ok, im really confused about this... in theory it is possable to strap a ct9 to a 4efe with just the basics, no boost controller, no bov, just the glanza/gt manifold,ct9 and dump pipe rigged up to the exhaust with some simple pipework to a front mounted 4efte tmic and either a glanza ecu if it'd work or a microtech aftermarket jobbie... this is do able so i have been told for simple turbo fun.

but i heard rumors that the glanza/gt manifold wont fit to the 4e block? is this true?

does anyone else have any ideas about a cheaper turbo 4efe setup?

Rich.

i canot understad why the glanza/gt manafold would not mate to the block..

the blocks are the same...

to complete the conversion and for ease aswell it would be wise to source an fte intake manifold ontop of some gt turbo injectors...

the stadard one is no efficient atall for airflow due to the long thin runners.

a fte sump would also make it easy as you would not need to drill a hole in your origenal sump for the oil return.

using the stock bov would save more money

there would be an eliment of rewiring involved for the glanza ecu for different sensors so a microtech makes sense as it just plugs into where the old ecu was plus you have all that adjustability of a reprogramable ecu.

the only drawback is mapping but if you knew what to look for its not that hard

has anyone else heard about the manifold not fitting?

the most expensive part would definatly be the microtech but all the rest should be peanuts to source...

and the car would definatly be more drivable off boost due to the higher compersion meaning there should be heaps more torque lower downn the revrange...

and the car would definatly be more drivable off boost due to the higher compersion meaning there should be heaps more torque lower downn the revrange...

this is exactly why im thinking this way at the mo, ive heard the ct9 spools up quite quickly, so it'd be the perfect package for someone just after a bit more poke from the 4efe, i think this would be do able for about £900 max which is peanuts when your talking about turboing a car, considering you'll probably be getting about 120bhp at least i would have thought.

Rich.

yea totaly. im thinking you might get even more power due to the microtech..thats basicaly the bulk of the purchase at around 500beans

your torque curve would be as flat as the equater too!

do you think you would need an oil filter relocater aswell to clear the manifold?

The 4EFE internals and gearbox cannot sustain the power upgrade.

i also used think this, but from what ive heard the reliablity depends on the tune.

dale (braidedlines.com) from the austarletclub runs a td04l turbo setup on his totally standard internals 4efe and runs 20psi every day and has had no problems (at 204bhp) with its normal compression. he uses a microtech aftermarket ecu.

Rich.

Bare in mind this relates to aus law but you can get an idea of what is involved. Im selling everything needed for an engine swap including ready ecu/loom if anyone is interested.

So you want to turbo your starlet?

Good on you

This thread is a general guide to what needs to be done, what you can cut corners, and how much you can expect to pay.

It's very easy to see the "$1300" price tag for the basic turbo kit and assume that's all you are going to have to spend. Unfortunately this is not the case.

You have 2 options.

1: 4efte transplant from ep82 GT or glanza V

2: 4efet (turbo your 4efe stocko engine)

Option 1 should give you 100kW at the fly

Option 2 should give you appx 135kW at the fly

First of all, differences / similarities between the turbo import engine and the stocko Aus engine:

Block is the same

Crank is the same

Cams are very similar, 1mm difference

Connecting rods almost if not identical

Fuel pump identical

No extra oil squirters

Compression ratio from 9.6 - 8.2 (Pistons slightly larger to make this)

4efte gearbox stronger

4efte clutch slightly stronger

4efte oil sump has oil return from turbo

4efte drive shafts thicker

4efte supsension slightly different

That being said, there are 4efe's that have been turbo charged and been running powerfully happy at 15psi for many km's

OPTION 1

Positives with transplant:

Bolt in fit

Fairly cheap

Should get some funky white Glanza V dials

Should be able to sell some parts for money if not needed

Should only be one - two days labour to drop everything

Goes fast

Negatives with transplant:

The engine could be in bad condition, it has happened in the past

Water pump / timing belt / fuel / oil filters / oil should be replaced

Transport of the half cut

Needs EPA tests and engineering to register

Expected Costs:

Half cuts range from $1500-$3500

$500 exhaust (cat, catback, muffler, fitting)

$40 Oil

$80 Spark plugs (good ones)

$80 Fuel Filter

$7 Oil Filter

$65 Timing belt

$150 Water pump

$1000 labour (maybe cheaper if import is GlanzaV)

