Starlet Nath's Glanza Conversion

Hello peeps,

Well as many of you know I've had my little SR for 7 years and for quite a few of them I was wanting to convert it to a 4EFTE.

Well my project is well under way, I got my 98 spec Glanza front cut in March 2005 from our friend Swayal or J-Directorate admittedly minus a few parts it had on when I agreed to buy it but hey ho!!!!

Since then and before I have been collecting many performance parts to reach my goal(which is in my head, like most things!!!)

So the story so far is, my starlet has been SORN'd off the road since February 2005 and stood for quite a while doing nothing. Until I'd got the few jobs done I was told I had to do(for the boss!!).

Then early this year I started to strip half heartedly a bit here and a bit there until about June. During June we had a BBQ at our house and one of my mates and my Father in-law started ripping it out of me about my car. As most of you who love & take pride in your cars can imagine I wasn't best pleased with this so I thought "huh I'll show you" SO.........

I finished off uninstalling my Clifford Concept 500 with the help of the wiring diagram, making lots of notes and labelling everything up so I can put it back on when I've got the Glanza's dash in!!!

I then disconnected all the connectors from the dash loom to under bonnet etc and then removed the dash.

I then stripped off all the bits and pieces off the engine that would prevent me from dropping it out inc removing the under bonnet loom for the lights which included the fusebox. Also drained and removed the power fluid reservoir as once all the engine is removed the bay will be totally stripped for respray!!!

Finally I unbolted and pulled out the drive shafts from the hubs ready for dropping down my 4efe which hopefully will be this weekend!!!

The only real problems I have had is with all my bolts as they have had 8 years of uk roads abuse eg the dreaded salt. Because they are rusted like they are it takes a while to get them out, but at long as you take your time going in & out in small amounts with plenty of easing oil they come out ok. Rush it and they just snap off!!!

Anyway I have rabbited on enough now, here are a few pics

NathsSRfrontbumper.jpg

Picture009.jpg

Picture012.jpg

Picture019.jpg

Picture018.jpg

Picture025.jpg

Picture042.jpg

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Nath, was good to meet you at JAE. Yeah seen your car on TOC stand before long time ago at one car show with the white rear bumper.

Was a mad looking car, and it's been years now, and your car is still not on the road.

Like i said, you might've just got a turbo starlet in the first place :o but you didn't wanna. hehe.

Good luck with it though, hope to see you and your car attend some meets soon.

:)

sound as nath, ive been waiting years to see where this cars at, when do you think it will be running then mate?

that front cut looks pretty clean

how are you getting about the now for transport?

looking forward to seeing more mate!

ive wanted to see your car for years... initially saw i on toc (as shelly said) with the white rear bumper and smoothed boot.

will we see it at jae next year maybe?

all the best bud.

Rich.

Hey Nath, was good to meet you at JAE. Yeah seen your car on TOC stand before long time ago at one car show with the white rear bumper.

Was a mad looking car, and it's been years now, and your car is still not on the road.

Like i said, you might've just got a turbo starlet in the first place :o but you didn't wanna. hehe.

Good luck with it though, hope to see you and your car attend some meets soon.

:)

:o CHEEKY!! :o

sound as nath, ive been waiting years to see where this cars at, when do you think it will be running then mate?

that front cut looks pretty clean

how are you getting about the now for transport?

Hello Geo

Well I'm hoping I'll be fully stripped out and repairs done to bodywork and ready to be painted by the end of this year.

Which will leave me about 6 months to get it built up run in and mapped for JAE 2007 :)

As for getting about we've got an old run around Rover 200 for work and a brand new Grande Punto Sporting for best :o

that puntos nice like, theyre brandnew almost so it must handle well,

Yeah its fun to drive, we've had it about 2 months now. Came to JAE in it, but it stayed in the car park!!! Didn't think they'd let me in to park on UKSC stand :o

Its even got an IPOD adapter so I can play all my CD collection witout taking it with me :o

At the minute its our new toy til I get my Starlet finished :)

Hey Nath :o

You have everything well thought out and done a lot of preparation yourself mate!

