Can You Fit A Celica Or Mr2 Gearbox On Starlets?

hi ya guys have a bit of a problem:

i have a gear box that is odd???(with lsd,i know its optional lol)

im tryin to fit trd enigne mounts and it wont fit the bottom bracket?????help pls!!!

could this be because it has a a celica or mr2 gear box i know its wishfull thinking!!!lol

i just dont know how it can be so different i had to do my cv joints few years ago and cod not get any parts to fit had them sent from toyota and they did not even fit tryed 12 parts in all then ended up getting them sent away and reconditioned!

anyone have any ideas please?

my car is nearly back on the road after a rebuild so i want the trd mounts really badly!

thx alot emmer

will try get some pics next week if i can figure out how to do it

UPDATE: ITS AN EP82

Rear mount Is different on them so you'll have to keep the standard rear mount..

Re cvs outers are defo the same as normal GT/V ones.. And only the drivers side shaft is different, not both Gary :thumbsup:

I believe the MK1 MR2 gearbox will fit a starlet engine or so i have been told. However i doubt very much that it will be the MR2 box as there a few differences between that and the starlet one. The BIG difference is that the MR2 box is designed for a rear engined car so the gear linkage system is on the other side of the box. Meaning that the gear linkage would be all custom made.

Im currently looking at changing my gearbox to the MR2 version as im building a rear engined kitcar with the 4EFTE engine.

As for the Celica box im not too sure?

Jason :thumbsup:

hmm

mid engined rear wheel drive starlet anyone? :thumbsup:

thx guys being dumb about mr2 lol

will it be worth fitting the side mounts as will not give same effect as all 3 mounts!?

both the driveshafts did not fit either side so cant be an non-turbo box? is that right?

EDITED: sorry i was wrong lol passenger side fitted

You may aswell fit the side ones.. And then get a custom polybush for the rear one..

You won't have a non turbo gearbox as you have an LSD one, which is an option for the turbo models..

In what way didn't the shafts fit ? To long/short ? Wouldn't fit in the hub etc..?!?

You may aswell fit the side ones.. And then get a custom polybush for the rear one..

You won't have a non turbo gearbox as you have an LSD one, which is an option for the turbo models..

In what way didn't the shafts fit ? To long/short ? Wouldn't fit in the hub etc..?!?

They were fitted on n/a's as well, like on my Cynos...ok, not a Starlet, but still, same gearbox

Na starlets Aswell?

Ah you've just edited.. Yea I was just talking about ep's.. I had no idea whether cynos' came with them or not..

sorry wats cynos?

i just found out that the passenger driveshaft fitted. drivers was too short, the splines were the same though so im thinkin it is non-turbo box now! is there any benefit? mechanic says mayb diff gear ratio so will be quicker in lower gears?

i was talking to a company yest and apparently there are two types or rear gear box mount ali (cant spell it in full hope ya know wat i mean!) and metal. i got the ali one! any one know if i can get a trd one?

sorry wats cynos?

i just found out that the passenger driveshaft fitted. drivers was too short, the splines were the same though so im thinkin it is non-turbo box now! is there any benefit? mechanic says mayb diff gear ratio so will be quicker in lower gears?

your confusing me now lol <_<

If you drivers side shaft was too short to fit your box at the min, that would mean you have LSD shafts and a NON LSD box :S

i was talking to a company yest and apparently there are two types or rear gear box mount ali (cant spell it in full hope ya know wat i mean!) and metal. i got the ali one! any one know if i can get a trd one?

TRD rear gearbox mount only fits non lsd boxs, trd dont make one that fits the optional lsd box. you can use the other two from the set though. as they fit whether you have an optional lsd box or not.

• 11 years later...
15 minutes ago, Frankieflowers said:

Any info in 2020 about adapting a rear differential on a 4efte?

I guess you mean gearbox and not just a differential .

There is ongoing research on the topic of fitting certain gearboxes on the 4efte here(any new finding will be published there once validated and tested):