Free: EPA test

$120-$500 Engineers Certificate

Overall budget of transplant:

DIY: $3500-$4500

Pro: $4500-$5500

OPTION 2

Positives:

Will go crazy fast, much more power than stock CT9 4efte engine

Engine no. remains the same (no engineers cert / EPA test required)

Some items upgraded would have to be upgraded in transplant engine if more power was desired anyhow (such as intercooler, clutch etc)

Kit available with much success

Running higher compression will give better off boost performance

Negatives:

Cost

Gearbox has to be treated with more respect

Brakes aren't as great as import half cut

Many things are required to happen to do this upgrade

Expected Costs:

$300 2nd hand turbo

$3160 Comprehensive turbo kit (including ecu, manifold, lines, air filter, fuel regulator)

$1100 Turbo back exhaust (including dump, flex, cat, muffler, fitting)

$1275 Water / air intercooler (including piping, hoses, clamps etc)

$430 New clutch to hold the power

$300 Tune

$40 Turbo happy oil

$150 Injectors (such as 4agze)

Pro Installation:

$650 remove / install old / new turbo setup

$150 install water / air cooler

$250 clutch

Overall budget of 4efet

DIY: $6750

Pro: $7750

What corners you can cut:

Load preset on ECU by Dale, -$300 tune

Cheap 2nd hand intercooler + mild steel piping, -$600

Use stock clutch (will slip after 6psi), -$430

Cheapest budget cutting corners DIY: $5450

The difference in price is quite substantial, but so is the power output

After the conversion / turbo:

Further upgrades you can look at:

Even larger injectors

Fuel pump

Boost controllers

Limited slip differential

Engine internals

More engineers cert's

does it end?

choose wisely and enjoy

Just so you know, running 20psi on a standard 4EFE is not safe. The internals were not built for it and its only a matter of time before it breaks. Also i do not believe he drives it day in and day out at 20psi as he has mentioned, i think he told a little fib about that as he clearly stated that the fuel started breaking at around 17psi. Go figure. Also take not of what you want the car for, would you rather high HP or have better midrange and bottom end?

I am in no means saying that it cant make 200hp, cause it obviously can, but you have to look at the reliability and of the car which to me, and im sure alot more other people is a priority.

Regards,

Ivan

you have to look at the reliability and of the car which to me, and im sure alot more other people is a priority

:) agreed

i would like to have much better midrange and top end power.

insurance is a fuckin joke over here though.

Rich.

• 2 months later...
Just so you know, running 20psi on a standard 4EFE is not safe. The internals were not built for it and its only a matter of time before it breaks. Also i do not believe he drives it day in and day out at 20psi as he has mentioned, i think he told a little fib about that as he clearly stated that the fuel started breaking at around 17psi. Go figure. Also take not of what you want the car for, would you rather high HP or have better midrange and bottom end?

I am in no means saying that it cant make 200hp, cause it obviously can, but you have to look at the reliability and of the car which to me, and im sure alot more other people is a priority.

Regards,

Ivan

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hahahah once again ivan talks things he knows nothing about!! LOL

you wouldnt know what boost my car ran ivan, hell you have never been it, never seen under the bonnet of it, never seen it on the road... and you were there when it made over 200hp at the tyres on the dyno day....

there are a few people in the au starlet club that have seen the peak hold on the eboost at 22psi

reliable?? hell yeh, the car has done over 70,000km turboed, the engine has 170,000km on it, the new owner drives it harder than what i did,

did it ever break anything in the engine?? NO IT DIDNT, lots of other people have broken there cars and as i have said in the past it is all in the tune.

when YOU actaully start making things and not talking about them some people might have some respect for you, until then you can keep talking how your gunna do this and gunna do that with no proven results, we actually made everything and tested it before we even talked about it....

its quite funny actually as one of my customers actually sent me this link and told me to check it out..

Dale

I would love to tell all the little stories your aquaintences and friends have told me about you and your car but im sure no-one is actully that interested.

The fact still stands that the 4efe engine and driveline are not suited for turbocharging as it is weaker! i have both engines apart and i can show you what hte differences are! if you want a nasty supprise costing you a couple of grand down the track, by all means, go for it!

As for my products, i will personally notify you when they have been released officially considering you seem to be oh so interested.

ivan