Employment Contract Terms

Hi Guys and Girls,

i dont know if anyones gonna be able to help me but im gonna give it a try anyway...

im currently employed as a photocopier field engineer and i drive around the country in a company car fixing photocopiers and stuff... which is great fun!

this week i have had a bit of a dispute with the boss regarding the terms of my contract and the times i work.

he believes that, although it states in my contract that i work from 9.00am to 5.30pm, i have to arrive at my first customer at 9.00am regardless of what time i have to leave to get there. so if i need to be in birmingham for 9.00am and it takes me an hour, i leave at 8.00am. which i dont have an issue with.... BUT.... where the dispute lies...

what time would i then be entitled to finish work?

he said that i am contracted to finish work at 5.30pm and if it takes me another hour to get home, tough shit...

i believe that if i start work at 8.00am i should be entitled to finish at 4.30pm, but he insists travel time "doesnt count".

there is no mention of travelling time in my contract...

any ideas? am i being stupid?

At my work, travelling time doesnt count. This isn't so bad because i work in a workshop most of the time, but if we have a job at a quayside away from work, we still dont get paid for travelling to it if it is first thing in the morning etc that we are going to that job?

I can see where your boss is coming from about being at the first job at your start time, and if that is the case then you should be working your 9-5.30pm.

Thats my opinion though bud, could be totally wrong.

I can see where your boss is coming from about being at the first job at your start time, and if that is the case then you should be working your 9-5.30pm.

Makes so much sense to me, your not working if your driving home, whats the difference in any other person driving to and from work, they dont get paid for that.

as above mate. its the same as anyone going to work. I've got a mate that basically does the same but hes a bakery engineer for all the equipment and if hes working in inverness hes up at 5 to travel the 3 hours there. be thankful youve got a company car most likely with fuel paid . im a bricklayer and got put on a site 40 miles further than i used to be so thats 80 quid a day in petrol I've got to fork out to get 2 and from work.

I'm grateful for the replies... I suppose I'm just being an arse! It's funny cus I've done this job for nearly a year now, but it's only become an issue this week for me!

Dont think hardly anyone get payed for Travel time bud.

I used to start work at 7.30am.... Was up and leaving at 5.20am every day

Not leaving site until 5pm and then not getting home until 7pm ish

Only got payed for my time on site :)

as above mate. its the same as anyone going to work. I've got a mate that basically does the same but hes a bakery engineer for all the equipment and if hes working in inverness hes up at 5 to travel the 3 hours there. be thankful youve got a company car most likely with fuel paid . im a bricklayer and got put on a site 40 miles further than i used to be so thats 80 quid a day in petrol I've got to fork out to get 2 and from work.

£80 a day in fuel??? whut????

i dont get payed travel time but one of the plumbers said to the boss that hes happy to drive the usual hoour to and from work but if there sending him further away its being done in work time not his so say he works 2 hours away, he sets of at the same time he usually would if it was an hour away, no idea how he got away with it though

it depends on who you work for, i live an hour away from my work and obviously don't get paid for travel timw but my girlfriend was on placement last month and she was working between 2 offices and they told her to take her travel time as "toil" so if she was travelling from one office to the other and it took her half an hour she either left half an hour early or came in half an hour later the next day providing she didn't have appointments.

you don't start the actual job at 8 so your boss is right.