Is it just me or does anyone elses N/A Starlet...

I noticed this a long time ago but I thought I might aswell ask anyway, after a certain RPM (pretty high definately past 5k or so) the sound changes from a deep roar to sort of a fairly deep "tinny" - almost similar to a VTEC sound but different ;) I was wondering is this sound normal or not? Does anyone else's 4EFE do this? Breathing mods I have are rolla mani and a open filter coming off a bit of alu pipe.

Or could the sound be something different altogether - maybe at high RPM the engine is shaking the shit out of something causing it to rattle and make a noise?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it's anything to do with the cams (atleast I don't think so) it's just wierd that the sound changes like it does, the thing about VTEC was a bit of a joke so don't take it too seriously. ;)

I can't think of anything though, the engine is running fine and it was only a few months ago that I fully serviced it including oil flush & change.

I thought it would be because of the air filter setup (just having a different sound) but it did it before on the airbox anyway.

I think i know what you mean when going from 60 (3k) to 70-80 i can hear a kinda of a deep roar from the mani sounds fooking amazing. Must try and be chav n video it or something lol ;)

Possibly because they're DOHC maybe, second cam kicking in maybe?

(could be talking rubbish, as am a noob when it comes to engines)

Only thing I can think of

DOHC means the engine has an seperate camshaft for exhaust and intake as opposed to just one, wouldn't be causing the sound. VTEC makes the changeover sound as when you hit a certain RPM a larger lobe on the intake cam is engaged...no idea what the noise you're hearing is mate! But if it sounds nice, enjoy it! lol

mine makes the same noise at high revs, like you say about 5k or so. think its just the set up as i have a 'rolla mani and it didnt make this noise before i fitted it, also when im doing over a certain revs if i lightly press the throttle, wen it sucks it sounds bit like a turbo whistling ;) i love it ;)

Idrees' sounded like this at the last Hudds meet. Sounded awesome on his SR. He has a 5Zigen back box on his as well. Yum Yum ;) .

Bourkey

Thanks dude. Yes since I have fitted the 5Zigen exhaust (which came off a CRX Vtec) and I must say mine sounds like a mini Vtec thingy hehe ;) it's too addictive though!

Mine pops and bangs. It has flamed very large once shifting down form high speed on Snakes Pass ;). Mine also sets car alarms off, makes dogs bark, and just genrally sounds like hell is breaking loose behind me. Silencers pfffff who needs them ;).

Bourkey