What do I need for a reliable track GT?

like the lads have said, plus coolant level light helps as i have seen coolant loss leading to engine fail. but temp did not raise as thr was no coolant to measure. VW are the worst for this a simple sender unit switch in the cap like the 1 on the brake resi cap, but u do have to run a differnt expantion bottle plumed into the top and bottom hoses. and the exspantion tank needs to be baffeled. but this is not a must just handy. as this is wat killed my vr6 engine.

1 of the main things to remember is steady throttle build up under load get it reving thn bang tw the gears. the ring land on the standard pistons and geaboxes do not seem to like big suprises mate. throttle control is the key. also reseach the track using track guilds get as much info early thn u not trying to take it all in at once on the day. (flags exec). but the main thing is to have fun.

if your a novice on the track or running a after market ECU i would defo recomend a rev limmeter and set it to 6k or 6.5k as bouncing of the 7k limmeter on these engines i would not recomend, this is wer a shift light would com in handy.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i also like going round differnet size round abouts near my house building my speed up slowly and seeing at wat steering angle and speed my car starts to step out or tram line. gives u a good feel for the car and conering speeds and conering G helping u to brake in the right places and not wen cornering. use the full track also u will be suprised how many people drive on track like its a 2 lane road. i know this is not about your cars engine but helps give u a feel for wat the car is capable of not leading to any nasty suprises or component failur due to harsh crazy driving.

chris.

tbh also... if yopur oil pressure starts to drop... its already too late.... u cant save the engine from blowing its bottom end shells by monitoring a gauge imo.. if there gonna fail.. there just gonna do it!

not true mat, oil presure will drop slowly as the parts start to let go (rod bolts) it about minamasing damage, say for instance your engine block. but i do know wat your getting at its not just the lubricated parts that wer or let go a rod can be weakend in service and let go on track. oil presure can tell u lots about wats going on in side the engine. its a must in all engines ifu ask me.

chris

bollocks to paying attention to gauges on track .

you should be paying attention to where your going and as flat out as posible!!!!!

agree with socks if the oil pressure drops rapidly or enough for the thing to be needing a rebuild its already done enough damage tbh , plus a starlet engine aint exactly expensive to find another one.

wen u drive your motor u will now wer your gauges are at wat rpm, i can quite easly race and watch my gauges as i have thm in my eye line and know wer thy at and wen somthing is wrong just like i can see my rpm red line and thats not exactly in your eye line, the human brain is a amazing bit of kit and can mulit task. u just need to know wat u looking at and make it common place. i know wat your saying alot of gauges are for tunning and a lot are for keeping your car servicable. luke spotted his oil presure drop by a couple of psi straight away and saved his engine he just needs to reshell and a new piston and all good instead of a complete engine. y do u think u have these things lads.

chris.

I don't have any problems keeping an eye on my rpm lol

fba75835.jpg

And the shift light has a cover over as it blinds the shit out if me when it comes on

lov it now thats a gauge. the progresize rpm/shift lights, like wat f1 use are easier to use and are just a strip of L,E,Ds which makes it alot more compact.

pretty sure im not the only person that thinks lowering springs DO improve the handling, my car handles better with the zoom springs over standard any day.

correct mate its basic physics lower center of gravity the other simple 1 is even weight distrabution. the front anti lift kit so simple but is 1 of the best handling maods as u can get masive bush diflection from the standard front swing arms. up to 20 degrees.

Just have a good time mate, if your only doing two 15mins sessions then you shouldnt have anything to worry about really.

I cant see you having the time to look at gauages the whole way round :D

Just read tyres pressures before you go out, keep fluids topped up and test her out, you'll love it :p

adam

A lot of good advice here guys, thanks a lot! :D

and the hks adjustable actuator set to 1 bar boost pressure is a must if he wishes to keep up lol..

im assuming the mines ecu will stop your fuel cut yeah?

Ive just bought myself an oil cooler but it doesnt actually require one for 15 mins mate, and if its your first track session just go out take it easy and enjoy it mate

Yeah should be well at 1 bar, just need a new clutch because mine slips when I get creep at 0.8!

breakdown recovery lol.

Lol I WILL be getting AA membership

if u rely on the car that much amjad... dont track it...

you dont have to go flat out on track to enjoy yourself ether!

