Show me your Catch Cans!

@Ian but then are you not just pressurising the catch tank and end up damaging the seals like was said in one of the first posts?

Were have the correct way to do it for everyone on here soon lol

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ enzo isn't that the point of the catch tank though to catch the liquid oil and ventilate the fine gas vapour oil? Therefore not leaving a trail of oil as the can is doing it's purpose?

@Ian but then are you not just pressurising the catch tank and end up damaging the seals like was said in one of the first posts?

Were have the correct way to do it for everyone on here soon lol

No because you are still venting pressure through the pvc valve as normal and the secondary breather. Its basically like the stock breather setup but with a catch can to stop unwanted vapours going back in the inlet.

@ enzo isn't that the point of the catch tank though to catch the liquid oil and ventilate the fine gas vapour oil? Therefore not leaving a trail of oil as the can is doing it's purpose?

Yes u are correct however it is not as effective as using the vacum from the inlet and its illegal.

i cant belive such a simple thing can cause such a masive head fuck, makes me question u guys. can some 1 tell me wat thr aim of fitting a catch can is. and wat problems with this exact engine thy are trying to solve.

chris

i made a lad on here sell his race tech rocker cover as he was blowing engine seals for fun but was running 1 bar of booste. and the engine was worn (leak off test carried out) my point is if u remove the pcv or the inlet track breater u are going backwards from standard engine breathing, and as far as venting to atmosphere goes thr are ways but i think u will just cause your self problems. and not to be done if u ask me. these race tech rocker covers make me want to shake som 1 and that person is the makers (really crap). thr i said it.

i cant belive such a simple thing can cause such a masive head fuck, makes me question u guys. can some 1 tell me wat thr aim of fitting a catch can is. and wat problems with this exact engine thy are trying to solve.

I use a catch can to try help prevent oil vapours entering the intake via the pcv valve.

Why do you use one?

Im not trying to complicate anything... I fit my can inbetween the pcv valve and the intake... simple.

true dat lol. but as much as i like all the tech talk and appreciate how muh you guys understand whats going on with the engines i dont think its fair to make everyone else seem stupid for not knowing. perhaps one of you could put up a detailed thread about this and about why race tech rockers as so bad since this question gets asked alot and get the thread made a sticky lol

sorry if i com across like that lads just very simple thing for me, plus i have recent quit smoking so AARRRRRHH to everything that looks at me!!!. this is so simple so so so simple, its more frustration thn anything i think i have seen 1 starbo rocker cover with the correct fitted can in all the meets and shows i have bin to. and very sorry if i have made any 1 feel shit just very frustrated by this. as people turn booste up but cant fit a simple breather can think that shiz is backwards.

as for y i would fit a can to this engine well the TB would be my first port of call thy get very mucked up with oil from the inlet breather, this is the main cause of peoples idleing problems a simple clean will yeild big results try it for your self i think u will find it awsome. so the can needs to go in the line that connect to the intake track and this is found before the turbo on the efi pipe thw the recert valve (never ever after the turbo). like i said sorry if i have upset any 1 but som times i feel the need to get u lads to think about wat and y u are doing these things. i could just give u the answers but u will not understand y or wat exact u are doing.

sorry once again if im getting a bit cocky thats not me just want u lads to stop and ask y u are doing these things. this engine breaths very well on its own and very good with just the pcv valve in and a filter head placed on the recert valve port (big port in the top of the rocker cover) which leads me to belive the cans are just under bonnet bling.

this is y u get suposing tunners on here walking round japfest talking ball bags telling people that these cars are unreliable and brake down, wen thy thm selfs do not understand wat thy doing with things so simple but completely nessersery. i would not give thm a butty to tuneer, rant over. (i need a holiday)

consider my neck wound back in

chris xxxxxxx

I can understand about there being nothing to pull the gases out of the catch tank but would it not flow anyway due to the greater air mass pressure creating the pressure to blow it out naturally almost in the same principle as reverse scoops the difference in air mass pressure is what creates the vacuum to let the heat dissipate? Also the inlet manifold pipe has been blocked off rather than contaminating the inlet charge in anyway and not leaving the hole there.

