Cat's Ep82 Starbo Thread - Now Forged & Sequential!

Right, finally got home yesterday, so was finally able to go and pic up the car I had sorted a deal with before I went offshore. So finally I truely am part of the starbo world!

After deciding randomly I felt like a change of car, browsed the usual places, ebay, piston heads, local car seller things etc etc and found a decent sounding GT semi close to where I live.

Went into looking at teh car quite unprepared which could mean I got raped, but for the price I don't think it's bad at all. Although I could easily be proved wrong!

After a bit of negotiation, managed to get it for £1850 with 6 months tax & mot.

Few pics:

IMG00374.jpg

IMG00382.jpg

IMG00376.jpg

IMG00375.jpg

IMG00373.jpg

Noticed a few wee problems with it as no car is perfect at that price!:

front left damper radged - Got coilovers

carpet has been cut - wtf really!

rear wiper doesn't work - not sure, can hear something moving like lol

Also have a few questions regarding this as the seller didn't have much answers:

Exhaust, what kind is it?

Pics:

IMG00377.jpg

IMG00378.jpg

Also the alloys, are they worth anything?

Aaron said they're worth a bit if cleaned up, would like some more opinions as they will be sold most likely:

IMG00379.jpg

IMG00381.jpg

IMG00380.jpg

piss pics but it's cold out there!

Also have had parts waiting for me for when I got home before I even got the car lol Will psot pics of em soon.

Constructive opinions, advice and any information about the car is welcome!

This is all taken from tgtt so is compressed a fair bit lol

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Few of the parts that I have bought for it:

BC Coilovers:

IMG00383.jpg

Air filter relocation kit:

IMG00384.jpg

Team dynamic Pro Race 1.2's:

IMG00413.jpg

IMG00414.jpg

IMG00415.jpg

Head unit and trays fitted:

IMG00416.jpg

IMG00417.jpg

4 pot setup:

IMG00517.jpg

IMG00518.jpg

Turbo:

IMG00519.jpg

IMG00520.jpg

Recaro seats:

IMG00525.jpg

IMG00526.jpg

IMG00527.jpg

Brake cylinder stopper:

IMG00528.jpg

HDI Intercooler:

IMG00531.jpg

IMG00532.jpg

IMG00533.jpg

IMG00534.jpg

IMG00535.jpg

Sequential shifter:

DSCF0004.jpg

DSCF0005.jpg

Braided lines:

IMG00524.jpg

Arc top mount intercooler:

IMG00438.jpg

IMG00443.jpg

IMG00443.jpg

Zisco equal length stainless manifold:

DSCF0001.jpg

DSCF0002.jpg

DSCF0003.jpg

Zisco stainless decat:

DSCF0003.jpg

DSCF0007.jpg

Just reading over the thread and it does look like none of the parts are fitted lol.

Some pics of them fitted:

Team Dynamics & Wilwoods:

DSCF0034.jpg

Lots of blue hosing:

DSCF0035.jpg

Samco Hosing:

DSCF0037.jpg

Recaro's:

DSCF0038.jpg

Interior stuff: Note - that pedal was there when I got it, just haven't removed it yet!!

DSCF0039.jpg

BC Coilovers (adjustable top mount part):

DSCF0040.jpg

Cusco cylinder stopper:

DSCF0041.jpg

Air filter relocation:

DSCF0036.jpg

I am tempted to fit the shifter today but I am going down to england with the car on Wednesday and would prefer to have it standard shifting just incase lol

More stuff that has arrived:

DSCF0056.jpg

DSCF0057.jpg

DSCF0058.jpg

DSCF0059.jpg

Turbo in bits to rotate:

DSCF0060.jpg

DSCF0061.jpg

DSCF0062.jpg

Although I don't have a set of clip things to manage to rotate the housing, so it's back together with it pointing towards the front of the car if it was in lol

Also half the kit is missing, where it's gone I am unsure as I was given 2 tracking numbers and I collected 2 packages. So investigating whats went on there like! lol

Also received new rear disks as mine are a bit past it. Didn't take any pics of those though, not really interesting.

The offending compressor housing locating pin in location:

DSCF0064.jpg

The offending compressor housing locating pin removed:

DSCF0067.jpg

The offending compressor housing locating pin itself!:

DSCF0069.jpg

The Exhaust housing buffed off:

DSCF0065.jpg

All finished rotating:

DSCF0070.jpg

DSCF0071.jpg

Just need to "engineer" the actuator to fit now due to the rotation then at least it's ready to throw on.

Post brought some more parts of the turbo kit!:

DSCF0072.jpg

DSCF0073.jpg

Few more parts arrived when I got home:

DSCF0075.jpg

DSCF0075.jpg

New leads, dizzy stuff, rear bearings, bearing caps (or whatever they're called), exhaust gasket, rear brake pads and sump plug.

DSCF0076.jpg

DSCF0077.jpg

New rad and injectors.

