Fuel Filter Change

Hey everyone,

Well I gave my car an oil change today and decided to change the fuel filter while I'm at it. Got the strut brace and inlet pipe off to give me a bit more room to remove the old one, but the bolts won't budge!

Do you have to depressurise the fuel system or something? I don't wanna put too much force on the bolt in case it breaks..Is there a special way to get it off or something? (I'm talking about the top bolt that leads to the fuel rail)

Thanks

Amjad

Hey everyone,

Well I gave my car an oil change today and decided to change the fuel filter while I'm at it. Got the strut brace and inlet pipe off to give me a bit more room to remove the old one, but the bolts won't budge!

Do you have to depressurise the fuel system or something? I don't wanna put too much force on the bolt in case it breaks..Is there a special way to get it off or something? (I'm talking about the top bolt that leads to the fuel rail)

Thanks

Amjad

If you think the top bolt it hard then stop now. lol that came off easy its the bottom ones thats a bitch and if you try too hard you can bend the fuel lines. But thats not a problem as you can cut it and run a fuel hose afterwards.

dont give up, 

nah mate you dont need to depress anything, its just a very tight bolt.

i remember when i done mine, it was hard to get off. you need to use a decent size spanner so you can put some force in.

its a bitch when you put on again as well, you think you tightened it enough but when you turn ignition on, start pissing fuel. so you have to keep nipping it up. :)

if you cant get it off dont risk rounding it off, im sure your local garage wont charge much to do it.

good luck, hope you can get it done. :lol:

This thing is a right fucker lol

I just tried again but to no avail; I'm gonna quit while I'm ahead and get a mechanic to loosen them :lol:

Thanks again for the help lads! :)

This thing is a right fucker lol

I just tried again but to no avail; I'm gonna quit while I'm ahead and get a mechanic to loosen them :lol:

Thanks again for the help lads! :)

breaker bar thats what i used!

yea, WD it now and i mean! empty the can on it, around it and possibly facing the straw up towards the threads and soak it. When ever u get up have another go before you hand money over to someone else.

Now i don't know which bolt it is, but if possible smack it some with a hammer :lol:

I've tried WD40! Sprayed all over the bolt and left it for an hour, didn't have any effect!

Then I even soaked it in brake fluid and it STILL didn't work!

I think I have a breaker bar but a 1/2 drive only with a 19mm socket, the bolt is 17mm..I might just invest in a 3/8 drive breaker bar to match my socket set! :lol:

Before you actually remove the filter you will want to depressurise the system, just take the fuel filler cap out.

Just make sure the new filter doesn't leak, it can be a twat.