• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Were there many of these buggy things made? I saw one the other day, thought of your project straight away lol

There are about 20-30 in existance, with only about 12 currently road legal. so not many really, mine will be the first one with a Starlet engine in! Nearly all the others have mini engines as thats what the kit was designed for. There are a few people trying different things, K series, MGF engine and even somone putting a R1 engine in one :mellow: I thought the Starlet engine sounded a good route, plus it will be the only 1 with it in :)

I want a project like this now real bad :)

But buddy, are you gonna be clamping the battery down some how? Can see any bump will throw the bugger out of that small holder :p

LOL Thats my first job today, strap it down so it ain't going anywhere.

I have wanted a project like this since before i could drive (over 10 years now) and finally got round to it. Now i can't wait to get it on the road.

Jason :)

whle i have been reading this thread, ive been thinking... surely this thing, with sticky tyres and most of weight over the back, will wheely when launched?!!!! and also have u thort it may understeer? this is guna be a beast to drive lol

lol i never thought of that youl need to get some stabilizers haha

whle i have been reading this thread, ive been thinking... surely this thing, with sticky tyres and most of weight over the back, will wheely when launched?!!!! and also have u thort it may understeer? this is guna be a beast to drive lol

I have also been thinking about this, to be honest i just don't know. If it does lift at the front when i set off then i will be fitting a wheelie bar! :mellow: im currently working on getting more weight off the back and onto the front!

As for understeer, i think it will be the oposiite! Real short wheel base and RWD, will oversteer all over the place, but again not sure till its done!

Jason

*** another small update ***

Well went back to the workshop today and managed to do a few small things. Had to actually do some work today so didn't have time to do too much. I also didn't know where my boss was going to let me keep the buggy so didn't want to completely strip it down only to be told to move it out of the workshop. Luckily my boss has said i can keep it in the workshop and it has been moved out of the way. Now i can start fully breaking down the front end and painting the hubs/arms/etc.

Here you go Galliano, Did get the battery strap fitted to the car so now this ain't going anywhere :)

2884_193278580472_587840472_6596050_5143514_n.jpg

Then started work on the front discs and hub parts. Cleaned the the rust off the discs, they are brand new but becasue the car has been sat in the wet for a bit they looked bad. Painted the parts i could black.

2884_193278585472_587840472_6596051_7932831_n.jpg

Then got the adjustable tie rods off the car, sprayed black and then back on the car. I added some bits of clear shrink wrap that will be shrunk over the lock nut when the camber/steering is all finally set up.

These will be coming off again when i do the camber arms and the rest of the hub parts now i know that the car is out of the way i can remove all these parts.

2884_193278590472_587840472_6596052_334449_n.jpg

The rest of this month will be me cleaning and painting up parts and rebuilding them back on the car as i am trying to stick to a tight budget and not spend anything else on the car this month.

I love posting the build thread on here as you guys always have something to say/comment on and its nice to have a bit of feed back.

Would love to know what you guys think so far? and also any ideas you think may help? Its pretty much a blank canvas at the moment until the engine goes in, as you guys live with your starlets/glanza's you must have some ideas on this??? I have ideas on how im going to do certain things but not everything.

Jason :mellow:

Had a look on a couple of calculators and at 700kg and an easily achievable 160bhp this thing will be good for less than 5 secs 0-60, and if you go a bit silly with it and get it up to around 250bhp you will be doing 60mph in around 3.6 seconds. :mellow:

Had a look on a couple of calculators and at 700kg and an easily achievable 160bhp this thing will be good for less than 5 secs 0-60, and if you go a bit silly with it and get it up to around 250bhp you will be doing 60mph in around 3.6 seconds. :)

LOL :mellow: Sounds interesting! Only problem is those figures are only reliable if i get traction, which im probably not going to! First thing will be to get this road legal then will come weight loss program and moving some weight to the front. Im not going to push it over 200bhp as i want reliable power. Im aiming for a comfortable 180ish which i think will be MORE than enough and scare the crap out of me!

