After owning my car less than a year and my license for less than 6 months my car currently could be written off due to an uneconomical repair.. Why? Because a pizza delivery man decided while making a delivery last week not to stop at the junction which I was about to turn into, instead he decided not to slow down or look before navigating it, only to clip the apex on the wrong side of the road and continue into the front of me head on. To say I was PISSED is the understatement of the century. My insurance's approved garage has confirmed that the car needs a new bonnet and front bumper, they have also said that the radiator has a couple bent fins but is sealing fine, they said the headlights are scuffed although I have no idea why because the impact was nowhere near them, they also mentioned the aircon for some reason but that again I'm told is working and sealing fine.

The insurance company is currently reviewing the worth of my car, although with it being an import they are struggling to put an accurate value on it.. I'm waiting to see what they come back with before deciding what to do, although I think I'll just buy the car back off them as I know the car only has superficial damage. The main reason why they have deemed it uneconomical to repair is because of the fact its a JDM import, they are struggling to get a bonnet and bumper through Toyota.. I geuss thats just the way it goes with this type of car!

IMG_0170.jpg

Doesn't look that bad from the picture. Is the slam panel bent?

My old N/A Starlet was hit at 5-10 mph and it fucked the bonnet/bumper/wing/headlight/slam panel. They crumple like paper.

I was hugely shocked when they said it couldn't be repaired economically, its only a bonnet and a bumper and the bumper could probably just be repaired. They have said if I can find a bonnet they may well be able to oversee the repair so I'm going to stick a wanted ad up, not seen any up recently! The cross member is fine though, its only superficial damage perhaps bar the radiator but the mechanic who did the valueation said that it only has a few bent fins.. That could probably be said of every 14 year old car still on the road! As I said I will more than likely buy the car back, its been absolutely faultless for me and its to good to go to salvage, not to mention it'd definetely end up back on the road anyway. I am going to try and find a bumper and bonnet, and I might even just go for a Varis bumper of Iddy seeing as they're on group buy!

I was hugely shocked when they said it couldn't be repaired economically, its only a bonnet and a bumper and the bumper could probably just be repaired. They have said if I can find a bonnet they may well be able to oversee the repair so I'm going to stick a wanted ad up, not seen any up recently! The cross member is fine though, its only superficial damage perhaps bar the radiator but the mechanic who did the valueation said that it only has a few bent fins.. That could probably be said of every 14 year old car still on the road! As I said I will more than likely buy the car back, its been absolutely faultless for me and its to good to go to salvage, not to mention it'd definetely end up back on the road anyway. I am going to try and find a bumper and bonnet, and I might even just go for a Varis bumper of Iddy seeing as they're on group buy!

Hella Yeah!

Doesn't look that bad from the picture. Is the crossmember bent?

My old N/A Starlet was hit at 5-10 mph and it fucked the bonnet/bumper/wing/headlight/crossmember. They crumple like paper.

that's bad luck that mate hope you get it sorted and get to keep her.

Is the crossmember the bar that runs along the front behind the bumper, I thought it was called a slam pannel

Oh no :)

This was my car previously, defo get it repaired, i'm sure if you put up an ad in the wanted section and check the parts for sale section on a daily basis you should be able to get the parts needed to repair. From the pic it looks like you would just need a bonnet and bumper. The bumper could possibly just be resprayed if its not cracked.

What happened to the Glanza badge on the front?

Its defo too good to go to salvage and just like its been faultless for you it also never let me down.

Shouldn't the pizza van driver pay up for it as it was his fault?

Thats not bad at all dude, buy a bonnet off a Breaker and get a Varis bumper off Idrees and it'll be as good as new!!

Seriously dont let it get wrote off over something so minor.

that's bad luck that mate hope you get it sorted and get to keep her.

Is the crossmember the bar that runs along the front behind the bumper, I thought it was called a slam pannel

Oh shit yeah, I meant slam panel lol!

Well its the delivery drivers fault so should go through his/the pizza comapnies insuarnce anyways. I wouldnt be out of pocket for something that wasnt my fault thats for damn sure!!

Hope you get it sorted mate, looks like nothing tbh so shouldnt too difficult its just insurance are useless robbing twats.

Oh and get a nice whippy claim going aswell :)

I'm not quite sure who's insurance will be liable although I think mine will be claiming off his personal insurance.. It is definetely him at fault though, he didn't stop at a junction and just pulled straight out and thankfully my insurance understand this to be the case now too so hopefully it'll all go as it should and I can get on with getting the car repaired. I've seen the bonnet on eBay aswell, seems abit dear though and I may aswell get a carbon culture bonnet :).

I'm as shocked as everyone when they said it could be written off, its purely cosmetic the damage but its simply by the sounds of things down to the lack of replacement components.. Thats why its probably going to be better going for a cash in lieu of repair with my insurance, who hopefully will pay for the repairs I get done personally so long as they deem it more economical!

Still arguing the toss with my insurance over my car, I've had the car back from the garage and its just nestled safely in my garage now until they decide what to do as they've still not come up with a resolution! They have agreed as mentioned earlier that the repair wasn't uneconomical due to obtaining replacement components, so they said they'd settle on a price for the car to which it has taken over a week again this is because its an import and values of which are hard to gauge.. Anyway, they got a value for it from an independent then rang me back up and said that it should be economical to repair, so now they're resubmitting the case to the engineers! Total piss take.. In the meantime I've assessed the damage myself and it really does only need a bonnet, the front bumper would re-spray but I'm after getting a new one if I can!

Really pissing me off not having a car, and they wont even give me a hire car because its not being repaired.. Beginning to think that as honest as a person as I am, I would legitimately be able to claim damages because getting around at the moment is costing me a fortune!

Keep yall posted ;)

my advice would be not to go through insurance what so ever. if its not structural and all it needs is a bonnet then pay for it yourself or get the pizza guy to front the costs. going through insurance will come back to bite you in the ass when its comes to renewal time (for 5 long years). they will screw you over big time and for such minor repairs its not worth it.

• 5 weeks later...

Well I am pleased to say, after over a month since the accident I have JUST tonight got my car back! With regards to the insurance, I got a pay out as a 'Cash in Lieu of Repairs' settlement as apparently they where struggling to source a replacement bonnet and the cost of the repairs including bodywork repair and spraying had made the repair uneconomical, consequently then they wanted to write the car off... Bullshit! The car literally needed a new bonnet, front bumper crash/support bar which is purely designed to absorb the impact anyway and the front bumper needed respraying. With this in mind we negociated on the cost of what it'd cost me for repairs and I took the cheque for the ammount they offered me. With the money in one hand I checked in at my local Toyota dearler where it became evident that while the bonnet wasn't in the UK, it could be ordered in within 4 days at a cost of £185 including VAT! While I was there then I decided to get a few other things, this would include two new headlights to replace my old faded ones, a new crash bar, new front emblem/badge and some clear indicator lens's.. Needless to say the parts, including the bonnet landed within 3 days! At which point I spoke to a friend of mine who does accident repairs and has his own bodyshop, we decided that the car needed the front bumper doing, the new bonnet spraying obviously and the wings to make it look right.. Then the doors would need blending.. Basically we talked some and he came back with a good price to do what I needed done PLUS the rear quaters and rear bumper which had a scuff here and there. I also managed to source an OEM front lip which I managed to get my mate to spray up for me too..

Consequently then my car has almost had a full respray along with new headlights, OEM front splitter and clear indicator lens's.. The car looks awesome! My mates done a great job and the front end looks 200% better.

In the meantime I haven't had an admission of liability, but my insurance are confident after a witness statement I recieved that its only a matter of time.. Which is just aswell because my insurance re-newed last week and they RAPED me for my premium as until prooven otherwise the accident is my fault, they have agreed to refund me the difference and honor my no claims as and when this is settled though.

Here is a quick pic taken on my phone, the car needs a wash and a good vac.. Its wet with a combination of bodyshop dust, but it still looks great :thumbsup:.

StarletGlanzaV029.jpg