Disputes with another forum

you really do not have to explain yourself.

Of that my friend, I am fully aware.

I don't, and ordinarily, I wouldn't bother to dignify it with a response, but in this instance, we are dealing with the reputation of the club as perceived by others outside of this forum. I have no need to explain myself when I feel I am acting in the best interests of this forum and her members. Geo put me in charge of the day to day running of UKSC; that means I act as I see fit for the best interests of UKSC, and so far not one member of our admin team, Geo included, has questioned a single thing I have said or done, and as far as I am concerned, I made a bloody good account of myself when I attended JAE, as did all of our members, and I'd like to think that everyone that met me at JAE 2010, and 06 and 07 for that matter, feel that I am doing a fairly decent job of representing and running the forum and club on a daily basis both face to face with members and on line.

However, there will always be one or two individuals who will disagree with my decisions, who feel like I'm hot headed or condescending and perhaps acting above my station as admin here on UKSC, and that they could probably do a better job, and tbh, they've made this very clear on more than one occasion prior to this instance.

My judgement and ability to make mature, reasoned decisions that serve to develop and protect UKSC, our name, and our members was questioned in front of everyone in an official Admin announcement from me to the members, thats probably my own fault for not locking the thread immediately following the announcement, but as I was questioned, I wasn't about to back down. I have explained my decision, I have expressly detailed that this announcement was not aimed at any one particular individual but rather that recent events relating from the actions of someone on top of the underlying current of aggro between the two sites had led me to make this announcement - consider it the straw that broke the badger's back - and I have now defended my decision on this matter.

I'm tired of having my decisions and position questioned. If anyone has a problem with how I run this place then feel free to speak up now and be heard by the Admin team and all the members. Lets hear it. Say it in front of everyone, no more snide remarks, grow a set and say it now. If it's justified, then Geo can remove me from my position. This is your opportunity, not in 6 months time or 12 months time. Either say it here and now, or shut the fuck up and let me do my job here. I act in what I feel is the best interests of UKSC. This place has been my on line home for 5 years or more. Everyone who knows me or meets me knows within 5 minutes that I am involved in an on line car owners club, feck me I even used it as an example in the interview I had for my current job!

For the record, I am not over reacting, this has been brewing and needs finished now. Or I will finish it privately myself. Management can't do their job if the people have no respect for the decisions that are made.

It boils down to this - As a great man once said, you can please some people all of the time, and you can please all people some of the time. But you cannot please all the people, all of the time. Its all part and parcel of being in a management position.

Phil.

agreed phil i can see why you're wound up i would be

whats the point of the snide remarks, youve got a job to do whats the point in having an admin team and moderaters if they shouldnt be doing these things

I've seen the whole "Mods on a power trip" comment used so many times. whats the point in the snide remarks. what people have to understand is its not an easy job being admin or a mod. im not one but i see whats done on a day to day basis and the moderator team on UKSC do a good job.

They dont thrive on having power its not like they enjoy being hard on some people when there doing something wrong. i bet they'd rather come on here and have an easy life and the forum running smooth and without problems 24/7.

if people dont like it then lump it

Phil, there are people out there who appreciate what you do, day in day out. Your commitment to the club is second to none, and it truly shows. Feck me, I mean, flying over from Ireland just to grope us all over the course of a weekend, that's dedication.

Fact of the matter is, there will only be a few people who will feel that 'Admin are on a power trip again', you will always get that, it comes part and parcel with the position you are in. The vast majority of us never say anything about you, because we feel you are doing a bang-up job of running the place. And you do. It's only tha haterz who will post. You are appreciated by us, all of us, I have no doubt that without you, UKSC would not be the UKSC we know now.

We know that whatever decisions the Admin team take, they are taken with the club's interests at heart, not to benefit or further an individual, or to 'side' with someone. We trust you with that.

This whole debacle (not blaming you Tyron, you apologised, good man), only serves to highlight the stresses that the Admin team members, like Phil, have to deal with. They have to foster relations between TGTT and UKSC, and sometimes that can be hard with the rivalry that is present in BOTH clubs. A rivalry, which, at the end of the day, is utter stupidness. We both love everything Starlet, and indeed, car related. It shouldn't be up to the Admins of both clubs alone to make us get along, it HAS take effort on the members part as well.

