building a 4efte engine

right lads basically i have a spare engine (my old one) sat in my garage that overheated big time and completly fuked the head. its done 46k

whats the chances of the block/bottom end being bolloxed as well?

i have a new head (i say new its done 60k) next week.

i want to do a full rebuild on the engine. i know thats probably quite an open statement. but enough to freshen it up to basically a new/ re con engine.

how far would you suggest going with it and what parts would i need? not done this before so any info at all will be really helpful :lol:

i cant afford to forge it unfortunately :p

cheers in advance, matt

i would say a strip down is needed to check condition the internet will provide you with autodata settings for lining up cambelt to top dead centre etc, tightening torques etc. im not sure if a haynes manual would be that intense to give details for an engine strip down. but i dont own a haynes manual so im not sure.

piston rings and maybe shells are always a thing to bear in mind but the crank may need to be done too and also pistons changed. but this all depends upon the condition mate.

but firstly strip it down and post some pics up of internals and i can advise you further dude

greasemonkeyspb (steve)

i would say a strip down is needed to check condition the internet will provide you with autodata settings for lining up cambelt to top dead centre etc, tightening torques etc. im not sure if a haynes manual would be that intense to give details for an engine strip down. but i dont own a haynes manual so im not sure.

piston rings and maybe shells are always a thing to bear in mind but the crank may need to be done too and also pistons changed. but this all depends upon the condition mate.

but firstly strip it down and post some pics up of internals and i can advise you further dude

greasemonkeyspb (steve)

thanks alot mate ill be in touch :lol: ive got some mates that are mechanics that i can ask if i get in the shit with anything. but its just knowing what to buy/ whats the best brands to buy. so any info if spot on :p

also if your taking apart wouldnt hurt to change camblet water pump and tensioners whilst engine out of the car and also to change head gasket, and sump gasket if removing sump to access crankshaft and main bearings. at least main parts are fresh then.

little things like oil strainers in the sump cleaned out and relief valves checked will also make huge difference on engine life expectancy.

but all this depends upon the condition of the engine when stripped down matey.

if doin a full rebuild for new parts i would get.

full engine gsket set

oil pump

water pump

crank seals

bearings

pistons

rings

headbolts

headgasket

timing belt and all bearings / tensioner

new oil pressure swtich and knock sensor aswell.

then theres the work for any parts that need it ie cylinders honed

the list can go on and on depending on how much u want to do lol

gettin the block checked by an engine shop should be quick and easy to see if its warped.

theres is also a page on here somewhere with all the important torque settings

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Have a look in the engine section and look for the post about forging advice I'm sure u will have seen it well I put a link on there for a full video guide on how to fully rebuild a 4efte it will really really help u :) ied post it back up on here but I'm on my phone

Before anything. get the block checked as the overheating that fucked the head could of warped the block face or cracked a water jacket. otherwise it will be an expensive disapointment! start with the block before ordering anything!!