Jason :)

Thanks for idea's guys.

Here are a few things i have been toying with.............. :p

As the engine is technically the same way round but at the rear of the car it works out that the turbo will sit between the seats, im intending to have the intake sitting between the seats through the engine cover.....so its almost sucking your brains out through you ears :)

I have a Carbon fibre bike can that should give the car an interesting sound as well :mellow:

Intercooler will sit at the side of the car and i will be making a huge side vent to draw the air to it, oil cooler will sit the other side and have a similar vent.

I started making a Camera system for my Lexus but this got put on hold, however im going to transfer that system into this car. Consists of a 160Gig removable hardrive with several camera's in the car (front,rear, in car) and mic's and a switch panel that alows me to switch between them. I have found a device that at the push of a button will record direct to the hardrive without a PC :) And a small screen somewhere so i can see what i am recording!

Removable steering wheel, this will be added after the IVA as i need to have a colapsable boss to meet regs.

For the fuel tanks i was thinking about modifying 2x fire extinguishers that will be mounted to the roll cage and then spray these up to look like NOS bottles. Just for a bit of a laugh :)

If i ever get round to it i might fit some strobe lights in the front lights also???

Does anyone know if the EP82's have a OBD2 port? I know they where common from 2000 onwards but some manufacturers fitted them long before this?

Jason :p

Im not too sure what other engine mods to go for but im sure in time i will see what will work best with the car.

*** Little Update ***

Been working on the car before work as i have been pretty busy this week.Got the dual brake master cylinder rebuilt with new seals and internals and even gave it a coat of black hammerite to keep it from rusting.

Got one of the front brake calipers overhauled with new seals throughout and brand new stainless steel calipers, now just have to do the other one :)

here is what it looked like before..........

2884_195820615472_587840472_6651246_6393213_n.jpg

and here is what it looks like after......... :)

2884_195820610472_587840472_6651245_1694246_n.jpg

2884_195820605472_587840472_6651244_3494024_n.jpg

Needs a bit of the paint retouching up but mainly there. Now just have to start the other one.

I know its not much of a update but peoples posative comments usually keep me motivated :p

I will be at the workshop on Sunday as Girlfriend is going to a Ace Cafe bike meet so have some free time :lol: Hopefully update again then with more done!

Jason

*** More pictures ^_^ ***

Was back at the workshop today to get some more things on the go, bit of a pain as its a 20 mile drive each way but at least i have lots of room to work on the buggy and loads of tools.

Got both the front hubs removed and managed to get one stripped down, painted with several coats of hammerite and all back together. Got the brake caliper back on as well so looks all good now.

Have added several pieces of heatshrink to the adjustable arms so that when the camber/tracking is all done it can be shrunk around the nuts to help prevent them rusting and keep it all in place a bit better.

Before i started.......

2884_196638135472_587840472_6674282_4163539_n.jpg

and after being reasembled.....

2884_196638150472_587840472_6674284_3953444_n.jpg

2884_196638160472_587840472_6674286_3055925_n.jpg

Will be getting the brake pads and clips in tomorrow when everything is all dried. :D

Jason :p

FTW :D

Loving it mate, your gonna be scared to use this once its finished - the threat of dirt and all that..

Oh believe me im going to use this thing!!!!! ^_^ Just want to get as much painted/protected as i can now to stop it rusting etc. Its going to be sat around most of the year on my mates drive under a car cover.

Will use it as much as possible over the summer months then rebuild/rework on parts over winter months when im not using the car. This things going to look like a mish mash of colours/parts for a long time till its all done and road legal and then comes the job of stripping it all down again to be resprayed!

i can see some1 having a really nasty accident in this lol

better take plenty spare underwear lol

Bloody hope not! :D Like i have said before, i like to think im a good driver and don't intend on spending all this time making this just to crash it! but you never know! ^_^