I would love a front cut myself :)

Looks like a really amazing project mate!

Taking its time, but you know its gonna be done right :o

Look forward to seeing more progress soon!

Peace Out

Joz

Had your car for seven years :o

Looks like its coming along now mate :o

Just a quick question as your front end is naked. You know the top Slam panel where the headlights fit? Is it welded to the bottom part as i need to change it and was wondering if i could just change the top part or would i need the bottom part aswell?

Keep up the good work mate :)

Sparky

Well today was the day that Starletsy and myself removed my 4EFE

Now I have been removing bits here and there for ages so the engine was just ready to come out.

Firstly we took the weight of the engine with the engine crane using the hook lifting point to right hand rear and the power steering pump bracket. The reason we used this was because there didn't seem to be another lifting point!!!

I then took out the bolt out of the rear lower engine mount and at this point the engine rolled forward.

So we decided we would change our lifting points, we kept the one on the power steering pump bracket and hooked the other end round the rear mount bracketry.

Then all we had to do was remove the bolt for the left side engine mount and the right side gearbox/engine mount.

We then just lowered it down with a bit of jiggery pokery :)

Once on the ground we lifted up the front of my car with the engine crane, put the front wheels back on and then pushed it back over the engine and then lowered it back down.

I have to say a very public big thank again to Simon for coming round with engine crane and helping me drop it out!!!! Thanks matey :o Your a star as always :o

Don't forget to ring me when your ready for a hand

Oh yeah an Si brought me round some more toys, but can't say too much but you'll just have to wait and see :o

Anyway here's some more pictures for you all

EngineRemoval001.jpg

And Starletsy didn't even smile for the camera :p

EngineRemoval002.jpg

EngineRemoval003.jpg

EngineRemoval004.jpg

EngineRemoval005.jpg

EngineRemoval006.jpg

EngineRemoval007.jpg

EngineRemoval008.jpg

EngineRemoval009.jpg

EngineRemoval010.jpg

EngineRemoval011.jpg

EngineRemoval012.jpg

EngineRemoval015.jpg

EngineRemoval016.jpg

Keep up the good work Nath dude, was good to meet you at JAE, lookin forward to your progress.

Phil.

Cheers Dude :D

Hope to be going to paint shop before the end of the year

Just a quick update

Not really done a great deal over the last week!!!

But I did take the heater assembly out, my heater matrix showed signs of leaking as there was alot of pink furry stuff round where the inlet and outlet pipes join the heater matrix. Don't you just love for life coolant :D

The plan over the next few weeks is to remove the fuel tank and pipe lines do the few bits of cleaning up underneath after the 8 years of salty UK roads its had. Then a good coating a paint under there hopefully from there take it to my mates bodyshop. From this point it will be quite drastic!!!

Remove all windows, remove all outer paint(on top) and a nice bare metal respray :D

But I've got to get there yet :p

Lol HOK Nath? :p

Surely you can give us a better clue than that? :D?

Any further developments mate?

Peace Out

Joz

You don't know what HOK means? :D

NOPE I'm not giving owt away :D

Not got anything done today because of the rain

Tomorrow I'm helping Starletsy take out the dash out of his glanza, so I won't get owt done tomorrow!!!

But my next step is to drain and remove the petrol tank.

• 2 months later...

Just thought I'd give a quick update :lol:

rear quarter windows removed, got half way round cutting the rear screen out.

As some may have noticed I'm going for Polycarbonate windows to reduce weight. So I need mine out for the company to make moulded from!!!!

Quite a bit of dynamat to remove from when I used to compete in IASCA UK competitions :D

rest of the plastics etc to remove, make to the shell totally bare and then its off for acid dipping I think :blink: