i will be taking my motor on the track and would like to know what track tyres you have been using

i currently have toyo t1r on my wheels at the moment and know they are good enough for the streets but not quite sure about track use

i would like to know what you been running on and what feedback you noticed from using them as well how many laps you would get out them as i know track tyres are expensive but you will gain faster entry and exit speeds as well as more grip = faster lap times + more fun :lol:

if any one has used toyo t1r or any other road tyres that are good enough please post up your feedback

many thanks

raffa

gutted about the H.G going on ya

how much mm tread you reakon you used?

and how many laps or sessions did you go on?

they were fine mate on the few fast laps i did before the headgasket blew! :lol: and they are getting low on tread!
gutted about the H.G going on ya

how much mm tread you reakon you used?

and how many laps or sessions did you go on?

yea itl be reet tho mate! only did about 2-3laps mate so hardly used any i would of thought!

Like the other guys have said if you want real track performance grip, go for either the toyo R888, or if you can afford it and want the best go for the Yokohama A047

They are so soft you can put your nail into them and they are like glue on track, awsome tyres, but with that you trade off life of the tyre. On the road you would probably only get about 6-8000 miles out of them, where as you would get double that with T1R's.

Down to preference i guess, what do you use it more for, track of day use?

my uni royal rainsports held stupidly well in the corners, and i was gunning it every corner, and they hardly wore at all

squeeling every corner haha

T1Rs are awesome for street use, both good in wet and dry even on my GT which obviously has over twice the power of my NA

I used them on track at JF2 for a 15 minute session and it was the major limiting factor on the car preventing me from going faster! The wheels did want to spin up a bit and the grip could have been a bit better, the tyres had melted bits over the tread when I pulled in lol

That being said, after a motorway journey down the melted bits have gone and I have a good 6mm or so left (used maybe 1-2mm on track?)

I can definitely say that T1Rs are a good tyre, but for track you might want a stickier compound :lol:

Note: track time was done on the GT, T1Rs on an NA may have coped a lot better

About tyre pressure, mine were set quite high for the first session (of which I did 2 laps lol) the car wasn't gripping at all

For the second session I remembered to let some air out and it was a lot better!

Yeah on track about 24psi rear 26psi front, you dont need much as the tyres get very hot and the air expands, so less is better.

About tyre pressure, mine were set quite high for the first session (of which I did 2 laps lol) the car wasn't gripping at all

For the second session I remembered to let some air out and it was a lot better!

Without worrying about tyres, why not learn what your car is going to do on normal road tyres? Learn how the car moves about before splashing the cash on R888 etc.

I usually find the folk that have never been on track or very little soon fall off with there super duper tyres... Yep you geaussed it in-experience.

Food for thought.

• 2 months later...

Toyo's are shite tbh, wether it be r1 or r888 or proxie 4's! Yokohama are the best tyre out imo, the prada spec 2 is awesome on road and occasional track and the ao48 (is what taggy ment) is amazing on track or dry road but does wear quick, however they do a medium compound wich lasts a tad longer and is a tiny bit less grippy. The prada spec 2 has strong side walls and is standard on evo's and the ao48 has very storng side walls and is just grippy as hell!! This based on both my own experience with tyres and the fact two of my mates own tyre shops so i have tryed allsorts and have their experience and feed back from the likes of caterham and exige race series customers they both have who all use yoko tyres!

Just my 2p :lol:

Im currently using yokohama parada spec 2's, i find them amazing in the dry also they are quite hardwearing and last a while.

Downside is there not so good in the wet but are still better than some others.

They are also reasonably priced, i can get 4 for £180 for my car, thats only £45 a tyre which cant be complained at with the grip you get on a dry day.