It's not so much that I rely on the car, just I can't afford a rebuild!

And I'm too hyped to drop out now, need to go on this time lol

no sorry its got lowering springs on stock shocks so handles good :D

didnt have a problem keepin up with the much more powerfull black s14a

i personally wouldnt bother with coilovers as a decent set of springs and shocks IMO can make a car handle much better and you can still have some street comfort ,

coilovers are more of a track only or stance whore option for me.

bollocks to paying attention to gauges on track .

you should be paying attention to where your going and as flat out as posible!!!!!

That's cool, did you have any bars and braces to help with handling at all?

Don't get me wrong I'd love Meisters or something, but there's no way in hell I'd pay £500+ for a set when I know the setup on my NA (springs, bars and braces) is potent enough without spending loads

Just have a good time mate, if your only doing two 15mins sessions then you shouldnt have anything to worry about really.

I cant see you having the time to look at gauages the whole way round :p

Just read tyres pressures before you go out, keep fluids topped up and test her out, you'll love it :D

adam

I had everything checked before JF, just the bloody oil feed was dodgy :D

Needless to say I'll be testing and checking everything on the car is spot on this time round, otherwise the track passes will be up for sale!

I'm don't wanna be 100% flat out, but I wanna drive it like it should be driven on a track lol

if your a novice on the track or running a after market ECU i would defo recomend a rev limmeter and set it to 6k or 6.5k as bouncing of the 7k limmeter on these engines i would not recomend, this is wer a shift light would com in handy.

Yeah I'll be keeping it below 6.5k as the CT9 runs out of puff anyway, smooth, progressive driving is what I have in mind

i also like going round differnet size round abouts near my house building my speed up slowly and seeing at wat steering angle and speed my car starts to step out or tram line. gives u a good feel for the car and conering speeds and conering G helping u to brake in the right places and not wen cornering. use the full track also u will be suprised how many people drive on track like its a 2 lane road. i know this is not about your cars engine but helps give u a feel for wat the car is capable of not leading to any nasty suprises or component failur due to harsh crazy driving.

That's exactly how I learned the limits of my NA :p

I just haven't tested the handling of this car as the suspension is pants atm lol

Yeah been watching videos of the track on youtube trying to learn it :D

wen u drive your motor u will now wer your gauges are at wat rpm, i can quite easly race and watch my gauges as i have thm in my eye line and know wer thy at and wen somthing is wrong just like i can see my rpm red line and thats not exactly in your eye line, the human brain is a amazing bit of kit and can mulit task. u just need to know wat u looking at and make it common place. i know wat your saying alot of gauges are for tunning and a lot are for keeping your car servicable. luke spotted his oil presure drop by a couple of psi straight away and saved his engine he just needs to reshell and a new piston and all good instead of a complete engine. y do u think u have these things lads.

I don't think it'd be hard to keep an eye on the gauges now and again either, sounds like these bits are a must then especially as Luke saved his engine from being even more damaged!

yep digi gauges are better to keep an eye on but as said if thr is a problem u will feel it thn u know to look at gauges. just enjoy the experience. its like a drug, addictive.

Too right, I didn't even go on track and that briefing got me in the mood haha

sorry if i go on abit mate, just so enthused about new lads getting on the track. just because i know wat a rush it is and the more u do it the better u get. and i know how much people spend on these cars so i can completey understand your conserns amjad. thr are several checks i always do before and after the track, and 1 is to check your big end shells and oil presure. also checking head bolt torque settings, coolant fan. tyre presure and all levels, and changing your brake fluid is a must, as i can not tell you how many people suffer with brake fade due to boiling fluid (old fluid, water contamanation)

chris.

p.s if luke did not have that oil presure gauge in it would have been a totaly differebt story (lots of unes work and expence). thr are so many more gauges i could tell u about but will stop my self. lol

Not at all Chris, you know a lot so it's good to hear your opinion on this :p

No idea how to do any of those checks bar the fan, tyres and fluid levels lol

I'm definitely going to change the brake fluid and I'm buying new braided hoses anyway. Was gonna go with DOT 5.1 Toyota fluid but is it worth getting race fluid? If so is there any you would recommend?

