allrite guys i think im having problems with my lil starbo! i reacently changed the thermostat as my temp gauge wouldent work and when i installed an after market temp gauge it was all over the place and i didnt really have any heating inside the car!

but since i changed it I've noticed my car gets hot fast! like within 5 mins of driving the needle on the clocks is at half point ( whatever that is )

the other day my engine management light came on and i thaught it was fuel cut but it did it again when i was only at 0.5 bar of boost?

so 2nite I've just opended my bonnet and the radiator is red hot, top rad hose is red hot! but the bottom is ice cold?

im sure the radiator is not ment to have smoke coming off it :L

any ideas?

cheers josh

Or could be what the polo lads have problems with....

The same thing was happening with my polo, The thermostat housing is fooked.....not sure if eps have the same style, but if the housing is broke, the thermostat wont open making the car overheat....

What boost gauge have you got?..Just i cant see the engine management light comeing on just because's the car is over heating..My gess is that you are hitting fuelcut and your gauge is out.

As for it over heating is the temperature gauge going right up to the top?...or is it staying just above half way?

it gets to half way within 5 mins of driving, and its an apaxi boosgauge, its all confusinggg lol

If the temperature gauge dosnt go to the top then you have nothing to worry about..I remember last year warming my car up in my garage in the winter and it seem to take for ever for my fan to kick in because of the cold weather but after waiting half a year it did kick in..so Maybe you just arnt leveing it long enuf.

As for the Engine light comeing on if its gone off and hasnt stayed on then it must of been fuel cut..with the cold weather it will boost/creep abit more then normal.

_your bottom hose should be getting warm-hot though... once the engine gets up to temp the thermostat opens alowing the coolant to circulate through the cooling side. bottom hose is the last hose to get hot but it should get hot otherwise you could have a circulation problem (waterpump, thermostat?) but with the temp gauge being norm i would say not. and prob will take the biscuit for your fan to kick in because of the cold weather.

_steam coming from the rad... could be water off the road like metioned above but if it persists could be a small pin hole from a rotton row in the rad core or possibly a crack if your car might have frozen? have you chacked your anti-freeze strength?

you can norm see a rad leak as to roughly where the steam is coming from and if the core looks slightly darker in a patch usually at the bottom of the rad as thats where all the road crap hits it.

hope that helps? =/