Need a few more gaskets and bolts and I should be good to start throwing on shit to the car. Hopefully pick them up tomorrow from town. Hopefully so I can get stuff on this week.

Today I made a little head way into getting some of the junk that I've bought onto the car, even though it was raining!:

Off with the old:

DSCF0078.jpg

DSCF0079.jpg

Mid process:

DSCF0080.jpg

DSCF0081.jpg

Finally fitted:

DSCF0082.jpg

Just took it out for a spin, feels really weird although I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Although things didn't go smoothly, mainly this:

DSCF0087.jpg

Oooops!:angry2:

So I had to throw on my new leads as well for that, so put on the new dizzy and rotor arm while at it:

DSCF0086.jpg

DSCF0083.jpg

note thats before they are pushed in properly and yes my engine bay is filthy :wub:

As stated this is ripped from another forum so is compressed a fair bit, and not very well laid out or organised! haha

Any comments good or constructive welcome!

Nice car and mods.

I'm guessing the gearbox is standard?

Go steady with that shifter.

Most people pull the car out of gear before the clutch is full disengaged, this is fine with a normal H pattern as your only going from in gear to neutral, by the time your ready to go back in a gear the clutch is fully down.

With a "sequential" style shifter, soon as you move the lever its ready to go in gear much quicker than normal and you tend to press the clutch 2 late and wear the syncro's very quickly.

Drive steady till you get used to it :angry2:

Nice build matey :(

Nice car and mods.

I'm guessing the gearbox is standard?

Go steady with that shifter.

Most people pull the car out of gear before the clutch is full disengaged, this is fine with a normal H pattern as your only going from in gear to neutral, by the time your ready to go back in a gear the clutch is fully down.

With a "sequential" style shifter, soon as you move the lever its ready to go in gear much quicker than normal and you tend to press the clutch 2 late and wear the syncro's very quickly.

Drive steady till you get used to it :angry2:

Nay to worry about that bud, used to it pretty much already. But appreciate the advice.

got some stunning bits there m8y. some good advice there aswell ricky

Cheers B)

Excellent mate,

Quite a shopping list you've got there too!!

by the way, rotating the turbo housing is known as clocking :wub:

Cheers :( Yeah I ended up clocking it when I didn't need to B) so it's clocked to the right position for my fmic now haha.

Pretty cool build first time I seen one of those shifters fitted are they worth the money?

How come you went back to the TMIC when you forged it and then changed intercooler again for the TD04? :angry2::wub:

Very cool build keep it up

looks like it going to be an awesome build!! a very interesting start anyway!! :(

Aye a wee bit more to go like, should be project complete soon enough, well apart from minor things.

Pretty cool build first time I seen one of those shifters fitted are they worth the money?

How come you went back to the TMIC when you forged it and then changed intercooler again for the TD04? :(:angry2:

Very cool build keep it up

Well I bought the hdi as I thought I'll try a fmic, then I bought the TD04 kit which has one in it so no point in keeping hte one I had. Only reason I have the tmic back on is that I haven't got round to fitting my td04 kit with it's fmic.

Awesome Cat ! Hadnt relised you had done so much or intended to.. them recaros look mint and your arc has went to a good home bud :wub: Cant wait to see this end product !

Glen

Thought you'd like it bud B)

Nice.|

Those wheels you had were rays, very expensive jdm wheels.

Have you still got them? may be worth putting them up for sale.

rather the rays on a jdm car than team dynamics though...

I had those on my peugeot :angry2:

Mitch

Whats the verdict on the sequential shifter mate? doubt there is much drop in rpm between changes now :wub:

Yeah it's pretty quick like, only ever done one real quick shift to show how quick you can change gear to a mate like as I'm not one for raping my cars tbh, I ironically don't drive quickly at all. Usually build my cars to a very nice spec just to do it, learn about it and make it as reliable as possible.

Nice.|

Those wheels you had were rays, very expensive jdm wheels.

Have you still got them? may be worth putting them up for sale.

rather the rays on a jdm car than team dynamics though...

I had those on my peugeot :angry2:

Mitch

Tbh I don't care much for the whole JDM imagine. Don't want to sound like I'm being arsey at all, just never cared much for it if you get me.

I hawked em as soon as I got my pro races on. And they wouldn't fit over my 4 pots and I knew my pro races would as I had wilwoods 4 pots on my 106 gti and pro races as well. Was quite gutted I couldn't just keep my 106 wheels and use em haha

• 2 weeks later...
Hey mate I would really appreciate it if you could PM me where you purchased the Sequential shifter from and how much. If you're not keen on letting me know the price then the place would be awesome.

hi evaded

i spoke with this owner previously he returned info that lead me back to co site http://www.ikeya-f.co.jp/en/index.html i under stand that the co mod 1of their existing units to suit the starlet .

from this owner i believe he acquired this unit in a group buy they are apparently expensive (unconfirmed )

sorry for jumping on your thread but i hope this is what you wanted

lyle