I'm definitely going to try and get Oil temp, pressure and Water temp gauges by July. It was my plan to get it all by next year and track the car then but I want to track it now lol

Any dot 5.1 brake fluid should be good mate, but as above id sort out the braking, decent pads, dot 5.1 fluid and some braided brake lines. You dont wanna be like me at llandow 2 or 3 years ago and used standard pads and brake fluid i dont think was ever changed haha, did 2 laps and had no brake pedal it made my whole day crap.

Also some stiff suspension id say would be ideal as i had whiteline lowering springs an il let the picture do the talking.

DSC_8847.jpg

n857590031_6248482_1717012.jpg

No body roll at all lol

Cool Toyota 5.1 fluid it is :p

Yeah I've got the brakes planned out as in my 1st post. Kind of glad I didn't go out at Japfest as my brakes were stock too lol!

Holy body roll Batman! That's crazy! :D

PI springs work quite well on my NA, and the 3-point rear brace/C-pillar should help too

Just spotted the triple pod pillar thingy, does it fit well and where did you get it? I now need one lol

What body roll? Back then i had the whiteline springs oem 3 point rear strut brace, anti lift kit and whiteline front arb. Track really tests the handling tbf and them pics were on a long slight right hander at llandow. Must have been close to rolling it in the bus stop haha.

An the 3 gauge pod is just sitting in my garage somewhere lol just had to drill a hole in the metal on the A pillar and put self tapping screw through the gauge holder into the pillar.

Wow I was expecting you to have stock suspension bar the springs :D

Were the Whiteline springs just not stiff? I might try banging on the RARB from the NA for the day too if I can find someone to fit it

Wheyy you wanna sell it to me? :p

im sorry to say this but me and jellybaby was brain storming over a few different set ups for his motor at jap fest and a bunch of wat i can only discribe as prats came over slateing the starlets saying thy wer not reliable and we should just go with hondas. like every 1 else, i have my suspitions on ho thy wer and got the impression thy just bolt stuff on and expect everything to just run forever with no checks or prep work. (like hondas are good at). im afraid to say thy are playing at tunning and raceing cars. and may be thy should i fact just stick to hondas as thy do take lots of stick (good for tunners with not much clue) and are almost track ready. thy realy got peoples backs up.

building and manitaining track cars is a very indepth art and tolerances are taken to a fine line. this is wer u find that extra bit of power and also get reliabilaty, also if people think thy can spend thousands of pounds once and get a amazingly fast motor for the track thy are very much mistaken race machines are rebuilt every 24 hours hard race as a rule.

chris

not true mat, oil presure will drop slowly as the parts start to let go (rod bolts) it about minamasing damage, say for instance your engine block. but i do know wat your getting at its not just the lubricated parts that wer or let go a rod can be weakend in service and let go on track. oil presure can tell u lots about wats going on in side the engine. its a must in all engines ifu ask me.

chris

A men to that! my oil presure guage is my best friend when giving it the right foot! can tell loads from what its showing!

amjad if you fook the engine me and turbo grant can rebuild it cheap for you if you like so long as you bring the car, or at least the engine back to southampton :p

building and manitaining track cars is a very indepth art and tolerances are taken to a fine line. this is wer u find that extra bit of power and also get reliabilaty, also if people think thy can spend thousands of pounds once and get a amazingly fast motor for the track thy are very much mistaken race machines are rebuilt every 24 hours hard race as a rule.

chris

Yeah I remember you and Craig telling me about that, sound like a bunch of prats tbf!

I see what you mean, not expecting a racing car, just want it to be reliable yet quick so I can track it a few times a year

A men to that! my oil presure guage is my best friend when giving it the right foot! can tell loads from what its showing!

amjad if you fook the engine me and turbo grant can rebuild it cheap for you if you like so long as you bring the car, or at least the engine back to southampton :p

What sorts of things do changes oil pressure indicate?

Thanks Tom let's hope it doesn't come to needing a rebuild ey! Haha

all my gt has is the factory front top brace other then the lowering springs the set-up is stock.

i would like to do more bracing if i was to track prep it a bit more.

which track session for japfest 2 are you thinking of booking as im looking to go but my local club DJCC.CO.UK isnt interested in going.