Show me your Catch Cans!

Imo still not the most effective way :) but yeah will work fine as long as pcv valve is gutted :)

what way would you do it?

and my pcv valve is gutted it vents fine just doesnt look to good coming throught the vent in my varis bonnet now and then

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont get what gutting a pvc is or how to set up a catch can noww lol !

im assuming here ... that the crankcase ventilation pressure valve should breathe normally anyway as thats what its designed to do? gutting it will just help it breathe more naturally?

think its if you put different lines on it like giggz's with the annodised joiners? cant remember the proper name for them atm lol instead of just putting hose onto the standard like mine and russleh's?

gutting the pvc valve helps because as standard it closes under boost so only leaves you with the one breather. probably designed like that because the one breather could cope with the standard boost levels but maybe better to have 2 for modding the engine.

gutting the pvc valve helps because as standard it closes under boost so only leaves you with the one breather. probably designed like that because the one breather could cope with the standard boost levels but maybe better to have 2 for modding the engine.

like the race tech rocker cover? will double check mine tomorrow then it still breaths when mines off just got off boost and somtimes on idle when warming up

lol, lov u guys its easy, just put a catch can in the line that would normaly go to the recert valve on the standard engine big port (none vented to atmosphere), and if 1 of u guys says that u have taken the efi pipe off, i will tell u to look further than your noise and ask u to think wat pipe u replaced the efi pipe with and wer the efi pipe plumbs up to and wat its porpose is. sparky has a good example of a catch can using negative air presure from under the car, proper race style. lets see som brain action boys.

giggz is it wrong if im thinking about tossing 1 off to your avator, think im in lov i cant stop watching it :):)

STOP NO NEED TO GUT ANYTHING, lets not make a meal of somthing so simple and that that important on this engine. and yes catch cans plumbed in wrong will blow engine seals and will get even worse if u running big boost.

STOP NO NEED TO GUT ANYTHING, lets not make a meal of somthing so simple and that that important on this engine. and yes catch cans plumbed in wrong will blow engine seals and will get even worse if u running big boost.

Not strictly true, the pcv valve only opens under vacum... so if u have a catch can that connects to the breather + the pcv valve and is then vented to atmosphere then there is no vacum to open the pcv valve. so it stays closed all the time. Thats why u gut it :)

Not strictly true, the pcv valve only opens under vacum... so if u have a catch can that connects to the breather + the pcv valve and is then vented to atmosphere then there is no vacum to open the pcv valve. so it stays closed all the time. Thats why u gut it :)

sorry mate but wat alot a tosh, do not vent the catch can to atmosphere leave the pcv valve alone, can u know please explain how the full breather system works espeshaly on full chat (no vac), im not saying put the can any wer near the pcv leave that pipe alone. trust me i can explain how it works in great depth.

chris

no offence ment fella but if u use the pcv pipe and if u gut the valve u will be doing the inlet track (manifold plenum chamber a injustice) you will create a extra chamber like the brake servo and unbalance the system (turbulant air) thats the reason y the pcv valve is so restrictive. please people y u think these things are thr read enzo e123456 build thread me and him was just talking about catch can plumbing. y make somthing so simple into a masive shit. and if u say to get rid of the engine vapor totaly from the inlet track i would say y it aks like a egr valve, but it is the heat soak that can be improved upon.

sorry mate but wat alot a tosh, do not vent the catch can to atmosphere leave the pcv valve alone, can u know please explain how the full breather system works espeshaly on full chat (no vac), im not saying put the can any wer near the pcv leave that pipe alone. trust me i can explain how it works in great depth.

chris

Sorry buddy but im not quite understanding what your saying. Are you saying that when fitting a catch can you disregard the pcv valve completely?

i think thats what he is saying... you dont touch the pcv valve at all, "it creates an extra chamber like the brake servo and will unbalance the system"

That's if it's going back into the inlet manifold were talking about hosing it into the catch tank with the rocker cover breather then venting to atmosphere

Oh. LOL. I would suggest you read up on how engine breathing systems work!

Gavin

That's if it's going back into the inlet manifold were talking about hosing it into the catch tank with the rocker cover breather then venting to atmosphere

Think there has been some confusion, as ForgedV said you would only gut the pcv valve if venting to atmosphere. Obviously if venting back in to the intake then it would not be touched.

Cool. Just wanna say you should never vent to atmosphere because if you run both rocker cover lines to a can that is vented there is nothing pulling the gases out or if you run one line to a vented can and leave the other in place you have basically drilled a hole in your manifold.

You should place the can in line with one of the rocker cover lines, which one is under debate.

Even when the PCV valve is closed and that's most of the time the other line is still drawing the gases out without fresh air being let in like it would when the PCV valve is open.

Gavin

I can understand about there being nothing to pull the gases out of the catch tank but would it not flow anyway due to the greater air mass pressure creating the pressure to blow it out naturally almost in the same principle as reverse scoops the difference in air mass pressure is what creates the vacuum to let the heat dissipate? Also the inlet manifold pipe has been blocked off rather than contaminating the inlet charge in anyway and not leaving the hole there.

Cool. Just wanna say you should never vent to atmosphere because if you run both rocker cover lines to a can that is vented there is nothing pulling the gases out or if you run one line to a vented can and leave the other in place you have basically drilled a hole in your manifold.

You should place the can in line with one of the rocker cover lines, which one is under debate.

Even when the PCV valve is closed and that's most of the time the other line is still drawing the gases out without fresh air being let in like it would when the PCV valve is open.

Gavin

Totally agree. When people vent to the atmosphere the pressure in the crankcase is suppost to be enough to draw the vapours into the can... thats the theory anyway. IMO the only way to plumb in a catch can is inbetween the pcv valve and the inlet... nothing venting to atmosphere. Many people have different opinions to me tho :)

Well back in the day when manufacturers did vent to atmosphere they used a tube that went somewhere under the car and was positioned as to create a vacuum via the venturi effect to draw the gases out.

But that's no good for emissions and it left a trail of oil down the center of the road.

Gavin