Show me your Catch Cans!

and by the way an engine on full chat creats more volume of blowby gasses thn a engine on idle, thimk about it how many cycles a second more it doing this is wer block vac comes into its own and the LARGE port on the top of the rocker cover is that size for a reason, at this point engine temps will be high meaning more oil vapour and the crank is having a whale of a time in the oil filled sump. this to me is wen u need an effective breather.

chris

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wen the hrottle is open the tube (intake ducting) will hit peak flow and thn any other pipes connected will have air scavanged from (breather). just try putting your hand over your thottle port and u will see wat kind of pump the engine is, and yes this 3 pipe system is a total fail instead of wasting time placing a 3rd hole in the rocker y not put 1 in the crank caseing at the back of the block. this is wer i would idealy put a breather pipe. thr is a vac of around 24in vac wen throttle closed (inlet manifold, not intake ducting), and a vac of around 15in on full throttle in both inlet and inlet track, now with the turbo on full spool will only create around 22in vac in the inlet ducting and if it is higher thn u have a bad restriction before the turbo (ducting to narrow). com on lads this is simple tunnig now we talking about sorry no offence but com on.

chris

Does'nt seem to be causing much problems on this

http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showth...&highlight=

Does'nt seem to be causing much problems on this

http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showth...&highlight=

lol, such a ignarent approuch to engine design, i am only interested in improving from standard not just making a nice looking hering. its up to u lads to take note or not but i can tell the breather system works the way it does for lots of reasons. and wen u say causing problems if i was to get hold of this engine i bet i could show u the exact problem its causing in your crankcase.

thats the 1 but i was not even going to try and explain this setup. i know it can be done but i had not even fronted it yet, good work gavin this is the 1 can way.

which makes the racetec look like a total bodge job.

chris

now all the lads making air filter relocation kits needs to incorp this to thr kits or eles thy next on my hate/hit list hehehehehe

just a question obviously because i make these kits. from the drawing above could the pipe going into the air filter piping. not be t-pieced off the turbo housing nipple that feeds to the actuator? also i need to speak to you about these catch cans because im going to make a twin pot one that doesn't take tons of space etc that will do the job correctly. and offer it to other members

cheers Dean

just a question obviously because i make these kits. from the drawing above could the pipe going into the air filter piping. not be t-pieced off the turbo housing nipple that feeds to the actuator? also i need to speak to you about these catch cans because im going to make a twin pot one that doesn't take tons of space etc that will do the job correctly. and offer it to other members meter

cheers Dean

no mate this pipe is after the turbo impela, u want to place a pipe the same internal diameter as the large breater port on the top of the rocker cover to your kits closer to the filter head but this is depending on how long and diameter size. but u can test your system useing a simple monometer u can make thm out of clear tubing look thm up this is wat i use to tune my intake system.

no mate this pipe is after the turbo impela, u want to place a pipe the same internal diameter as the large breater port on the top of the rocker cover to your kits closer to the filter head but this is depending on how long and diameter size. but u can test your system useing a simple monometer u can make thm out of clear tubing look thm up this is wat i use to tune my intake system.

So basically what you are saying everybody with after market inlets have the breather system done wrong. What about the way this is setup 20 seconds in

these guys dont dont know what they are doing either according to you.

this system is not complex and i do not understand y people getting this so wrong, my only conclustion is people are either misinformed or just not bothering to understand the system or thy do not care about engine breathing and like bling either way its a simple anuff system and as u can see for your self works and does an affective job. the fact are in front of u make up your own mind. thr are many different breather systems and thr is a BMW system that has a rear diff breather going into the inlet track???. we have informed you how it works now start putting 2&2 together and try not to make 5.

chris

looking at the vid i cant c how thy running the breather, look how thy useing a N/A rocker cover (no big port for breather) i would say thy have put a block breather in as the large port is important for not presurizing the crank case its used as a vent in most peoples design (race spec covers). this is getting a bit childish finding random pics of engine bays and saying look we can see about a 3rd of a breather set up figure it out. as said the facts are infront of u surly u can work it out if it is a effective system or not.

Dont be getting you nickers in a twist dude I'm only showing you what tuning companies are doing with their breather system and your pretty much condriticing the way all of them are are doing it. If they thought is was causing problems or affecting the cars in anyway I dont think they'd be doing it in all fairness. I could keep pulling pictures of highly reputable tuners setups all day but your going to keep saying they're all wrong maybe you should start telling them how to setup cars.

oh corey thr are many ways and states of tune of a engine and wen u reach a certant point u may have to change things because your set up has strayed to far from standard or new laws com or u have seen a problem with origanal and have figured out a better system, all i am doing is still maintain standard set up thats all not changing anything or trying to reinvent the wheel, and thr are no nickers getting noted here pal, i know how to run my breather, am trying to help u guys. and thr is no point showing me a pic of a engine bay as i need to be able to see the full set up, and u right thr are many tunning companies that seem to get this wrong i think thy think its a miner detail but as i have said before in 1 of my earlyer posts a constant vac in your crank case of 15in vac has bin proven to give hp gains of 3-5% of peak. this to me says it all.

chris

I'm not disagreeing dude your points are well made but when people see the way these companies setup cars they just tend to follow suite really as they know what they are doing maybe. I still run the stock pcv setup I just have a catch can off the other breather venting to the atmosphere dont want gunk getting on my rocker cover under load an I dont want to run it back into the intake where more gunk can get get sucked in.

In the last few days I've put some more thought into trying to use one catch can to catch the oil/blow by/water vapour from both pipes. It is possible but there is a little more plumbing and you need 3 check/non return valves. The advantage to only using one can though is you only have to empty one can and you save a little space!

catch2.png

Gavin

Very nice diagram - I think it would work on the turbo's too - as you say they act the same under vaccuum.

EDIT - The only thing that would concern me (in the first case) is whether the vaccuum from the inlet and hence under the rocker is enough to pull open the check valve and let clean air in - will the whole rocker be under vaccuum due to the inlet, I'm not so sure?

I dont get how in the first picture, you get flow from your intake vacuum source to your pressurized rocker cover???

The set up is actually the same as the stock setup it pulls the vaccuum thorugh the rocker cover and has a hose onto the efi pipe and obviously works - even though there will also be a slight pull from the throttle body inlet the vaccuum through the rocker must be stronger.

• 2 months later...

I've fitted my catch can for the moment just between the rocker cover and inlet manifold but will be connecting it into the air intake too, so for now it looks like this (with one port blocked off) :

CIMG0669.jpg

CIMG0673.jpg

CIMG0670.jpg

One thing to note is that you do need a pcv valve in the system for this setup, a simple one way/check valve will not work. The PCV valve varies the amount it opens according to the vaccuum on it so on idle when the vaccuum is highest the valve is only slightly open then as the vaccuum decreases it opens more. A normal check valve will simply open fully at idle and effectively cause a vaccuum leak.

I've also fitted a mesh strainer inside to make the can more efficient at catching oil/ seperating the oil from the vapours as an empty can won't be completely effective at this.

• 1 year later...

I'm so lost with this thread, is there a simple diagram to show how to fit one of these. I have a filter on the left hand side of my rocker cover and over time it blows oil on my rocker cover so I wanted to stop this. Will I achieve this by fitting a catch can?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Lots of interesting theories. We have actually monitored the effects on crank case pressure. We know exactly what works and what doesn't.

In short, its illegal to run the gases to atmosphere. But it is the best way when on boost. Recirc is better off boost. But certainly not on boost. Also the catch cans off ebay aren't great. There is a blue one pictured above.

Lots of interesting theories. We have actually monitored the effects on crank case pressure. We know exactly what works and what doesn't.

In short, its illegal to run the gases to atmosphere. But it is the best way when on boost. Recirc is better off boost. But certainly not on boost. Also the catch cans off ebay aren't great. There is a blue one pictured above.

Blue one is indeed off ebay but has been fitted with mesh to help the gases coalesce, the actual can is just that no matter what you buy!

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...