• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Alrite folks,

Its been a while since I updated the page, so here goes.

Rear discs conversion parts

At the moment the biggest update to the build is that I am after buying the basic parts that I need to convert the starlet to rear disc brakes.

disc.jpg

I bought the parts last Thursday and they arrived on Tuesday morning, so far Ive only looked at one side of the set but the discs are like new almost. similar story with the pads, unsure of the make though so will probably get sum aftermarket pads.

The calipers had some surface rust and dirt on them, a good going over with a wire brush and their good to go now id say, the piston on the one i checked seems nice an free.

My plans are as such for the conversion are to hold off till March or april and get the following;

Maybe get some 3g rear 10 grooved discs,

I'm thinking either Sard or Project mu pads

And steel braided from either Dave B or TT

Rite on to the smaller stuff

I've Sound deadened my 2 front doors in an effort to reduce the rattles and improve the sound quality of my radio.

It did work infariness, but I need to do the other doors now, will add photos of this when I find what camera their on.

Optional extra cup holder and Rev Counter

I saw an Optional cup holder on ebay and bought it kinda on impulse, fitted it on Tuesday looks cool, I like it.

Also I got a 52mm rev counter for myself as I've been wanting one for a while now.

Also I fitted a full set of Reflet Rear light clusters a few weeks back, will post up pics of these when I clean the car and get a nice day for photos.

nice updates, makes life in the starlet even better with those stuff.

Thanx mate, ya the cup holder and the rev counter are badly needed...

Good update dude! 5dr N/A starlets FTW !!!!!

The whole built kinda reminds me of my Starlet (althought I haven't done anything new to it since I got the Paseo.. )

cheers mate, I decided to mod my 5dr after seeing that there aren't many done up 5drs, to me its a chance to be different in my own way.

What rev gauge did you get mate?

Also if you have any problems fitting it I've wrote a guide, it's in the tech section.

Hey,

I got a Spec R 52mm smoked tacho off ebay, I will add photos on monday

it does the job and didnt cost very much.....it will do any way until get the defi 80mmm version in the future.....

Ya I used your guide as a starting point but wired mine up slightly different, it now dim's when I switch on the car's lights

nice project,cooling panel looks great lad!

thanx mate, much appreciated

Ah I have a new design for the cooling panel on the way and then it will look even better and ill paint this one matt black.

Where did you wire it into so the light changes with the car lights? Mine is on as soon as you turn the key, the good thing is you can't tell the light it on during the day though so it doesn't bother me, just wondered for in the future if I do it again.

Where did you wire it into so the light changes with the car lights? Mine is on as soon as you turn the key, the good thing is you can't tell the light it on during the day though so it doesn't bother me, just wondered for in the future if I do it again.

I used the dimmer control wire in the radio's wiring loom, I tapped into the wire in the extension harness and went from there. maybe add the option to the install guide you have already put up.

• 2 months later...

Well I just thought that I\\\\\\\'d do a little update of my ep exploits of late.

Firstly I had my NCT (Irish version of the UK mot) earlier in the month,

so I serviced the car ....changed the sard oil filter, chucked in sum castrol oil, changed the iridium plugs, cleaned the TRD airfilter and fitted a new rotor arm and dizzy cap. Also had the headlights aligned.

Lovely result running smooth and cool,

So off I went to the test and guess what IT FAILED......apparently play in the rear drivers wheel bearing,

went and bought a new bearing and me and my bro went to fit if (He does all my modding work that requires experience with cars as he\\\\\\\'s an ex panel beater), when we went to remove the old bearing it was in perfect condition AND there was no play in it, so we tightened it up a tad and put it back through the test.

RESULT???????

IT PASSED........

So onwards with the mooding again.

Here's a new cooling panel I made and finish painting yesterday.

disc.jpg

Also Pics of the Tacho im using.....its dinky but does the job.

Also fitted a new halfords heavy duty battery with 510 amps so its a third as strong again as the oem toyota battery

Also added pics of the reflect lights I added a bit back

Nic

• 3 months later...

Well its been a while since I did any work to the starlet other than driving the bollocks out of it, so with that in mind I though that it was long overdue sum TLC and mods more importantly.

A few weeks back Starlet Nath started selling off the parts from his build, while I had always liked keeping track of his build I was suprised to see his build come to an end,

But every cloud has a silver lining.....Nath was selling sum parts that I've always wanted namely a okuyama Carbing 3 point Aluminum strur brace.

The brace in question is to my knowledge not very common, in fact correct me if im wrong but the only other one fitted im aware of was on MC CHU's purple glanza.

With that in mind I bough the brace and it arrived this morning along with a whiteline 22mm front ARB,

Here are sum photo's (if photobucket works for me, if not Ill fix it 2night) of the brace fitted loosely to the top of the strut mounts.

IMG_2233.jpg

IMG_2234.jpg

IMG_2237.jpg

Sum photos of it on my kitchen table

IMG_2218.jpg

IMG_2222.jpg

I will fit the brace tomorrow as im off work then and will update with proper fitted pics.

Nic

well worth it there awesome!!

Yeah it seems to be making a difference already.

They are Epic braces, just very very expensive :unsure:

Yes they are expensive but until you've held one then you don't appreciate it properly, the welding is stunning and it's light as a feather.

Git it bolted to the bulkhead :p

Stunning piece of kit

That was the plan for yesterday, but I ran out of time so I stioll have a little left to do.

Looks mint mate :p

thanx

stunning peice of kit!

Nath and Nic have good taste!

Phil.

Cheers boss

Well I went about fitting the brace yesterday.

Happy to say its 90% on now, must just tighten up the bulkhead bolt when my bro gives me my sockets and stuff back

Unfortunately it wasn't an easy fit or a direct fit. the metal of the end links was a little high and was catching on the frame of the bonnet when closing the bonnet.

The Solution??

I got the my trusty persuader (the hammer) and beat a half golf ball size part of the frame in, in order to close the bonnet. Thankfully it doesn't appear to have damaged the profile of the bonnet so it's all gud.

Results

It does seem to turn in a shade quicker (Although im not using it fully yet) and for sum reason a vibration off my cooling panel and bonnet is now gone....Added bonus.

Here are sum photos of the job

IMG_2238.jpg

IMG_2248.jpg

IMG_2249.jpg

IMG_2250.jpg

• 2 weeks later...