Most Effective Brake Mods? (ep91 N/a)

The brake pads/shoes need replacing but since I have changed the suspension it's become very clear that the standard brakes are definately not up to the task of slowing down the car quickly enough.

So I want to do something about upgrading the brakes but I do not have much money to spend. (So no expensive big discs on the front or no rear axle with disc conversions for me :harhar: )

I'm going to just replace the rears with standard parts but I definately want some uprated pads on the front.

Which pads do people recommend for "fast road use"? EBC Yellow/Green stuff? Mintex?

I need something that's going to last a while but also gives good stopping power.

Also which brake components would I see the most benefit from? Brake master cylinder stopper? Braided lines?

to be honest, just new OEM ones will already make a huge difference!

On my old N/A EP91 they also had to be replaced, after the brake in period they felt like a million dollars compared to the worn out ones. I did get new front discs to though.

At the moment my old N/A, which is my lil borthers now, brakes ten times better then my glanza!!! just because it has fresh new brakes alround.

If it other components youre talking about, replcing the brakefluid is always a good thing to do after a few years. I have heard lots of great thing about the BMCS. I did not fit mine yet so can't comment on that to be honest.

To sum it up for you, just replace with OEM should already make lots of difference, combine that with a BMCS for that more "direct" feel and you should be good to go :harhar:

I have front braided lines and a idrees bmc stopper....brakes feel spongy (may need a full re-bleed again) but if you really whack the brakes it stops quite fast, mind the pads need to be checked for wear.

in my opinion thats all we N/A lads need basic upgrade like that fresh pads + fluid.

Dont full agree with the glanza rear axle being needed on a N/A, 15% or so of the braking is done by it.

braided lines, bmcs, fresh pads, 5.1 fluid, new shoes on the rear (cylinder if needed) and your away :harhar:

So for a very basic upgrade if I was to just put new OEM pads on and a BMCS and maybe braided lines would I see a big improvement over the old worn pads I've got now? And of course changing the brake fluid as the stuff that's in there now has probably been there for years...

I have been reading up on EBC pads though and the Yellowstuff ones seem really good, but I just don't have the money for them really.

Are BMCS really that good? Stupidly high cost for a simple piece of metal!

It all comes down to the the budget you have.

But seriously just replacing worn out parts with shiny fresh OEM ones always will give an improvement.

My black N/A brakes WAAAAAAAAAAY better then my Glanza at the moment, simply caus my N/A has fresh new OEM pads and discs, my Glanza is in desperate need of replacing the discs+pads...

IF you have the cash get uprated pads or braided lines, but i think just replacing the pads/discs will make all the difference you are looking for. If then later on you want more "pedal feel" you can always install a BMCS yourself. Thats the reason i would advice getting braided lins first as they can be replced easily when bleeding the system etc.

Good luck on your choice!

Dont full agree with the glanza rear axle being needed on a N/A, 15% or so of the braking is done by it.

I did on mine just to look good :harhar:

On topic though, have Black Diamond pads up front on mine and they do a good job, without being too pricey too

So for a very basic upgrade if I was to just put new OEM pads on and a BMCS and maybe braided lines would I see a big improvement over the old worn pads I've got now? And of course changing the brake fluid as the stuff that's in there now has probably been there for years...

I have been reading up on EBC pads though and the Yellowstuff ones seem really good, but I just don't have the money for them really.

Are BMCS really that good? Stupidly high cost for a simple piece of metal!

you have covered it all, the fluid is important, warn used fluid is no use and goes someway to explaining a spungy pedal - its propertys are not what they were,

get dot 5 in there along with the braded lines, uprated pads and bmc and your laughing.

the bmc really does help, this is the setup im running on both my starlets

you have covered it all, the fluid is important, warn used fluid is no use and goes someway to explaining a spungy pedal - its propertys are not what they were,

get dot 5 in there along with the braded lines, uprated pads and bmc and your laughing.

the bmc really does help, this is the setup im running on both my starlets

Geo have you uprated discs or stock? I'm interested in improving my braking power too :thumbsup:

I had braided lines and grooved discs and Greenstuff pads on my n/a and no complaints here :thumbsup:

Just put some decent fluid in aswell.

Dont get Mintex pads they are shit yellow stuff are meant to be good

Geo have you uprated discs or stock? I'm interested in improving my braking power too :thumbsup:

no i just go for quality oe items every time.

ive had 3g slotted, some jap slotted discs, dba slotteds aswell, in every case after about the second set of pads they start to crack

so just stick with quality oe discs, but if you have the cash feel free to get some slotted discs, they do to some effect stop the pad glazing.

i just dont see the point to be honest. its a wearable item

no i just go for quality oe items every time.

ive had 3g slotted, some jap slotted discs, dba slotteds aswell, in every case after about the second set of pads they start to crack

so just stick with quality oe discs, but if you have the cash feel free to get some slotted discs, they do to some effect stop the pad glazing.

i just dont see the point to be honest. its a wearable item

Cool, thanks mate! :thumbsup: