Track Day Car Setup

I'm possibly going to start doing track days next year so I want to know the score on it, what is required, etc...

Basically it's going to be a road/occasional track car on a budget.

Next year I'm hoping to have a GT modded to about 180bhp with just the basic bolt ons/plug & play ECU, aswell as some suspension mods and of course brakes.

I'm looking into what sort of parts I'd need and the costs involved, and what sort of compromise between road/track use I can get.

I've been looking at brakes and it's silly money for a big brake setup so would a grooved disc/yellowstuff pads/braided lines/BMCS combo be good enough for track use? I've also looked at using air duct pipe to feed cool air to the brakes to help cool them down (also seen on TGTT where Jay cut out a piece of plastic behind where the foglights are which let some air flow to the brakes through the fog holes).

Is that sufficient or is it going to be a case of atleast getting some ST185 brakes or Levin twin pots?

For suspension I'm not going to be able to afford some silly £1k coilovers so I'd probably stick to the uprated shocks/springs that I've got on my N/A seeing as I do alot of road driving aswell. Of course I'd have the other major mods like the rear anti roll bar.

Tyres are another important one, I'd possibly get another set of wheels with some R888's or maybe R1R's when they are released, if that fails I can always stick to the T1R's but I'm unsure how they'd cope with track driving although I do make good use of them on the road.

From experience of people who do trackdays how long does a decent set of tyres usually last if you're really thrashing it?

What about cooling? Is the standard radiator/cooling setup good enough?

Would I need to consider getting an oil cooler? (I'm guessing an oil cooler would be very beneficial to the turbo if it's constantly going at full whack).

How do 4EFTE's cope with track abuse? I'm not going to be running any silly power on it (would be sub-200 @ 1 bar). I don't want to be looking at any forged rebuilds as I highly doubt I'd be able to afford it.

And any other info anyone has on track days would be good to hear, I know it's a long time away yet but I'm getting bored of roads so I'm really looking into track days now.

Also does anyone know if you can get insurance or some sort of cover if you're doing them? Because most insurance policies state that they do not cover track use.

Not had any experience with track days in GT's but i have done a few in my lexus and my bro's old supra when he had it.

If you don't already have your own helmet then i would suggest buying one, most tracks will loan them out but its usually a good idea to have your own. Don't have to be a stupiddly expensive one but make sure it has all the correct standards.

I would also think about a small fire extinguisher unit, i have a small CO2 unit in my boot. More than likely i will never need it but if the worst case happens then it could mean the difference between your car going up in flames or salvaging it!

You will have fun in any car, and it doesn't have to be purpose built for track. I have loads of fun in my lexus and its not the quickest car out there, in fact its probably the slowest. Does have under chassis braces/coilovers/edfc/struts so does handle pretty dam well. I have mintex discs and pads and braided brake lines but no stupiddly expensive brake set up. Does me ok and never had any problems yet, touch wood.

There is also a saying that i have heard several hundred times before...... 'Add power and you are quicker in a straight line, remove weight and you are quicker in a straight line and on the bends'.

Hope this helps mate,

Jason :ph34r:

Dont forget an LSD, makes SUCH a difference its unreal!

I would look for a car with most the bases covered. All I had to do to mine was get it to stage one and uprate the brakes. Came equipped with coilovers, LSD and clutch and a few other bits.

Also a paddle clutch would be good aswell :ph34r:

A decdent bucket seat and harness makes the driving so much better aswell

Track days are so much fun, i love them and i can't even drive on them yet ;)

Most people have covered the basics really.

All i can tell you make sure you upgrade your brakes mate, they get so hot its unbelievable. Take the car out for a good 10 15 minutes then come in for a breather and let the car cool down a little :D

Me, my dad and brother have got a Golf GTI mk2, pretty nippy and loves the abuse. Its fitted with a bucket seat and standard passengers, roll cage, uprated brakes and racing steering wheel.

Its fun if a couple of you go, last time my cousin's and uncle came with us, they've got a Integra and thats all stripped out etc aswell. Great fun and a good laugh.

Well worth the moneys :) ;)

• 2 months later...

I'd go for safety stuff first, providing the car is in good condition mechanically..

Helmets you can pick up from motorbike stores for about £40, hand-held fire extinguishers for around £20..

Bucket seat, even if it's just a cheap one like a Cobra or Corbeau Clubman (sub-£100), and harnesses.. ive heard 5 points or better as with 4 points, in an impact you can slide up or down the seat easier..

If you're only planning on doing occasional track days then you're right in considering a second set of wheels / tyres..

Obviously slicks or cut-slicks will wear down quicker but they're definately worthwhile on the track and it's better than trashing your daily wheels and tyres....

After my experience from my last 2 trackdays.

I would say brakes and handling could do with uprating, i have been using standard disks with mintex pads standard brake lines and dot 4 brake fluid and i have noticed i can do about 15-20 minutes then i have no brakes left, so would have to be better fluid like a dot 5.1 braided brake lines and i have upgraded to st185 setup which i have yet to fit :D

Handling if you dont want coilovers some springs and adjustable shockers should be fine like gab, koni etc a few upper braces and lower braces and i noticed at the trackday on friday everyone had rear arb's and i didn't and noticed my backend was all over the place when i pushed it into corners and lost it a few times but never span.