Not entirely sure what I'm trying to get at in this post, but I've grown tired of all the bickering between the clubs. TGTT was the first Starlet forum I signed up on, until Idrees recommended me UKSC, as I had (have?) a UK Spec N/A at the time. To be honest, I do like UKSC over TGTT, but that doesnt mean to say that TGTT is the lesser of the two clubs. The technical information on there is astounding, and there are still a lot of very well informed and helpful members.

So basically, the TL;DR version (Too Long; Didn't Read), is this:

In short, everyday, bear in mind the job that the admins of both sites have to do. Make it easier for them, and stop the pointless back and forth name-calling/arguing. The two clubs are here for the same thing at the end of the day.

((Jesus, longest post ever made by me? I think so.))

At the end of the day all we are trying to do is to make everyone's experience and interaction with the site and starlet community as smooth and most satisying as possible. We have all had our trigger happy moments but most of us have matured and moved on since then.

We do not get paid for doing any of this and even though some find more time to contribute than others, it is all a team effort to provide a safe and sorted platform in the best interest of everyone. Our satisfaction is a thriving and trusting starlet community as a whole.

At the end of the day we are all enthusiasts so lets continue raising the bar like we have always done and think twice before throwing a whole forum's name into an argument.

Like Bill & Ted once famously said

"Be Excellent to Each Other"

Joz

just noticed this thread... and it is disgusting that people would start name pulling in arguements just because they dont like a rule.... i agree that we need a rule on the number of posts required before sales can be agreed with a new member.... 50 may even be too few!

We'r all here for the cars :D

much agreed mate we are all here for the cars.... we should never forget that..... but no matter how sickly it may sound we are also here for the community!!!!!!!

hmmmm...the silence is deafening.

i made an open invitation to grow a set and say your piece. yet, gutterball, tumbleweed, dust bunnies, zilch, nadda. so either your nuts havnt dropped yet, or when invited to stand up infront of the club and be heard, your opinion suddenly isnt so strong.

would love to say im shocked... :)

i now consider this matter put to bed and that in general most folk are supportive of the request, and also happy with the job admin are doing...but i'll leave it open a day or two yet incase some testicles are found lurking under the bed.

Phil.

Seems so mate :) , I can imagine you would rather let it lie and I dont mean to drag it all up again, I just dont like being told to grow some balls if it is infact aimed at me? :)

ye course i would mate i wudnt mind but i havent killed anybody i said some rule sucked lol and its like a major affence on here :/

Dispute's with other forum's is like disputes with other school's...

I have been on forum's for 8 or so year's now an you will alway's get it somewhere. You mention a forum to another an they turn there nose up at you an i have alway's found it funny, but i was always on cruise forum's, its only been the past 4 years i have been on owners sites..

XR, RS, 306 GTi-6, GTi, 106 all these sites have somink against another site that is for the same car so i wasn't supprised when i first joined TGTT to hear the name UKSC being thrown around, so it made me join hear to see what all the fuss was about..

Never really used this site for the first year as couldn't get on with the layout (sorry) so was alway's on TGTT, there a good bunch over there once you get use to them an know how to deal with them, but then again its the same over hear, some of you can be tits but then really helpfull at the same time so once past that its alright. An i have started coming on hear as oftern as i go on TGTT its a 50 50 thing really..

At the end of it it doesn't really matter how each site is run or how each site is modderated they are both doing really well and with the information you can find between the pair is pretty awsome an very helpfull. I oftern see the same thread on both site's with replie's an it gives the person more info on what there looking for...

Tyrone i can pretty much 100% say this isnt about you mate. phil said his piece you apologised and the matter has been resolved so dont worry mate the fact this thread is still going is nothing to do with you i believe its the comment quoted below

Would it have not been better to pm the dude, publically shaming him a bit harsh is it not?

To be honest I've only been a moderator a week or so but for about a year or so now I've seen comments like this and thought "whats the point" no offence Mr ashton cause im not directly aiming this at you at all but one or 2 individuals repeatadly crop up with the sly comments like "mods on a power trip again"

seriously what is the point? if you dont agree with something either PM the mod you have an issue with and resolve it or shut the hell up. sly comments just make you look an idiot really. at the end of the day if someone scanked you on something you bought on here or said something really offensive to you etc you'd be straight to the moderators for help.

they/were here for a reason......The good of the club.FACT!!!

Would it have not been better to pm the dude, publically shaming him a bit harsh is it not?

well you're the very boy who openly questioned how i dealt with an interforum matter infront of everyone, so yes, its aimed at you and anyone else who seems to disapprove of the way i deal with forum business.

so, now that I have responded with the above comments, explaining WHY i dealt with it in the way I did, perhaps you wish to question it further? or perhaps, having read my explanations, you can see and comprehend my standing on the matter, and could perhaps infact agree with how i handled this.

u dont like being told to grow a set? i dont like u calling me out infront of everyone over how i dealt with this matter above, everyone else seemes to have approved as they are sick of the "them and us" culture between the sites. u and i have been over this before, and I thought we had settled it. I've even spoken to a mutual friend who assures me u are a nice lad, if somewhat blunt.

i made an announcement - you questioned it - i explained it and followed up by opening the floor to air any and all grievances or dislikings that yourself or anyone else may have about how UKSC is run by me or any of the admin team - got goose egg of a response - thought i'd offer it up once more before locking the thread, and here we are.

i'm happy to bury this matter here and now if there are no complaints about how the palce is run, but i was questioned, therefore i feel it only fair i get to question in return.

i appreciate that bad feelings between the two sites aren't exactly important to everyone, but from where i sit, i'd rather it wasn't an all out slag fest between TGTT and UKSC. Users will have their preferences of course, but as has been said numerous times before, we're all here for the same reason. Maybe someday TGTT and UKSC can be like me and Jay, where UKSC and TGTT meet in NI to form NorhtStars and we have massive guitar man love for one another, but if the best i can pursue right now if for a general peace between the two sites then that'll do nicely. there we go, I've even explained it twice now.

Phil.

Im sorry I still dont agree with the way you handled this mater, but as you said your never going to please everyone. I dont think you need to justyfy yourself in such way then bring me to the table to explain myself. I simply thought your reply quoted below was enough, and pretty much the end of the matter, I did not read your further postings until now. None of my comments are meant in a sly manner.

This was not about publicly shaming anybody! For 5 years i have worked to stop this "them and us" crap between the two sites.

Way I see it you could have gone privatly or publically. If you're taking someone to task, i think it's usually better to do so by PM or email rather than in public. Less embarrassing for them. But it might be worth a short public note as well if you want to explain a policy. See if you can do so without blaming the original poster. This way saving any embarresment for Tyrone.

That is it, i dont see why my questioning you creates so much fuss with you?

Now in this thread you have embarresed him and me, i dont like being told to grow some balls and I dont see other mods saying things like that to members. I can clearly see you have UKSC at heart but please dont forget 'all' its members in the process.

Tyrone has said he wants to let this matter lie, so rather than bumping this topic up again please PM if there are further issues you may wish to discuss with me.

As you say, can't please everyone all the time. you dont think u should be questioned, fair enough. as admin i cant take that stance for myself or this turns into a dictatorship. i have no problem being questioned, if someone has a concern or a greivance my inbox gets hit everyday with problems that i resolve for people, so if such concerns relate to the running of UKSC by the team, then i will of course deal with any and all such PMs too.

it creates a "fuss" with me because your saying i should have done this privately, yet there u were questioning me publically.

but, its done. there's no point going over this again and again. ive explained myself, as have you. we dont agree. and you're not my biggest fan, which is grand. you've said before u dont like my attitude towards u and ive said before i dont like your attitude towards me. u might not think it a big deal, but as far as i was concerned, u questioned me infront of everyone which i didnt appreciate. im tryin to smooth things between the sites and felt it was somewhat undermined. ive tried other approaches over the years, this time a general announcement was required. one day i'll get it right.

thread closed as it'll only run in circles.

Phil.