What's your opinions on rat look cars? I know it's mostly either old cars or VDubs but it has progressed into other cars as of late, like Pug 106's. How do you get the rusty orange bonnet? Is it rubbed down with battery acid then glossed over to prevent further rust?

A few examples:

ratlook10.jpg

p61205622ma.jpg

IMG_3428.jpg

Rat-Rust_Style_31.jpg

What do you guys reckon to it? Starlet? Haha. I think it looks like fun, a real change.

Cheers.

As a self conessed X-VDub' aholic I loved the rat cars, but at shows u tend to find that it just suits the older generation cars, take the focus on the last pic for example.

It suits the beetles and mk1s alot more dont you think, unless youve got the old mk1 starlets (not sure on the model name of that one??) decked to the floor on some dishy rims im not sure putting an 82 or a V through it would work well??

Be the firs to try and prove me wrong though! :)

im a big fan, but i could never do it to a car myself.

a ratted starlet would defo be something different, im not convinced it would suit the tame jap looks to be honest... but hey, its something different, so why not try it!

my old gripe with ratted cars is when they do one small rat inspired mod (i.e the bonnet) and do the rest pure showcar stylee, then it just looks like the cars fucked.

very much like the fiesta above, but thats just my opinion.

It suits the beetles and mk1s alot more dont you think, unless youve got the old mk1 starlets (not sure on the model name of that one??) decked to the floor on some dishy rims im not sure putting an 82 or a V through it would work well??

Be the firs to try and prove me wrong though! :p

I've got an ep82 (not a quadlight). I'm not sure though, I may have to do some photoshops!

I'm still confused how they do their bonnets... They must protect them after rusting them, surely?

[EDIT] Yeah Scutch, I agree with that mate, I'd rather the whole car be ratted rather than JUST the bonnet.

my old gripe with ratted cars is when they do one small rat inspired mod (i.e the bonnet) and do the rest pure showcar stylee, then it just looks like the cars fucked.

very much like the fiesta above, but thats just my opinion.

Bang on! People do it different ways mate, alot of people who just do the bonnet sand the paint straight off, then when they get fed up with it just replace it.

It can also involve doing a poor sanding down job of the whole car and leaving bits of paint in the crooks and crannies, but in general, no they dont use any protection etc.

I may be wrong but there may be a rust effect paint out there, im sure ive heard something about it, but was never that interested to look into it further. If you want to get into it mate why not check out www.edition38.com/forums and ask some questions?

Do I try? Haha, I'm not sure, I don't know if it'd look right... But I have seen it look good on some really different cars (this comes to mind).

I have a prime car for it, dents, a bit unkempt and that. I'll have a think about it, in the mean time I may paint my wheels a funky colour, steelies and that!

Any more opinions?