Stock Manifold Porting

If anyones seen my project thread, i got a shite tubular stainless jobbie that cracked and failed miserably!

So until i can afford a bigger turbo setup, i decided to get a mate to port n gasflow my stock manifold :)

see what you think, if you've ever looked down the middle of a stock manifold you'll realise just how shite they are espically runner 3!

IMG00074-20100609-0907.jpg

IMG00071-20100609-0906.jpg

IMG00072-20100609-0907.jpg

IMG00073-20100609-0907.jpg

how does this look you guys, im rocking a stock manifold atm, but its amazing how much slower it is espically on top end!

Does the porting look good enough to run 1bar safetly :D

if i looks good enuff, im just gonna get the flanges skimmed dead flast and paint it and then put it on my car :)

Cheers

Matt.

no... read...

im running a stock manifold atm...

and i got my spare stock manifold ported and gasflowed like the pics above. im asking anyone whos got any exprience wheter it looks like it'd be safe to run at 1bar on a stock block...

It looks like the restiction has not been removed from runner 3 in the pictures? You need to compleatly get rid of that bulge, dont worry about going into the threads of the bolt as it dont screw that far into the threads anyway.

SDC13317.jpg

mine seemed to sit just on the edge of the highest bit in the picture were its gone through so you can take the hole bulb out, the threads seal it anyway and the cast Jam maifold is the same (exposed threads) runner 2 is the same You just cant see it, stick you fingers in and feel it! then go at it till its gone.

mine seemed to sit just on the edge of the highest bit in the picture were its gone through so you can take the hole bulb out, the threads seal it anyway and the cast Jam maifold is the same (exposed threads) runner 2 is the same You just cant see it, stick you fingers in and feel it! then go at it till its gone.

cheers buddy will do. :)

"grind till gone, grind till gone" :D

i dont know about gas flowed tbh looks a shit job to me you will notice more of a difference if you remove the restrictions in 2 and 3 and ffs smooth it out when your done.

if u felt it wid yer finger it is smooth mate... my mate just wasnt sure just how far to go with it, but now i know ill giv it back to him :)

cheers buddy will do. :)

"grind till gone, grind till gone" :)

if u felt it wid yer finger it is smooth mate... my mate just wasnt sure just how far to go with it, but now i know ill giv it back to him :D

have a look at the cross section where the manifold meets the turbo 1) Its all out of line and there are dimples in that i can see in a picture so cant be that smooth.how has you mate gas flowed it??? just looks like hes had a go at it with a grinding stone to me.

make sure you do runner number two also before running a bar on it.

You wont ever get a standard manifold as good as a JAM one, the more material you remove it's just going to get weaker.

I'd say it's fine as a temporary thing aslong as you're not going flat out everywhere but I'd hurry up and get a better one on there if I were you.

Ste have you actually seen a jam manifold and a standard manifold in your hands and seen the differnce. I have and after you've ported the standard manifold the difference is minimal, by porting the standard mani you wont weaken it if you do it correctly, it will be the same strength as before and even better if you polish it up after. As this strengthen the manifold by removing imperfection in the cast, I recon theres more chance of the mani cracking before it ported on standard boost than after running 1bar. I've had my ported mani on for 6months running 1bar for most of the time and I've had no problems what so ever and alot of other people will tell you the same thing. Granted your not going to see the same gains as a zisco, wepr, race-tech or similar. But the price difference of porting a standard mani and getting a jam one, Imo Its not worth it but that my opinon and I wont change my mind.

excuse the shite quality pics... but my mates taken it back to one of the guys in the machine shop...

remoeved those 2 nubbes and smoothed it all out... see wat u reckon:

runner 3 from head flange:

IMG00090-20100614-1720.jpg

runner 2 from head flange:

IMG00091-20100614-1720.jpg

runner 2 from turbo flange:

IMG00092-20100614-1720.jpg

runner 3 from turbo flange:

IMG00093-20100614-1720.jpg

hows this look now? safe to run at 1 bar. this is only to do me while i save for a bigger turbo conversion!

Cheers

Matt.

looks alot better now buddy just clean up the outside with a wire wheel to get rid of any loose rust as it will cause a heat build up in that area and you should be fine, you could also use some grate black to make it look a bit better just rub some on with a cloth as it will stop it rusting up so quickly

• 1 month later...
my mates has took a shit load more off 1 and 4 today and done some more smoothing, he then shot blasted the whole outside of it!

IMG00144-20100615-1347.jpg

lookin much better, all he needs to do now is skim the flanges and its good :)

nice !

i did mine also but i have no pics

but really like to know with what your mate did it for you

cuz i could get my 2nd runner as smooth as yours

• 2 weeks later...