I know it might sound a bit pikey but i dont really fancy spending £700 odd on coilovers for my 4wd just to lower the back. I know the front lowering springs will drop the car ok but not the back. I dont want it uber low but just so kinda match the front. Ive got 40mm lowering springs.

Which bit of the spring do you cut as ive never done it before as i hopefully wanna lower it sunday if im not hungover

rear springs on the right

STA71137.jpg

not the best idea but prob the best option until a cheaper alternative to the miesters comes up

cut them from the bottom mate try cut it to the same shape if you know what i mean

Have you tried the lowering springs on the back yet? did it sit higeher than the stock suspension?

yeh i fitted them on the back and it nearly looked higher then my land rover B)

i was just going to cut the one coil but i cant see another way of lowering it until another company just make lowering springs for the ep*5 but i dont see that happening either.

i dont think hes wrin doing it. ill prob do it as well with my 4x4. i just cant justify spending 700+ on coilovers right now especially after the money ive spent buying the car and all these bits. a lowering spring kit will eventually be an option but until then this is the only other option.

damn right! knowing my luck id pay 700 odds for coilovers then a day or 2 later some1 will come up with something a little cheaper.

theres going to be a market for ep*5 lowering springs as theres going to be lots more of them poping up within the next year, so im sure some1 will come along with an affordable set of lowering springs

sorry to be a spoil sport but cutting springs is very dangerous

one big bump in the road and it could pop off and chuck you into a ditch

you never know i personally really would advise against it

thats only if you cut 2 much off, which in my opinion wont be a problem on the 4x4s.

the rear shocks are a bit different to the fwd starlet 1's. the top mount part comes out higher on the 4x4s so there is less space between the top mount and the springcup so cutting a coil or 2 wont make the spring short enough to pop out.

heres a pic

06082010381.jpg

it is a pikey way of doing things and i never normally would but its the only option i have atm, that or drivie around with its arse in the air

as brad says its a temp soloution. Some1 is bound to come up with a shock/spring set up for the 4x4s and if they dont then i will just have to buy coilovers

aye enzo called me about an hour ago and there's a company called rs*r that make lowering springs by the sound of it but we shall have to wait and see.

But in regards to cutting the springs i will only lop a coil off nothing extreme its better then a hot rod styleee starlet

there's a company in japan called zoom which make lowering springs for the ep85/95 starlet but there not cheap when you have added the postage on with the exchange rate also.

ive got the meisters on mine and i would recommend them.

wouldnt do it myself, save up and enjoy the real pleasure ....u guys dont need preaching to looks as if you`ve made your choice on the matter anyway.

id say suspension first then turbo

DONT cut the springs FFS, mate cut his on s14 and the spring bounced out on a bump an dug in the tyre..He was lucky there was no more damage than jus a tyre..

Would GT springs fit on the back?? they look the same, i have a pair of rear springs that have sagged that you can try..

Im down monday nite so let me know an i'll bring them with me...

• 1 month later...