the FTE, if you couple that with a 5E headgasket and perhaps a mild skim then you'll push it a bit higher still?

I've heard of people using Wiseco pistons with standard rods, but like Colin said, forged rods are really cheap on eBay so may as well chuck a set in while you're replacing stuff! The Maxspeeding ones are supposed to be ok from what I've heard.

Edited by Fozzie

got a spare 5efhte block sitting around so thinking about my next upgrade.

ive searched high and low and cannot find a 'high compression' forge piston, dos anyone know if this exists?

alternatively whats the best budget forge kit?

ive seen TD, RT and SV do kits but im wandering if i were to source each part individually would there be a saving to b made?

also could i push a bigger piston onto the 5efhte rod avoiding the need for using a forged rod?

besides the forge stuff i basically want the rest to be genuine toyota parts, has anyone found a 'camskill' replacement, they were best price for bits until they stopped stocking

YEs

it was one of my setup and i bought directly from "momentum motorsport Uk" on ebay .

High compression pistons either custom or I think alamo in the US were doing them I don't know if they are still around I've heard 5e forged engines suffer from oil pressure issues I've never built one myself but it sort of put me off building one someone on here maybe able to shed more light on that

similar to the 4e, once built properly, they don't suffer any oil pressure issues

people have shimmed the pressure relief valve in the past, but i'm not sure its even needed

i've ran a 5efte for nearly 10 years now with no issues

i think cp does a flat top piston which would help with keeping the compression high

however, some tuners say a dished pistons is better for flame front and less chance of detonation

also, stock 5efhe rods are good (i use them), BUT for the price of a set of forged rods nowadays, you might as well get some and they will handle more than the 5efhe rods....so you would be bullet proof almost lol

Edited by gorganl2000

What's the reason for wanting high compression?

You can only go as high as the fuel you use will allow anyway.

As Gorgan said, flat tops is a no no in turbo motors because they retard the flame front. The Wiseco -10cc dished pistons are the best off the shelf design you can get for a 4E/5E without spec'ing your own with someone likes CP or JE. Then you're talking a fair chunk more cash.

thanks chaps loads of info here.

What's the reason for wanting high compression?

You can only go as high as the fuel you use will allow anyway.

As Gorgan said, flat tops is a no no in turbo motors because they retard the flame front. The Wiseco -10cc dished pistons are the best off the shelf design you can get for a 4E/5E without spec'ing your own with someone likes CP or JE. Then you're talking a fair chunk more cash.

was just wanting to do something different with minimal lag.

looking online quick im thinking about scat rods with 75mm wiseco pistons, how do they appease to people quality wise?

according to here those pistons create a 9.3 CR - http://www.wiseco.com/Catalogs/SportCompact/AB17SC-Subaru-Toyota.pdf

also with this 'low oil pressure' scenario (something im experiencing in my current motor, hence) does anyone make an uprated pump?

looking online quick im thinking about scat rods with 75mm wiseco pistons, how do they appease to people quality wise?

according to here those pistons create a 9.3 CR - http://www.wiseco.com/Catalogs/SportCompact/AB17SC-Subaru-Toyota.pdf

also with this 'low oil pressure' scenario (something im experiencing in my current motor, hence) does anyone make an uprated pump?

When you say low, what reading you got at what rpm?

When you say low, what reading you got at what rpm?

havent had a reading on it just the oil pressure light is always on at upto 2000rpm. i thought it was the sensor wire earthing to the manifold/engine or something so ignored it but recently compression has dropped right down (rebuild territory) so basically i screwed my motor up :(

You'll get a far better burn with the slightly dished pistons than you will with flat tops.

You'll be able to run more ignition advance which will bring the lag down and outweigh the increase in CR.

If you want to know more speak to Harry from Oz, he ran some Ross flat tops I believe it was and managed less than 20 degrees igntion advance! For a motor even with 9:1 CR that's is terrible!

Also take into account, it's not just the pistons which affects the CR, headgasket, cylinder head volume etc etc also have an influence.

My Wiseco -10cc dished pistons needed machined slightly, that was using a 0.5mm metal gasket though.

Talking shite... mine were near flat tops.

Edited by daniel_g