this argument falls flat on its face wen u bring block swet into the equation.

chris

no offence ment fella.

stay away from the fags. lol i just thot that something like this thats so simple for you and causes so much debate everywhere else could have used a proper answer and after reading your reply i now think catch cans are the devil :) thats the one thing i think this site lacks is alot of tech threads just explaining frequently asked questions. the knowledge you have on engines is awesome tho. the tech section should be yours :)

maybe if you put a catch can between your mouth and your fag it will help keep your breathing system healthy ?

Russell

lol yep give it to me boys i do deserv it. am just used to going on the tech sites and if u even ask about a catch can you in for a ride donkey kong style.

chris

p.s just burnt som toast. and hung around in the kitchen for 5 so am good now. feeuuw.

stay away from the fags. lol i just thot that something like this thats so simple for you and causes so much debate everywhere else could have used a proper answer and after reading your reply i now think catch cans are the devil :) thats the one thing i think this site lacks is alot of tech threads just explaining frequently asked questions. the knowledge you have on engines is awesome tho. the tech section should be yours :)

maybe if you put a catch can between your mouth and your fag it will help keep your breathing system healthy ?

Russell

thr are alot of my ideas that at the moment are just thery like using the flat top pistons for the N/A i need to find out the valve to piston clearance if im to skim lots off the head. might need to have som pistons made up.

No because you are still venting pressure through the pvc valve as normal and the secondary breather. Its basically like the stock breather setup but with a catch can to stop unwanted vapours going back in the inlet.

You will be pressurising the catch tank if its between the stock pcv and inlet, it will probably be ok but ideally you would put another one way valve after the inlet and before the catch tank, but then the stock pcv isn't really doing anything so can be gutted and/or enlarged.

The best way imo, is having the catch tank between pcv and inlet with a single one way valve before the catch tank, then another line from the breather on the rocker cover tee'd into the inlet pre turbo with another catch can in this line. The only problem this may have is if you experience turbo chatter as then this pressure through the turbo could actually pressurise the rocker cover but you obviously dont want to fit a one way valve as then it will no longer act as a breather.

I'm going to run this setup but with just one catch tank between pcv and inlet (with a second one way valve) and just a straight line from the breather tee'd into the inlet pre turbo.

wat is your reasoning for having 1 on the pcv, wat problem u solving, here we go again.

chris

the main problem with this system is the large breather runs most of the time (wen ever u off closed throttle position) and it is this breather that fouls the throttle body and causes stalling and flat spots on set off and irratic idle even with a large intercooler to pass thw. i have seen it to many times, as it is this breather that get rid of crank case gasses on full chat. so putting a catch can in this line makes sence but wat problem u fixing on the pcv fella please do tell.

the main problem with after TB fouling is that oil gets on the inlet valve back face and because of the heat created in the combustion process heats the valve head up and cooks the oil (now carbon) on to the back of the valve this then build up and starts to restric the valve on low lift. now with this engine being of batch firing efi the valve head is cleaned along with the head inlet ports and the oil/carbon acts like a retardant (EGR) kind of. hence no problem with the pcv. hence y i leave it alone. if u running a sequential firing efi thn u would have to look at this agian and might have to work out valve time open and cross ref to injector duty, i would think u could just overlap the two in order to cool the inlet valve head and also add alittle vapour to the next round of inlet charge + cleaning the valve head. this is 1 of the reasons y the new fsi direct injection engines have complex breather systems in order to not foul the inlet valve

If oil vapour/contaminants come out of the breather would they not also come out the pcv port?

EDIT-Since you edited your post. :)

Ok so your saying the best place to have a single catch tank is between the main rocker cover breather and inlet pre turbo?

My question above still stands-why does more oil vapour /contaminants come out of the breather port? I've seen catch cans inbetween the inlet and pcv with plenty oil collected?