Show me your Catch Cans!

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, but what happens when you hook this up with a turbo setup, pre-turbo?

The wheel in the turbine would create more suction...and that suction would greatly increase the more throttle you give it.

That's a good point. I'm an n/a man so i'm not sure to be honest but I guess it would. The turbo then has an added benefit that the blow by gets drawn out either way because when there is boost in the manifold there is no vacuum. I can tell you tho that anything being drawn from the valve cover would still pass though the catch can.

So untill the turbo starts spinning it would act like an n/a.

Gavin

If using only 1 catch can, this is the only way I see you being able to use the system to its most efficient potential...

2011-06-17105313.jpg

and you really wouldnt even need the PCV on the rocker cover anymore with it that way.

I really thought I had it, now it looks as though I was miles out!

What happened to PCV Breather - Catch Can - One Way Valve - Intake?

And the other breather going to the intake with a catch can in-between?

Jamie

I really thought I had it, now it looks as though I was miles out!

What happened to PCV Breather - Catch Can - One Way Valve - Intake?

And the other breather going to the intake with a catch can in-between?

Jamie

You can do it like that but this is a way of doing it to both pipes with only one can.

Gavin

If using only 1 catch can, this is the only way I see you being able to use the system to its most efficient potential...

2011-06-17105313.jpg

and you really wouldnt even need the PCV on the rocker cover anymore with it that way.

In my humble opinion, that does not work.

Gavin

Why wouldnt that work?

It would under boost. When under vacuum it would be worse than stock because nothing is being drawn directly from the valve cover. Vacuum would draw air into the can then into the manifold, missing out the valve cover.

I give up!

Gavin

Ok, I see your point...

Hmmmm, its got me wondering how you would set it up with 1 can on a turbo system now???

I think the way I have it would still work on a turbo. Chris will tell you, I think he knows a little more about turbos than me.

i still quit lol there no reason to have a racespec rocker cover really is ther

I guess the point of a race spec cover is the bigger bore lines designed to be used with inline PCV/check valves.

Gavin

wen the hrottle is open the tube (intake ducting) will hit peak flow and thn any other pipes connected will have air scavanged from (breather). just try putting your hand over your thottle port and u will see wat kind of pump the engine is, and yes this 3 pipe system is a total fail instead of wasting time placing a 3rd hole in the rocker y not put 1 in the crank caseing at the back of the block. this is wer i would idealy put a breather pipe. thr is a vac of around 24in vac wen throttle closed (inlet manifold, not intake ducting), and a vac of around 15in on full throttle in both inlet and inlet track, now with the turbo on full spool will only create around 22in vac in the inlet ducting and if it is higher thn u have a bad restriction before the turbo (ducting to narrow). com on lads this is simple tunnig now we talking about sorry no offence but com on.

chris

we need to get these drawings on/in a how to catch can the standard rocker is ideal for wat is needed, i might how ever put a breather direct in the block (crank caseing). if u have neg press in the engine block it helps reduce oil and engine temps removes blow by gasses and remove a force acting againts the pistons think about it,

thy should only act as a pump in 1 direction.

all the systems i have seen on peoples cars are poor to say the leaste. this is why i want to bring it to all your atentions. just trying to help squeeze every last drip of power out. also helping economy and reliability.

chris

No, vacuum is stronger at idle. At full throttle vacuum is nill and on a turbo vacuum goes as soon as boost kicks in.

Gavin

this is why u put it in before the turbo and after the filter the turbo always sucks.

chris

do not even think about puting a pipe in after the turbo bad bad idea.