Starlet Nath's Glanza Conversion

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cage as in the roll cage? I bought it from Envy Performance.

However that's gone now to make way for a weld in jobbie :rolleyes:

Ahhhhh good man!

Your a life saver!

Well I spent a little while during today making a bracket to hold the flywheel in place so I could remove it

Progressupdate020309001.jpg

Progressupdate020309002.jpg

So I thought I would attempt taking off the flywheel tonight which I have acheived

Progressupdate020309003.jpg

Progressupdate020309004.jpg

I was also going to fit the engine to the stand, however I didn't realise that 2 out of the 4 holes were blind so I will require the correct bolts. I guessed the bolts were M12 fine however we didn't have any at work, but I got M10 thinking they were through holes on the engine. When I came to do it the I would have only been able to fit 2 bolts which wasn't suitable :rolleyes:

Just so I get the correct ones, what thread & length bolts do I require to fit my engine to the engine stand?

Tonights update

Well got fed up of trying to source some M12 Fine bolts long enough to use with my engine stand

So....

I decided to modify the arms to make it fit with what I have :)

Progress050309001.jpg

Progress050309002.jpg

Progress050309003.jpg

Then I finally mounted my engine on the stand

Progress050309004.jpg

Progress050309005.jpg

Progress050309006.jpg

Progress050309007.jpg

Cranked it round to TDC in preparation of stripping down to remove the head, will do some more tomorrow :)

Friday nights update

Well I had about 20-30 minutes on the engine tonight, I had chance to remove the fuel rail and all the injectors, then I removed the intake manifold & finally the alternator.

Progress060309001.jpg

Progress060309002.jpg

I'm about ready to start stripping the cam belt etc off, however I have not removed the auxilliary pulley off the end of the crank. Do I need to put the flywheel back on and hold it in place to remove the pulley?

Doh... Wish I'd thought of that before I jumped in feet first!!

Tuesday night update

Well we've finally sold the Punto, so on the look out for a cheap run around :p

After realising my mistake the other day I spent this evening taking the engine back off the stand, refitting the flywheel and my flywheel retaining tool. Then I undid the retaining bolt for the crankshaft pulley, then slowly removed the pulley with my puller hoping not to break it. But taking it steady I got it off without damaging it, so the next stage will be to remove the timing belt and cams then the head :p

But that's it for another days.....

Here is todays picture

Progress100309.jpg

Nice updates,

This project is really flying now.

Really enjoy reading it,

Bushes look nice, was thinking of gettin myself some, what do you think of them?

Thanks

Gary

Well they certainly look nice, but I'll tell you once I start installing them :D

Saturdays progress

Well I finally got round to taking the head off

Progressupdate210309001.jpg

Progressupdate210309002.jpg

Well after removing the head I took out the pistons, I was really pleased to see there is no wear in the bores :rolleyes: Which points to it being low mileage like I thought it was :p

Progressupdate210309003.jpg

Progressupdate210309004.jpg

Progressupdate210309005.jpg

The old pistons are bagged up if anyone is interested?

Progressupdate210309006.jpg

I am however having trouble with getting the crankshaft sprocket :thumbsup: My bearing puller is too big to get round the sprocket, anyone give me some advice?

• 3 months later...

Not updated for a while due to the fact work has come to a halt on the car. This was due to work commitments :)

Anyway I got chance to roll it out the garage the other week, so took a few pictures

Nice new arse

Newbootlid.jpg

Interior stripped ready for seat rails to be welded in

driverinterior.jpg

passengerinterior.jpg

But my day has been made today as this little box arrived :p

98speclooms.jpg

For those who haven't sussed it out yet, it a box full of 98 spec goodness B)^_^

I've finally got the roof and floor looms to mate up with my 98 spec front cut, but best of all I have another 98 spec dash loom :p

• 5 weeks later...

Well I know some of you are going to be very disappointed but I am calling it a day with my project. I do love my Starlet and would love to make it the wicked track car I had in mind but enough is enough.

I've had 10 years of great ownership of my little starlet, admittedly its been off the road 4 and a half years of those years. But it has given me chance to meet lots of you lovely people especially my friends on UKSC.

Anyway I am now selling all the parts I have been accumulating over the last 5 years. Most of the parts I have are brand new, with few second hand ones for the rare special items. Anyway if you are interested in what parts I have to offer please have a look in the for sale section where they will be up for sale shortly.

Cheers

Nath :o

as discussed on the phone, if u feel thats it right for you then i support your decision fully mate and i look forward to seeing whatever project you turn your hand to next!

also - SARD magnetic sump plug, i'll have that dude (dunno what else u'll have for sale but i'll take that before anyone else calls it).

Phil.