* UKSC Insider Tokyo Trip 2009 *

Finally an update on our exclusive UKSC INSIDER @ Tokyo in November Trip!

I've been talking to JGT who is the man in the know as he has lived in Japan, and he has very kindly given us some very helpful pointers from the inside. Of course a UKSC Insider exclusive interview as such haha.

Check out what the man himself had to say...

UKSC Japan Trip Guide - Written by JGT

Ok first things first, you guys need to get yourself some cheap (ish) airline tickets, for this i recommend STA Travel, Benztravel and try Asda flights too. Those company's i have found to be the cheapest for me on the occasions i have travelled to Japan. (links below)

http://www.benztravel.co.uk/flights/index.php

http://www.asda-travel.co.uk/advanced_flight_search.html

http://www.statravel.co.uk

Most of the above sites do offer accommodation, STA Travel are very good at getting cheap deals on accommodation. If your students then try them as you will get discounts. Try the above, but i recommend The New Izu (http://www.izuhotel.co.jp/indexfEnglish.htm).

This small hotel offers cheap single rooms or doubles and group rooms. I have stayed in this hotel on many occasions, the staff are friendly and the rooms are clean. The staff don't really speak much English though, but you will be ok as they understand you want to check in etc.. This hotel is in Ueno, a nice quiet area but in the heart of the city. It's close to Ueno station, and that is about 15 mins from the heart of Tokyo.

The next place i recommend is Hotel Skycourt Kawasaki (http://www.skyc.jp/hotel/english/kawasaki/index.html).

This hotel was very nice, costs a bit more than the New Izu, but is big and has a large restaurant. The hotel itself is a bit tricky to get to however the area has lots of shops for food, restaurants etc.. It's located next to Kawasaki Station, its a major station linking from Shinjuku, Shibuya etc.. The only down side on this location over the Ueno location (new izu) is that Kawasaki is about 25 mins from the heart of Tokyo.

In the link under this paragraph, is a few pages worth of other locations with cheap places to stay. Not just normal places though, but capsule/pod rooms. I personally have not stayed in one in Tokyo as they are too small for me (near 6foot4), these are very cheap, about half the cost of the rooms in the above hotels. You should copy the names of the hotels in the link into google or something to view the websites and then you can check exact rates, locations etc.. The closer into Tokyo the better. Look for locations such as Shinjuku, Shibuya, Ueno, Yokohama, Harajuku and Akihabara. Those locations are about 10 mins max distance wise from eachother so you can save money on rail fares. If i was in a group, i'd recommend this the most. Its cheapest and a guaranteed laugh. Link for pods- - > http://gojapan.about.com/cs/accommodation/...kyocapsule1.htm

I also recommend looking on this website (same as above) http://gojapan.about.com/. In my opinion, it's the most helpfull. It has maps, links to hotels and so much information.

Rail passes, bus passes etc can also be found STA Travel from memory. Or, for example http://www.japantravel.co.uk, that link has cheap prices, you don't need green car prices, just ordinary will do. JR lines are all over Tokyo, Japan. Everywhere you need to go you can get to via a JR line. Another option to think of is to buy your tickets on the day, so when you go somewhere just buy them as you go. 7 days isn't very long, and most train trips within Tokyo are about 700-900yen. It may work out cheaper this way. Some train station staff do speak English, or a little so you can just say the name of the place you want to go and they will give you a price. Just state return or one way. They are atleast always there to help and are friendly offering maps etc.

One of the best things i can say (and an alternative to trains) is rent a car. However you cannot just go show your license and get a car, you have to apply for a IDP (International License) before you leave UK. You can get the forms from your local post office and costs about £12. Its common for people to overlook that part, but it's essential. I'd recommend that only on the days you want to go out of Tokyo, or longer distance like Tsukubu. I got to the circuit by car myself, its further out than Disney Land. Perhaps an hour and a half out, its not really near train stations so without a car its not quite possible. It's worth it, there is always cars racing and the drive out there is great. Some great drift roads and good scenes to capture pics etc.. With Jam and other such tuners being in Tokyo they can be reached by Trains. Places like Zep are in Osaka where i lived. That is 2 and a half hours from Tokyo by Bullet Train. I'd only advise you to take a ride on this train if your going out of Tokyo and on the main line, like Nagoya or Osaka. Its a good experience but if you ride it around Tokyo it will cost heaps and and it wont reach speeds.

So with that all aside, when you arrive in Tokyo the train stations are well signed and easily found. Many people to point you in the right way. The flight is about 11.5hrs to 12.5hrs and the food during the flight isnt great so when you land i'd get some drink and food in you. Mcdonalds etc is right there. Remember before you leave UK buy travel adaptors for you phones. I dont recommend using English phones as it will cost too much. Best bet is International phone cards.

Tokyo in November will be very cold, much like England but its windy so it feels double cold. Still a great crack though, in the Tokyo area there are many clubs like Womb, that club is awesome! Awesome dance tunes, awesome people inside too. Also pubs such as Hub. Hub is mainly for foreign people, so they speak English in there and play good music. Also you can watch K1 and boxing fights etc on TV.

Food is everywhere and cheap, Mcdonalds is a little cheaper than UK. Maybe £3 per medium meal, Japanese food is much better and depending on where you go it will either be very expensive or very cheap. In Ueno, you can get good cheap Japanese meals.

Places i'd recommend on seeing are Tokyo Tower, Shibuya, Harajuku, Akihabara, Shinjuku and my personal fave is Odaiba. Odaiba is a mission to get to but it has the best view of Tokyo and that is where 'Wangans' are held. Around the Tokyo bay bridge are small shops with large truck stops/carparks. That is where the meet's are started. You can usually see the location on video's in YouTube, always looks like under the bridge. That's near Odaiba.

Japan is very different to England in the sense that there is no chavs, almost 0 crime rating and everyone has respect for eachother. With that in mind they expect you to follow, they don't like littering or bad language in public etc..

More links and pics to come soon...

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

id love to do something like that, ive wanted to go to japan more than anything for years. but if i was going to be in tokyo, id be heading to the studio ghibli museum too :lol:

but id have just turned 17 and started college by then so ill be focusing and putting all my money into driving and getting a starlet :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

K we'll be booking flights and sorting stuff out for the UKSC Tokyo Trip this month.

All who are interested please apply within.

UKSC Insider Tokyo Trip Nov '07

1. Enzo + Lianne

2. SiCaln

3. Joz + 1 (maybe +2)

We need confirmation from Coochy, anyone know him? Im not going on tgtt to find him lol.

Peace

Joz

how much will it cost and wat time in november i would love to see japan

Its the week in November that coincides with the Tsukuba Time Attack which we are yet to get a date for Grant.

Roughly £1500 tops to be on the safe side, depending on how much you will need for spending money, necessities are return flights, weekly rail pass, car hire for the time trials and accomodation. Food prices will be predictable, its only for a week.

Read the above information mate to get a better idea of the craic, you'd be more than welcome to join us.

Will you be at the meet on the 21st, I know your waiting on a gearbox but will u still come along with Laura?

I have some friends who live in Saintfield :)

Speak soon

Joz

hi joz yeah i will be at te meet 21st i have a black gt turbo so i will be up in that

thanks for letting me know i would love to go to japan just depends on date

Sure thing man, check this thread for updates, soon as we know the date for the time attack then we can book the flights to coincide.

Look forward to seeing you guys at the meet.

Joz

JGT wont be able to meet up with us in November, hopefully another time tho.

Ive had confirmation that Coochy can't make it in November due to work reasons which is a shame.

All going well we are still going in November, its going to be a really decent week out.

Joz

• 1 month later...