Does Anyone Use Any Particular Products For Red Paint?

Red paint seems to fade alot compared to some other colours and I've just bought a red CRX.

Are there any "colour specific" products or do I just stick to the same stuff as before?

It's fairly shiney at the moment, I want to keep it that way. :(

Honda's are known for having soft paint, so if it's fading you'd have to be careful if you were to machine polish it..

Your best bet is to give it a hand polish with something like Autoglym Super Resin and see how it comes up..

If that does the trick then get it waxed up and keep on top of it :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

my mums grande punto is bright red and i do all the polishing, i used to use autoglym srp almost everyother month when it was new because mum hated the idea of it fading, waxes then went down to the recommended 3 monthly.

I then got recommended meguires gold class liquid polish (leaves residue all over the fiats paintwork but suits my starlet down to the ground :) )

my mums car is going to turn 2 years old next week and still shines like the day it left the showroom,

and i can tell it is the wax as we took the car for its service the other week and pulled it inbetween a 2010 just deliverd punto and another punto the same age (reg was only one chareter different :) ) and mums was the shineyest there about as glossy as the 10plate one and the other 08 one was faded and looked much more pink, when the owner came out to it as we were getting out of ours she was horrified and said 'i thought that i had looked after my baby'.

so.

so just keep polishing, if possible get an autoglym lifeshine treatment or suppaguard treatment done, they are about 150-300 quid at most garages, some think them to be a waste of money but on any red car or good condition old car anything helps :p

i think the main problem with reds (or indeed any other 'solid') colour is that they aren't lacquered. all metallic colours need the lacquer to give a gloss finish but solid colours dry gloss without lacquer. however the lacquer does give a degree of uv protection and can reduce fading on the car.

best thing to do is keep the car clean and polished wax to give back the uv protection. use a colour restorer first to bring the paint back up to its original gloss level and just ensure you keep it waxed.

any of the products mentioned above would do the job, obvioulsy it depends on your budget as to which you will go for.

reds will always fade over time unfortunatly red is the only paint which is coloured with and oxide there or will fade over time!!

To prevent is as much as possible use a decent wax/sealent some thing like a collinite if thats how you spell it continual polishing will wear the lacquer thinner and thinner so polish to get a good finish then apply wax and regualary top up the protection only polish when needed!!

Also AG SRP also contains more filers than deminishing abrhasive!! so there fills rather than refines!!!

HTH

rob