I guess power is not everything on most tracks as if you can get the corner speeds good then you will alright as a saxo was proving at cadwell park on friday was running 110bhp but corner speeds were good.

Tyres i want to try out some r888s as im using paradas now but when they get warm they are really grippy i thought B)

Then theres power lol

Basic rules for a good ride on the track:

1.Good suspension set up: Coilovers ( lowering a car is not enough)

Anti roll bars,drop links

Strut braces,Rear + Front

2. Brakes : Bigger front brakes ( Preferably both Grooved and drilled discs) red stuff pads recommended.

3.Controlling power over weight: Power to weight ratio: Adjust the power to the weight of your car while cornering. In other words,learn to control the throttle on corners without losing the back end B)

4. Bucket seats to keep you steady and focused on your driving without worrying of being thrown from left to right.

5. Safety harnesses: i.e helmet,belts, fire extiguisher and a fuel cut set up in case of a crash.

6.Tyres made for the track !!! You dont want to be blowing tyres all over the track. It's not a drift circuit

Lol,thats all i can remember for the time being.

Have fun on the track also means be safe to other users, thus all these set ups i guess. :D

car doesnt have to be as prepared as most say for trackwork allthough it is prefered, this season i did 12 track sessions (15-25mins depending on venue)

i have standard brakes apart from uprated pads doing 1.2 bar on a td04 setup and standard suspension apart from tein springs and i have as much fun as anybody else out there however like everyone else has said SAFETY 1ST so fire extiguisher minimum, i have standard seats and standard 3 point shoulder belt

no matter how modified or prepared your car is work up to your limit and dont go out there trying to find your limit on lap 2

Wisest answer ^^^

You don't NEED uprated anything on the track at all, you're on track to have fun and explore your vehicles behaviour and your ability, you're not doing a time attack, trying to eke out every last millisecond. The only real necessity of a trackday is to ensure the vehicle is well serviced, and that's it - granted, brakes are known to suffer on track but as long as they're well maintained, the stockers will be fine - I've NEVER had fade on any trackday (even Lydden Hill which has some downhill braking points), and my car was considerably heavier than the Starlet at that point (same brakes) - and it may be wise to have a spare set of wheels/tyres to use on track as wear is greatly elevated, but you don't physically need any modification done to "Do" a trackday.

I've run 3 Full day trackdays in the Cynos (Silverstone, Goodwood and Lydden Hill - so, fast circuits), and one full day autotest/one full day Sprint (Curborough) in the Paseo, they were both bone-stock at that point (unless you count K&N Panel filters and Magnecor Spark Plug wires as "modifications"). By believing that modifications are a requirement you're just masking your ability to understand the vehicles behaviour by letting the car do the work - with a stock car you have a point of referrence, and you can eventually build from there, giving you a better understanding as to how components work and serve to improve your vehicle, rather than blindly modifying the car for Trackside "rrrrrrespect".

What COULD be considered essential though, is, having an instructor show you round the track and the correct lines - as much as you'd like to think you're Schumacher, you're not, you can pretend you know what you're doing, but unless an instructor shows you, again, your kidding yourself! Another top tip to improve your style, is to follow someone that is obviously experienced - follow their lines, note their braking/turn-in/acceleration points. Safety is also a very good point to raise, you are on a track, you will have an adrenaline rush, and first off remember, you're not in a race, maintain the correct track etiquette - if someone is faster, pull over to one side and let them pass, don't try to dive into corners and outbrake people or overtake on the outside of a corner. Also remember, if you're pulling interior out, make sure nothing in your vicinity is sharp, and there's no loose objects either. Helmets are usually required at the major circuits, and to be honest, you don't need a big bucks helmet; true, the higher quality ones are of a higher price, but the idea is you're not supposed to drive at idiotic speeds. A fire extinguisher is also a very wise purchase.

Eventually when you get accustomed to your own car, modify, feel the effects - I for example found one glaring downfall in my car....I was literally hanging on to the steering wheel for my life! Any of you Glanza drivers will know what I mean, the stock seats are terrible for support! Unfortunately, I haven't had the reliability or financial stability in order to systematically test out the various modifications so on that front i'm a bit of a hypocrite, but I've had lots of prior experience :lol:. Rememeber, you're not out there to prove anything to anyone, only to have fun, and learn to understand the car's behaviour, and your own. Use the experience available on track like instructors and more experienced drivers, and it'll only help you improve the experience

Riko - track day in the improved Cynos (when its done of course) is in order!

And Ste, basically track days are for running what you own, just to see how things go at high speeds - it saves it for the roads that way! Get on the track and rag the tits off of it. And modify how you feel comfortable. Simple.

I'd say to get the best starter car you can from the advice given above but then just do to it what you feel necessary.

I'd never do a track day without a fire extinguisher or helmet but thats just personal safety!

Just remember that you won't be challenging experienced trackday-ers straight away so dont try to! Ease yourself into it, find your feet and get experience, get your lines right for the track and THEN try to go faster by improving the car.

Most of all though - go out and have fun as thats what you have paid for! :lol:

Steve

Get a fire extinguisher a decent helmut etc

get the basic stage 1 mods, cooling ignition nothing drastical, remove the air con and fully strip out the back and get out on a track and go for it

you dont need to fully "Track Prep" it straight away

get the driving expirience enjoy yourself and learn the ropes. then slowly start building the car from there

you dont need a fully forged 400 bhp starlet with all the upgrades to have a good time.

start at the bottom and work your way up dude

Hmmm, so by the advice of everyone, I am figuring out that you can have fun in any standard car ! I never saw myself running a standard car on the track so far. It might be just me but I hate having to work out understeer and oversteer while trying to beat my own time on every lap. My ways of seeing a track is to get your wheels on it and show it how you own this place :lol:)) I have fun when I know I'm putting good times in every lap without the risk of getting off the track or brakes gone!

If you are here to learn the tracks, then try driving experiences instead that they offer where you'll get a feel of how your car should behave. Don't go there standard to end up damaging your ride. It you want to be on the track, you need a track weapon. Know wat I mean.

Ofcourse you can have fun in a standard car, you're looking into the "Track car stereotype" aspect a bit too seriously - ofcourse if people want to improve their vehicle characteristics and longevity on track then modifications are a requisite, but if you reckon their a necessity to get on track, you're only pretending to yourself that you know what you're doing in that scenario - trackdays aren't as taxing as people believe them to be on their cars for timing and proving yourself to the world, infact, timing is illegal at most trackdays. Want to prove yourself? Join a time-attack series.

You've also got a very eschewed view of what driving on a track entails, or fast at all - the car doesn't drive itself around the track, you drive it, ofcourse you need to learn how to drive on track and how to handle your car, hope you weren't serious with that quote. And, whilst under/oversteer are a bother to ultimate cornering speeds, ummm, I'm sorry but bolting on parts in vain isn't going to stop it - you're being very naive if you believe it will, you have to learn how to quell those behaviours. In extremis every car is going to under and over steer, you'll just alter the thresholds, you have to learn how to drive within those thresholds, as your car is is not going to pull out the times on its own accord. If that were the case, sign me up for a Multi-million £ contract with F1...

I don't mean any insult Idrees, but you have an extremely limited and estranged view of what achieving a consistently fast vehicle requires - obviously people are to do and prove as they wish but don't kid yourselves into thinking that sticky tyres, roll cages and a big turbo will make your car fast on track, just because it looks cool doesn't mean it will perform - if you haven't a clue what you're doing with the car, and on track, its all in vain...

I'm signing on time attack next season. So project starting this winter and asap. I will stick with my rules on how to make it good for the track. But will definitely change engine. 4AGE :() Watch out in the ep91 n/a build section lads. Another death machine coming your way:)

It might be just me but I hate having to work out understeer and oversteer while trying to beat my own time on every lap.

If you are here to learn the tracks, then try driving experiences instead that they offer where you'll get a feel of how your car should behave

Good luck with the slightly ignorant comments like the above...you're not going to improve any track times if you think just chucking a load of parts at the car and driving like a loon will get you good lap times. :(:p

Also, my mistake, I thought you were Idrees somehow with the avatar :D

• 4 months later...

I think the guys above mentioned most of what you need to cover...

Safety first extinguisher and helmet...

Depending on how serious you're taking it...if just for the fun of things ... make sure you have a proper working seatbelt if you don't have the harness...seat properly fitted...a driver needs to be comfortable while taking these turns at high speed....

for fun a decent set of suspensions with drop springs would do the trick...if you're serious then you have to get some adjustable sets...teins or d2's etc...

One thing you do need to have whether it's for fun or circut....good gauges...

Make sure u atleast have a lead meter and boost gauge...u might be pushing your car with decent boost... make sure u have enough fuel to compensate for boost...U don't want to be discouraged from your first few sessions due to detonation....

That's some of what I can think of at the moment..but it canges alot based on how serious you're going to pursue this..

I think the guys above mentioned most of what you need to cover...

Safety first extinguisher and helmet...

Depending on how serious you're taking it...if just for the fun of things ... make sure you have a proper working seatbelt if you don't have the harness...seat properly fitted...a driver needs to be comfortable while taking these turns at high speed....

for fun a decent set of suspensions with drop springs would do the trick...if you're serious then you have to get some adjustable sets...teins or d2's etc...

One thing you do need to have whether it's for fun or circut....good gauges...

Make sure u atleast have a lead meter and boost gauge...u might be pushing your car with decent boost... make sure u have enough fuel to compensate for boost...U don't want to be discouraged from your first few sessions due to detonation....

That's some of what I can think of at the moment..but it canges alot based on how serious you're going to pursue this..