EarL's main squeeze...

UPDATED - SEE LAST POST.

Ok, a fair few of you peeps know I also own a 1990 MR2 Turbo.

I've owned the car since 2002, and have loved every minute of it. That was, until it was stolen just before Christmas 2006!

And so the story starts...

History

The car was originaly purchased from a US airman (an ex member of IMOC - RacerX) in July 2002. He'd made a few mods to the car, both cosmetically and mechanically, but more importantly, it had been really well looked after, and had virtually every reciept and invoice for every nut bolt and washer that had been put on it since it's import in 2000.

Engine modifications included: HSR stainless downpipe, Blitz induction kit, Paul Port fuel cut defencer.

Handling mods were: Koni adjustables & Eibach Sportline springs all round, Konig Imagine 17x7 rims with Goodyear rubber.

Cosmetically, the car was not brilliant. The laquer was peeling from the driver side rear flank and the original Super Red paint was fading badly, but apart from that, the car was mint. It drove superbly and went like sh*t off a shovel (or at least I thought that at the time).

It wasn't long before I joined IMOC and found out just how little it takes to make an already quick car near ballistic, and performed my first mod on the 2. A decent boost guage, and a grainger valve.

I'd been warned not to turn the boost up too much, so I found a nice quiet stretch of road and started winding it up. Quarter turn at a time... nothing, nothing, ooh, OH, HOLY CRAP!!! That was the start, and I'm sure many of you guys will attest to the fact that once you've had a taste of increased boost, it's an addictive beast. You just want more! :huh:

Well I've driven the car in more or less that state of tune for quite a while, with the exception of swapping to a GReddy e-01 electronic boost controller and a CT20 turbo (which was later stolen - long story nwhich I won't go into here). Just got to have more boost...

The car was then stolen just before Christmas and thankfully recovered albeit with a fair amount of rear end damage. That was the turning point! I was going to break the car and buy something else, but my mate Phil (MRV6) made me think twice about it and I decided to rebuild the old girl.

So with that in mind...

Here's a couple of pics to establish what's been done cosmetically so far.

Bodywork

Border (replica from StylingFX) front bumper, Toms side skirts & Phoenix Power rear splitters.

The car is painted in Super Red III

The car was put back on the road for a short time before starting to sort the engine, box and suspension.

I was lucky enough to sell my house and have enough disposable cash to have a load of work done and have the car come back a real monster to the tune of (hopefully) over 450bhp.

Here is a basic spec (it's changed several times since)

86mm JE pistons

Eagle H beam rods

1.2mm HKS head gasket

ARP head studs

ARP flywheel studs

Walbro 255lph fuel pump

Fidanza flywheel

RPS Max cluch (rated to 650lbs ft of torque)

Rev 2 box with TRD LSD

Revision 2 rear subframe

MoTeC M400 stand alone ecu and sensors

ATS GT3071r Turbo with external wastegate & screamer pipe

4in intake with filter

Radtech Chargecooler & pre-rad

Piper 264 cams

880cc SARD injectors

Wolfkatz fuel rail

High pressure oil pump

TRD thermostat

New valve lifters (lightweight)

Cylinder Head work (1mm over size valves, opened ports etc)

RM Racing inlet manifold

HKS valve springs

Fidanza vernier cam gears

TB Developments antiroll bars

Tein type flex coilovers with EDFC

Polyflex bush set

Apexi N1 Single exit exhaust

HiSpec 335 4 pot brake conversion front and rear

SSR Professor SP1 wheels (7.5J front, 8.5J rear)

Toyo T1-R tyres (215x40x17 front, 245x40x17 rear)

Ask Sport carbon trunk lid & bonnet (only one in the UK)

Pheonix Power carbon engine lid

HiSpec Brakes/Tein coilovers/TB Developments anti roll bars

brakes2.jpg

...with SSR wheel mounted for clearance testing

wheeandbrakes.jpg

Short block assembly

motor_1.jpg

Just waiting for the turbo kit to come from the US now. Recieved a text from the supplier that it's on it's way, so looks like blast off in a couple of weeks.

For the full story and more pics, check here:

Full Story

EarL.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Incredible Story & Incredible Work Glen!

Really glad to have you on the site bro, really doing us proud.

Im a big fan of Super Red too :huh:

Looking forward to the near day she is fully restored to her kickass self!

Peace Out

Joz

p.s How did u get on at the post office? :lol:

Not really of a fan of MR2's but that is absolutely lovely mate. Engine spec is brilliant, be interested to see what power it makes when its done. :huh:

Only thing i'd change is the mesh, i'd paint it black but i'm just being picky :lol:

Cheers for the reply's peeps. It's been over 6 months since the 2 was on the road, but she'll be back with a vengance soon.

We're hoping for around 450rwhp when it's finally been mapped (by Dave Rowe), but the way it's been built will mean that it's really torquey low down in the rev range. It should pull full boost (28psi) by around 3200rpm, by which time I'll have a face like a cheshire cat! :lol:

Wylo, the silver mesh was removed the same day those pics were taken mate. The bodyshop guy thought he was doing me a favour by fitting it, but I don't like silver on a red motor so out it came. It's having a real fine black poly mesh fitted when it comes back to Cardiff mate.

In the mean time, I'm really enjoying driving the Starlet. Reminds me of my old race mini. You can just stuff it into corners and balance it on the throttle. Way cool. :lol:

L8er,

EarL.

PS. Joz, didn't get time to go there today, been up to my eyes believe it or not. I'll pop down there tomorrow morning. Got some other stuff to pick up too.

Cheers bud. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

UPDATE

Ok, since selling the Starlet to my mate Mark Edwards, I've had chance to do a little more to the MR2 to get it ready for it's first season of racing.

Here's what it looks like now...

DSC_0003.jpg

It's done a little over 1000 miles on the new engine, and is ready for it's final oil change to full race synthetic (Silkolene Pro S 10w-50), before being mapped next Monday (5th of Feb). From there, It'll be run with colder grade plugs and generally given a good seeing to, to make sure it's ready for it's first event on the 22nd of Feb.... Weston Performance rolling road day.

The day before the rr, it'll be mapped again, but this time, it'll be the full hit! 1.8/2.0 bar of boost, and as near as we can get to 500bhp. ;)

Pics & vids to follow.

EarL.

holy shit 500 hourses, looks like your gona have a happy year,

that rear spoiler suites it soo soo much

lookin forward to seing dyno results and vids of any mischeaf you get up to with it ;)