Starlet Nath's Glanza Conversion

nice!! are you gona seam weld the chassis or blank out the spare wheel well?

Yes matey gonna be seam welding it up so it should be rock solid when I've finished :blink:

Acid dippin?? Holy crap your goin pure balls out!!! Its like a big american muscle/vintage car restoration project!! I love it!!! Can we get before and after pics of the acid dippin please Nath mate??

Phil.

Well I have spoken to alot of people about my project and for the time or someone else would spend removing paint, filler and sound deadening and sorting out the rust I may as well got it acid dipped. Not as exspensive as you might think.

The website is Surface processing

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how much is it gna cost then?

What for acid dipping? £675

Then they etch primer it for another £400 ouch :blink:

But once this is done I'm starting with a rust free shell, a few mods to do and some seam welding then it'll be off for paint.

• 3 months later...

Just thought I'd give a quick update :)

Haven't worked on the car in ages, but I had the day off work on Wednesday so I took the opportunity to work on my car(after a little DIY in the bedroom)

Took off

The Rear Brake lines and fuel lines that go to the rear

The Anti Roll Bar

My last wiring loom which was the one that runs along the floor on the drivers side to the rear

All the rubber bungs in the floor pan etc

Set about taking off my Dynamat

Picked up this today from my Mum & Dad's, a big thanks to Kevin at Envy Performance :p

For those of you who are not sure what it is, its a 6 point Cusco Safety 21 Roll cage. I also have the extra cross bar to make it 7 point :p

All I need to finish of my handling package that I'm putting together is the Whiteline parts off Toby. Well apart from a little poly bush set I've got to buy, but thats nothing :p

Anyway all that is left to do before it goes for acid dipping is:

Finish removing dynamat (At least the silver bit)

Remove doors

Remove bootlid

Remove my new V bonnet(thanks Wendyson) and reverse scoop

Remove the heat sheilds for the exhaust

Remove the hand brake cables

Remove the rear beam and temporary coilovers

Remove Control arms

Finally smash out the windscreen!!!

And for those who doubt my committment to the Extreme EP cause: In November I got on a ferry to Holland just to go and pick up my new V bonnet :)

Will it be ready for this year's JAE? nice progress coming along Nath :p

I wish hope and pray that it will be!!

But as always it all depends on money :lol:

Still got to get hold of Baz to find out about paint, because he very kindly said he would paint it for me. Just mean a nice trip upto Ayr :p

Hopefully acid dipping by the end of the month :)

WOW cages looks awsome!!! As Phil said same as im thinking of getting just a different colour and material :lol:

Did you get that from Toby and how much and how long did it take to arrive?

Im after a V bonnet too wouldnt go to Holland to get one though :lol::):p

Nice little update mate keep it up :p

Was hoping to get in and possibly assemble the cage in the car tonight as the boss is staying out for the evening.

But unfortunately I'm still at work and will be til 8pm :p

That was one thing I missed off my list, need to trail assemble the cage a drill the mounting holes before it goes for dipping :)

Awesome cage, how much did it rob ya?

Whats acid dipping? Getting every little cm on paint of then giving it a full respray after priming it etc? What colour you going for?

AND PLEASE PLEASE don't smash the windscreen if its in good nick, remove it for me and i'll pick it up off ya, i need one and really tight on cash (Being the youngster i am!)

PS. Any word on that pipe for me?

Awesome cage, how much did it rob ya?

Whats acid dipping? Getting every little cm on paint of then giving it a full respray after priming it etc? What colour you going for?

AND PLEASE PLEASE don't smash the windscreen if its in good nick, remove it for me and i'll pick it up off ya, i need one and really tight on cash (Being the youngster i am!)

PS. Any word on that pipe for me?

Acid dipping is where they get the shell(and other parts if your require) and put in a vat of acid which strips all the paint, filler, seam sealer, sound deadening off and it will kill any rust.

Then they etch prime it.

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of a delay on finishing the car.

The boss lady has seen a house she likes so were selling up and moving. It's in the same village though so not far to move the car ;)

But it does mean I'll have a lovely double garage to build it up in :rolleyes:

Double garage? AWESOME!

So can I have your windscreen? :p

Its not really easy to get it out, I will try and get it out in once piece but I cannot promise. But my brother in-law(who works for Merc) says that windscreens that have been used before when refitted never really seal properly!!

So I'll be getting a new one from Toyota, which admittedly is £123 +vat but I'm sure it will be worth it ;)

If it was on the road and insured I get one for £50 through my insurance, but hey ho :rolleyes: