Relocate Air Filter To Grille...on A N/a

hi all,

just wondering why no-one has relocated the air filter to behind the grille on a n/a? i want to do it for the ultimate cold air feed, but there isnt any kits etc like the turbo's and i wouldnt know what id need to buy apart from the filer!

cheers,

nath

It works on a Turbo because there is a strong induction from the Turbo of course.

I don't think it would be AS effective on an N/A, because the induction is weaker, I reckon it would be quite laggy, but probably better form power top-end.

It would be best if you could make an enclosed cone filter with it's own air feed, check out ASADEP5DR's build thread!

You want to keep the filter close to the throttle body, those who put the filter at the grille didnt like it car felt weak/slow, ive got a DIY pic on my build thread of what i want to make just finding the correct container now

at the mo i have a nice k&n filter thats kinda half open (has a big heat shield) with a bit of ducting attached to the original cold air feed (will try get a picture tomorrow)

i need a 90 degree elbow though but i dont know what dimension the standard tube is?

i see the flaw in my idea now, obviously their isnt as much suction/ air pressure to suck it up like the tubbys! :/

from the TB, i have the standard rubber tube with the air temp sensor jubilee'd in the whole that was left from removing the little air resivoir box (smart thinking there imo) then i currently have the k&N pointing toward the passenger side wheel arch... i want it front facing...

so... can i use a 45 degree from the TB, then the current set up, then another 45 deg before the filter? that way it'd be front facing, but no sharp corners :(

it would be nice to do it all in stainless steel... anyone know where i can get said parts and what sizes i need?

lol

i did this on the n/a sometime ago with the hks at the front it does make the n/a very laggy the shorter the pipe the better pick up you will get but the worse the heat soak will be the best filter as some have stated IMHO would be the bmc or similar i currently run an enclosed evosport filter which is very similar!!

hi guys just seen this thread

sorry to hijak it but i want to know what i should do as regards to fitting an induction kit

my options were stick a mushroom filter on top of the carb or a cone filteron a pipe to the side of the rocker cover

here is a pick of my engine bay with the current standard setup, if anyone wants to use paint on it to show where to put it thats great!!!!!

P160610_20230001.jpg

if anyone has anymore ideas they are more than welcome

mines pretty close to the front grille, about as close as your gunna get it tbf

and series70boy my brother has a induction kit for his civic that goes into all the space infront of the driverside front wheel, ill try get a pic of what i mean, you'd need to buy a 90 degree pipe tho me thinks

is your radiator single core or double core?

what size is the carb? could fit something like the K11 micra

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http...x=167&ty=68

hope i dont sound stupiid but i dont actually know if its double or single, all i know is, its standard

the carb is also standard to the 2e engine!!!!

but that pic of the micra is the sort of thing i was meaning when i said alongside the rocker cover!!!

Could you take a pic of the radiator for me? of the side of it if you get me?

take the cover off and air filter im sure you can take the plate off where the air filter rests? then measure the intake diameter of the carb

right ho then

i belive the rad to be single core

P080910_11270001.jpg

and the intake at the top of the carb where the standard airbox fits is 63mm

P080910_11270002.jpg

P080910_11340001.jpg

inside the airbox was something that seemed like a fuel intake valve (not sure if its is, or what the correct terminology is!!!)

it is highlighted in red, i am not sure but on second thoughts it might be something to do with the manual choke

if anyone could anyone shed any light on this that would be great as i am worried that it will stop me from having a new filter setup???????

thanks for all your help guys

sooo, thats what you need a 63mm bend pointing towards the washer bottle and a cold air feed comming up from the gearbox....mind you wouldnt it mess with the fueling and stuff? guess it would be best to take it for a tune up

thought so

but i could put a hole in the 63mm bend and fit the fuel thingy, but will find out what it is and of what importance before i do daft things like cutting holes,

i am sure it could go in the bend after the cone filter as it actually sits under the current air filter, maybe mo harm would be done??

i have a rather good mechanic next door but one so i might mug him tonight to get his opinion!!!!!!

what we really need is ibt's :(

It's ITB not IBT...

And people don't do it because to do it properly you'd have to move the radiator accross slightly, otherwise it would be simple.

People talk about different lengths and diameters and think they know what's "best" but without any proper research/testing it doesn't mean anything. But either way it's only a 1.3 N/A, you aren't going to make any real differences whatever happens.

Just get a good bit of aluminium pipe coming off the throttle body with a cone filter on the end and enjoy the sound.

A heat shield and cold air feed might help but I didn't use either and it was fine. Remember any bends cause restrictions to the air flow (even mandrel bends) so try to keep the bends to a minimum. (I just used a short 45 degree pipe to get the filter away from the engine slightly).